What 40+ year old car would you choose?

Six-cylinder

3 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

How many Cortinas do you have now?

I still have 16 as in my signature, mostly saloons though. I did look for another estate when we got the dog earlier this year as I didn’t want a muddy wet dog in the one currently on the road and the other estates are in varying states of disrepair. Prices are now far higher than a tightwad like me is comfortable with paying so I had to go downmarket and buy a Mercedes for approximately a tenth of current Cortina prices, it is very nice and stands out a lot less which is great. 

5 minutes ago, Shite Ron said:

I still have 16 as in my signature, mostly saloons though. I did look for another estate when we got the dog earlier this year as I didn’t want a muddy wet dog in the one currently on the road and the other estates are in varying states of disrepair. Prices are now far higher than a tightwad like me is comfortable with paying so I had to go downmarket and buy a Mercedes for approximately a tenth of current Cortina prices, it is very nice and stands out a lot less which is great. 

Here's one for uou on less than  5,000 miles 

https://www.carandclassic.co.uk/auctions/1977-ford-cortina-estate-nPwzag

I did a lot of London driving in my (company) Mk2 Cavalier automatic and really, driving position excepted, it was close to ideal.  So I’d go for a Y*suffix Mk2 Cavalier Saloon. In Red. Either SRi (for the Recaros, wheels, and tyres). Although some days I would wish I had gone for a CD with it’s power steering and air-con. Whatever,  It must have a Philips AC 741 digital radio option. 

19488237472_fb2b56b7c0_k_d.jpg

**That puts it out of the 40 year bracket, so temporarily I will have to settle for an X plate SR and it’s carburrated 90hp. 

Image @trigger

I did daily my  P6 3500 and series 1 XJ in that there London.  Tho if it was just the one (no such numbers of cars exist!)  then a lovely  SD1 3500  with its super useful hatch or a Volvo 1/240  estate, folding seats and practicality not having been invented till the mid 80s apparently. Rover and Jag both suffered from the inability to   haul around large/long/awkward shaped objects

53 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

anyone ever swapped a Suzuki GT750 2stroke triple engine into a Trabby???? or a Kwak KH750....now that would be fun!!!

I had a Suzuki GT550 at the same time my sister had a Wartburg estate. They were very similar in sound and fuel consumption. 

I'd have both to defeat ULEZ 🖕🖕

54 minutes ago, barefoot said:

At the risk of being thought an awful pendant, that's not a 944, that's a 924 Carerra & worth about a millionty pounds.

Speaking of 924s, some of them are now over 40 years old. Would definitely be my choice of ULEZ-exempt transport, but then I've already got one. Mine turned 40 this year, so I'm, looking forward to baffling some poor sod behind a Post Office counter who's never heard of the historic vehicle tax exemption next year...

Nena924.JPG

11 hours ago, barefoot said:

At the risk of being thought an awful pendant, that's not a 944, that's a 924 Carerra & worth about a millionty pounds.

Don't make me come over there and roll my eyes at you. 

I am well aware what it is which is why I suggested you might need to find a few quid lying in the street before choosing it as your daily. 

7 hours ago, Daviemck2006 said:

I would go for an astra mk1. Preferably a 1.3gl 3 door in blue with a set of mk1 cavalier rostyles on it. Where have I seen that before? Hmmmmm about 38 years ago when I owned one56d11217294d6551a5e08af14db9dbc6.jpg

Sent from my SM-T585 using Tapatalk

Yeah if I didn't have the 205 one of the Opels would probably be my daily right now. Reliable and good availability of parts (except for some specific bodywork bits), actually I was driving the 1.3 quite regularly back in 2012/2013 and that went fine. Biggest issue with them is rust of course, so having a garage is recommended.

Hmmmm........

Probably a Renault 4GTL, the only issue as everyone knows is rot, and some bits are becoming difficult to get.

Or, Mark 1 Astra 1600, preferably brown.

Not sure I could daily the Capri, yeah I know that's what cars are for etc etc, but I've spunked a lot of money on it, and due to idiots and tea-leaves, I'd be concerned about parking her on the street.

No photo description available.

12 hours ago, Alusilber said:

Speaking of 924s, some of them are now over 40 years old. Would definitely be my choice of ULEZ-exempt transport, but then I've already got one. Mine turned 40 this year, so I'm, looking forward to baffling some poor sod behind a Post Office counter who's never heard of the historic vehicle tax exemption next year...

Nena924.JPG

I have fancied one of those on and off for a while now, what are they like to own and drive?

I hear it was originally meant to be an Audi so might be interesting to do a what if job on one

17 hours ago, MrGTI6 said:

If I lived in the ULEZ and was being forced to get rid of my non-compliant but efficient 1990s car, I would replace it with the smokiest, most antisocial 40-year-old diesel I could possibly find, purely out of spite. 

I read that 900 are thought to have died because of poor air quality in Birmingham last year.

Not all of them are in the city centre where this ULEZ bollocks is.

There are 2.6 million people in Birmingham.

Don't let anyone ever tell you that this ULEZ bollocks is for the greater good. It's a pure tax.

18 hours ago, MrGTI6 said:

If I lived in the ULEZ and was being forced to get rid of my non-compliant but efficient 1990s car, I would replace it with the smokiest, most antisocial 40-year-old diesel I could possibly find, purely out of spite.

This is what used to spit out the back of my 400,000 mile S123. ULEZ compliant 🙉🙈🙊

1817620498_KHM73W.jpg.e3a383f9fddd7fd86e0ff3723c9495ca.jpg

For me Astra Mark 1 1300. The engines on these were so far ahead of the competition that it was the dawn of a new era.  Possibly an Allegro as the road behaviour on these was pretty good although the engines were slow. Wildcard would be a Vauxhall FE Ventora – always wanted to drive one of these with the 3.3 L six. On the Vauxhalls rust would be a major potential problem.

God, there are so many interesting cars. Ford Cortina, Capri. Maybe a Hillman Avenger, or Hunter. My dad had a Skoda Estelle I think it was a 120 LS I  always loved it. 
the best cheap car I ever had, a Saab 99. It cost me £37.00, no one else put a bid on.

but my favourite was the Simca 1000 rear engined and loads of leg room.

15 hours ago, MisterH said:

I have fancied one of those on and off for a while now, what are they like to own and drive?

I hear it was originally meant to be an Audi so might be interesting to do a what if job on one

Interesting styling at half-time. 

abrFZfC.jpg

Slightly Fuego-ish with the wraparound window. 

But look what happens if you put the 100 coupe top on a 924.

nsrc5g1.jpg

I like it, a lot.  Like a slightly scaled-down early 70s supercar, with  a neat body-size and great handling.  I want one.