What 40+ year old car would you choose?

Six-cylinder

The Capri will prove handy - on occasion I want to pop just inside the ULEZ (eg to Muswell Hill or thereabouts) and it'll be the only fleet member allowed in.

IMG_20211005_121746_4.thumb.jpg.1df94a7d193aa83ce39a7c76f96af9ec.jpg

You have to laugh at the fact that the fuel injected, cat fitted Mondeo in the background is banned, but the Capri running carbs, points, condenser etc is allowed...

26 minutes ago, N19 said:

The Capri will prove handy - on occasion I want to pop just inside the ULEZ (eg to Muswell Hill or thereabouts) and it'll be the only fleet member allowed in.

IMG_20211005_121746_4.thumb.jpg.1df94a7d193aa83ce39a7c76f96af9ec.jpg

You have to laugh at the fact that the fuel injected, cat fitted Mondeo in the background is banned, but the Capri running carbs, points, condenser etc is allowed...

I'm hoping that suburban London starts to resemble an episode of The Professionals or The Sweeney with everyone driving around in 70s cars.

Assuming you could find one and get spares for it, any of the B2 shape Audi 80s would make excellent daily drivers. The carb fed 1.8 was the mainstay of the range, 90bhp and decent performance plus comfort, some electrical niceties and a smidge of safety by late 70s standards at least.
Other engines included one of the first turbotractors you didn't need to make apologies for and a sweet 1.9 litre injected 5 pot in the posh CD version.

audi-80-1978-to-1986.jpg

27 minutes ago, catsinthewelder said:

With the other zone in Birmingham I'm starting to feel it's a shame that my Dacia isn't an earlier example.  The 1310 replaced the 1300 around 1979.  Hopefully Miss C's 2015 Corsa will continue to be allowed in for the next 9 years until the Mighty Dacia becomes a historic vehicle.

I thought Brum’s clean air zone was only applicable to commercials and cars would be unaffected?

30 minutes ago, loserone said:

At risk of being a stereotypical rural northerner; drive in London? No ta.  Isn't that why the public transport is so heavily funded?

10 years ago I had to work in Covent Garden. 

It was cheaper, and nicer, to drive in to London and pay £8 for a days parking at some Mews around the corner from Angel station. 

I have since grown up and learned to see what London is, and despair at how Birmingham is following suit.

Manchester, Leeds, neither of you are safe from London. 

Just now, MJK 24 said:

I thought Brum’s clean air zone was only applicable to commercials and cars would be unaffected?

That's Bristol. Birmingham will hound you for every penny regardless.

4 hours ago, Spurious said:

As basic as it gets perhaps? A 2CV/Dyane? Renner 4? Some other good suggestions above too.

I would have said Mini 850 but it would be 100% guaranteed to get nicked. 

In fact, thinking a bit more about it, pretty much anything that age is at risk of getting nicked. Apart from an old FX4, possibly, if any still exist. 

1 minute ago, mk2_craig said:

I would have said Mini 850 but it would be 100% guaranteed to get nicked. 

In fact, thinking a bit more about it, pretty much anything that age is at risk of getting nicked. Apart from an old FX4, possibly, if any still exist. 

If an old FX4 got stolen from outside your house, you could probably stroll to the end of the street and apprehend the thief in time👍 

33 minutes ago, crad said:

two stroke trabant universal

16 minutes ago, D.E said:

I second this.👍

6 minutes ago, warch said:

I can see the powers that be making a sudden decision to specifically outlaw Trabbies should they appear in large numbers in urban areas....

This is exactly the car you need in case you get held up by an environmentalist sit-down protest.

1 hour ago, loserone said:

At risk of being a stereotypical rural northerner; drive in London? No ta.  Isn't that why the public transport is so heavily funded?

I wouldn't say no to a 40 year old mind, probably a 305 or a Renault 16 or similar.

In inner London, yes. My commute from Barnet to Wembley takes me 30-35 minutes Vs the 75 minutes on the bus/tube. And that's only at specific times because one of the buses is ridiculously infrequent, every 30 minutes.

If I'm going into central, definitely get the bus or tube.

If it were something to live with every day then fuel injection is reasonably important. Golf GTi sounds like a nice idea and it won't be too long a wait for 944s to be an option. Hell, if you found a few notes lying in the street you would be struggling to beat this as an easily to live with smoker* that could keep up with modern traffic.

9030873-1-3.jpg&width=960