Smoothest riding car?

Timewaster

I recall Clarkson praising the Berlingo for the best ride he'd ever experienced! I don't remember ever travelling in one though, so cannot comment.

To this day, I still get nauseous if reading/looking at a screen while a passenger on A or B roads, doesn't seem to matter what the vehicle is.

Personal chunder history:

Vauxhall Victor estate

Ford Popular 105E

Several ADO16s and minis

Marina (many, many times)

School trip coaches (usually into a plastic bag. I'd got plenty of practice in by that age)

Citroen GS (driven by a lunatic uncle, around Barrow's roads)

My kids (and wife to be fair) are quite happy to be flung about at a rate of knots in my stream of old pugs; 305, 205, partner and 406 being favourites.  The ride of the 305 was sublime, and a good view out from the back too.

Put them in a Saab 9⁵ aero hot, a Honda of some sort, or a Subaru and they soon start complaining when getting a shift on.  Hire stuff like a 330d, an i40 etc have just caused issues and to be fair I found them uncomfortable too

You want good dampers, high profile tyres, and a good view out.  An M59 would certainly achieve that.  There's a lot to be said for Pug rear suspension, when it's not worn out!

Only car I've ever puked in was an E30 318is.

20 hours ago, chodweaver said:

I recall Clarkson praising the Berlingo for the best ride he'd ever experienced! I don't remember ever travelling in one though, so cannot comment.

To this day, I still get nauseous if reading/looking at a screen while a passenger on A or B roads, doesn't seem to matter what the vehicle is.

Personal chunder history:

Vauxhall Victor estate

Ford Popular 105E

Several ADO16s and minis

Marina (many, many times)

School trip coaches (usually into a plastic bag. I'd got plenty of practice in by that age)

Citroen GS (driven by a lunatic uncle, around Barrow's roads)

Yes that’s correct re clarkson. On I player now is a vast array of top gear episodes including episode 1 of the new format from 2002. The studio looks a bit odd and unresolved, and the first item is clarkson on a booze buying road trip in a Berlingo. He was impressed and at no stage was a piano dropped on a BL product.

• 3 weeks later...

I have had a few good contenders. LS400 was very smewthe but its seat comfness is trumped by Volvo. 850, v70(p1 and p2) and 940. I can only imagine an S80 sits at the top f that tree but have never tried one out - only reservation would be if it had big wheels and thin tyres.

Notable mention was a citroen ZX I had. Wallowy in the extreme but excellent all the same.