1989 Renault Express 1.6 diesel thread - DAILY EXPRESS - UK registered, house prices rise wherever this is parked

Lacquer Peel

Just now, cort16 said:

Cool van. How  much of a ball ache is it to get it on UK plates? Did we get these in the UK I can't remember ever seeing them?

It will cost £55 plus 6 months tax at least, I have the French documents they need and it's already MOT tested and has been NOVA declared. It's a fairly straightforward if slow process.

Yes we did get them in the UK as the Renault Extra but they have all but disappeared. They are probably more commonly seen as a facelift version with a more modern grille and teardrop headlights.

4 minutes ago, HMC said:

Looks great, the number 31 right and the end of the plate I think is haute Garonne so if it’s spent it’s life there it’s been sun baked in the south of France, presumably with little or not rot.

Yep it's amazingly clean, just a couple of rust blebs at the bottom windscreen corners and surface rust where paint has worn away on the wings next to the headlights. 

It would be good to get advice about how to preserve the bodywork. 

1 minute ago, HMC said:

Is  the partially glazed rear end some sort of french legislation or fashion? Very common on french c15s also, but seldom seen on uk c15s or extras.

It does seem to be and I think I figured out why - visibility and safety, you can see out of the sides of the van, check for cars coming you way at junctions and roundabouts. 

3 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

Yep it's amazingly clean, just a couple of rust blebs at the bottom windscreen corners and surface rust where paint has worn away on the wings next to the headlights. 

Chainsaw bar and chain oil and drench the thing.

2 hours ago, Lacquer Peel said:

22 minutes ago, wuvvum said:

Get it out of Scotland ASAP.

Unfortunately true.  The reason it's lasted so far is because it's not been in Scotland.  Or indeed anywhere in the UK.  This island is pretty severe for corrosion.  Either park it in a dry dehumidified garage every night, in a swimming pool of waxoyl, or in Southern France.

2 hours ago, Talbot said:

Unfortunately true.  The reason it's lasted so far is because it's not been in Scotland.  Or indeed anywhere in the UK.  This island is pretty severe for corrosion.  Either park it in a dry dehumidified garage every night, in a swimming pool of waxoyl, or in Southern France.

I get it would be more slowing down the inevitable than preventing it from rusting but none of these are good suggestions and it is in Scotland and will likely stay here for a while.