Peugeot 309 rescue thread. Moving on.

DoctorRetro

5 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

Yep, definitely on the to-do list. Also, lesson learned. Be careful where you put your hands when pushing a 309... 😳 Oops.

IMG20211105120007.jpg

And to think they made Škoda jokes at the time! Great work and great colour. I'd love park my Favorit next to this. Very similar colour and big plastic bumpers. No colour coding here. Excellent. 

1 hour ago, DoctorRetro said:

Figured out the non starting is due to blocked jets, or at least I think so.

Even with gravity pushing fuel, or a temporary in line pump, there's nothing squirting into the carb. When I loosen the centre jet a bit , and pull the throttle, fuel comes out of the base of it.

I haven't got the patience to strip and rebuild the carb at the moment, so I'll shelve that for now. 

Chances are if you take out the jets and emulsion tube, you'll be able to blow carb cleaner through quite a bit of the internal galleries. Pay special attention to where the idle jet connects, as if that's blocked, starting and idling will be incredible hard.

As a bit of a rough & ready solution to unblocking the jets, take them out and soak them in fresh petrol or some acetone (poundland nail polish remover will do). It won’t clean them perfectly but may be enough to remove most of the gunged up petrol. Fine wire to poke out any blockages may be needed. I *think* these are a Solex 34BISA carb

Very impressed with the progress on this car! Cap doffed

That black knurled knob on the wire feed is adjustable and if its too tight or too loose, it will drastically affect the wire speed and stability of the feed.

If you haven't touched the switches since swapping the reel, then it's likely that.

Of course, no gas will cause a very porous weld so that needs sorting too before you get going again.

I must say, I'm very impressed with the repair. 

Cheers

Ben

2 hours ago, DoctorRetro said:

Urgh. Ran out of wire and changed the reel to the new one I had. 

I now can't seem to get the settings right. Any thoughts?

IMG20211106143004.thumb.jpg.d0cb179bde1d379c3257d7d0bad4226b.jpg

Oh, and I've also ran out of gas 🙄 I guess it could be related, if the gas was running low.

First thing to check is the wire is definitely steel, the same diameter as before and that you aren't accidentally using flux cored wire or something.

Also make sure the wire is going through the right groove in the roller for its size.  Easy enough to check the feed by just pulling the trigger and seeing if it's nice and smooth. If it's slipping you might want to tighten the tension down a bit.

A lack of gas is definitely going to result in horrible welds. In fact if you have porous welds from no gas / wind blowing the gas away, it's best to grind them away and lay better ones as they will rust like mad.

Make sure you have a 0.8mm tip if you’ve gone from 0.9.

Ive used loads of 0.8 gasless in the past, never had 0.9.

When I bought my three phase murex, I had a go and it welded shite. Then I realised it had a 0.8 tip, and 0.6 wire. It makes a massive difference.

17 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Stupid question, but how does the tip come off? 

They unscrew. There seem to be at least two types of tip. The smaller "hobby" size and the larger "professional" type. Both seem to be readily available from the likes of Machine Mart etc.Halfords used to sell them as well. Didn't realise. .9 ones were available though. 

33 minutes ago, rickvw72 said:

0.6 mm wire requires more current to melt, as it’s less conductive. Smaller MiGs can struggle with it as they can’t provide enough amps.

Id go 0.8 on everything. I can use both but I’ve been neater with 0.8. I’ve been welding cars for 24years so and 0.8, with proper gas is the way to go.

How does physics work on your planet? It seems to work the opposite way round to the stuff here on earth.