Jump to content

Peugeot 309 rescue thread.


DoctorRetro

Recommended Posts

40 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

It's definitely looking like a much bigger project that I first imagined, so I'll need loads of encouragement and support of you lot to keep my head up. 

My first view of it being in the pissing rain with 2 flat tyres doesn't help the mood, will see what it's like once this weather improves.

I think a fuel system drain and new fuel in may help the smokiness, it was like a cold start diesel locomotive 😳

 

That sounds like old fuel but it could also be because of the wet weather and using the choke. The BX this morning was especially smoky. Might be a shout siphoning it into the Chevy as that'll run it no problem ;)

I'm near Ashford but I'm at college all week in Somerset. If you don't require them I might be able to get them next weekend and can hold onto them for a while. That being said, might @stuboybe able to lend a hand?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Just now, Fumbler said:

That sounds like old fuel but it could also be because of the wet weather and using the choke. The BX this morning was especially smoky. Might be a shout siphoning it into the Chevy as that'll run it no problem ;)

I'm near Ashford but I'm at college all week in Somerset. Might @stuboybe able to lend a hand?

Chevy's gone.

I think @rob88h is going to help with the wheels.

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

39 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

It's definitely looking like a much bigger project that I first imagined, so I'll need loads of encouragement and support of you lot to keep my head up. 

My first view of it being in the pissing rain with 2 flat tyres doesn't help the mood, will see what it's like once this weather improves.

I think a fuel system drain and new fuel in may help the smokiness, it was like a cold start diesel locomotive 😳

 

Ultimately, you've saved it from being fragged. If you run out of steam or think you've bitten off more than you can chew, I get the impression that there's enough interest on here for someone else to continue recommissioning the old girl. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, DoctorRetro said:

I think @rob88h is going to help with the wheels.

Sorted 👍. Glad I can help! I only had a few laps left of pacing around in my living room before I’d have arranged to get this 309 to mine. You’ve saved me adding another distraction to my other 3 slow progress project cars!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, rob88h said:

Sorted 👍. Glad I can help! I only had a few laps left of pacing around in my living room before I’d have arranged to get this 309 to mine. You’ve saved me adding another distraction to my other 3 slow progress project cars!

You're welcome to pop over and have a look/poke around it anytime

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Interesting that Ford too had a Wedgewood Blue around the same time (our Sierra on a H plate was in that colour, looked ace with the red pinstripe on the rubbing strips) but it was far more vivid.

Random image from Worth point via Google.

Screenshot_20211002_210736.thumb.jpg.66d4ed130ab4c2c7147715035e43c164.jpg

What engine is that?  Don't immediately recognise it by sight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, Rusty_Rocket said:

It's a Simca engine and dates from the early 1960s, not the 'suitcase' engine with the gearbox in the sump.

They are very rugged and reliable, but normally quite, um, 'vocal'!

Everyday's a schoolday
 

Quote
  • XE, GE: 1118cc E1A or 1294cc G1A OHV Simca engine, X with three doors and G with five doors. The 1118 cc engine came with a four speed gearbox, whilst the 1294 cc came with a five speed gearbox. Standard equipment was sparse, featuring a rear bench seat, heated rear window, small wheel centre wheel covers, as well as a flick wipe facility. Options included a rear wash/wipe, side bump strips on the doors, and a pop up sunroof.

Many special editions were based on the X/GE, such as the Sport model, which came with a spoiler and side decals; and also the Sunseeker model, which came with a pop up sunroof, and side decals. In some markets a diesel E model was also available, using the 1905 cc XUD engine. All diesel models carry the D suffix on the model badge (XLD, GLD).

The Special Equipment model available in the United Kingdom in 1989 also added a pop up sunroof and a rear wash/wipe to the standard equipment list. The E designation was replaced by the Style designation, which began as a special edition in 1987, but became a part of the range from 1988, to denote the base model, in line with other contemporary Peugeot models of the time (e.g. the Peugeot 205 Style and the Peugeot 405 Style). The Style was also available with the 1124 cc and 1360 cc TU and 1905 cc XUD (Style D) engines, all with five speed gearboxes, after the Simca units were phased out.

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Everyday's a schoolday
 

 

5 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

 

 

IMG20211002152620.thumb.jpg.1398d0a106c6ba51021a58de3b6c18c7.jpg

 

 

Yep, definitely different to the one in the BX!

IMG_20210305_165019.thumb.jpg.c64d8257c69a6407a9c9bf6a5aef8946.jpg

Interested to see some more photos of it, and hopefully see it one day.  Always had a soft spot for PSA stuff from this era, though have to confess to knowing little about the Peugeot side.  Most folks I knew back when these cars were common had Citroens.  Aside from the one Horizon anyway...and back then I knew nothing of there being a connection between Chrysler and Citroen.

Only been in one 309 that I was looking at buying a few years back.  Was a very late one and I liked it, was just a bit too rusty for me.  Had a supremely comfortable ride and lovely seats.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, sierraman said:

For the love of god unless it’s for shunting round whilst you weld it up don’t fit some 20 year old tyres.

No shit Sherlock 😜

It's going to be a long drawn out process, so I'd rather it at least rolls and looks like a presentable car, so as not to upset any potential Karen's. 😁

 

 

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, sierraman said:

For the love of god unless it’s for shunting round whilst you weld it up don’t fit some 20 year old tyres.

20180304_173625.thumb.jpg.31a22e05aaab27bc19fac29d9039704b.jpg

I've done about 7K miles on the ones I'm offering for free, enough grip on them to be driving about in conditions like that without a problem. I had no idea they were that old till I looked at the date code a few months back.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

16 minutes ago, GeordieInExile said:

Question for Peugeot lickers.

How come the 309s all had poverty spec grey bumpers, including the GTi, whereas a good number of the 205s came with painted ones...?

 

Would that be because the 309 had one-piece plastic mouldings whereas the 205 had a skinny top section (always grey plastic) with a much thinner valance beneath, both front and rear and these were generally body colour?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Jimbob McGregor said:

Would that be because the 309 had one-piece plastic mouldings whereas the 205 had a skinny top section (always grey plastic) with a much thinner valance beneath, both front and rear and these were generally body colour?

It wasn't always grey plastic though, I've seen CJ models where the bumper is all body colour...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, JJ0063 said:

I can’t find any photos but me and @Arthur Foxhakehave fond* memories of these. 
 

*fond for me, fond for mrs foxhake, not so fond for mr foxhake I recall.

I have a pic of it somewhere, hanging off the end of a telehandler by a rope, on its way to be squashed.

That's how I like to remember it.

 

Mr Fish was going to engine swap it, the engine in it was knackered. He started stripping it down and found shitloads of rust underneath, so he fragged it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • DoctorRetro changed the title to Peugeot 309 rescue thread.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...