Peugeot 309 rescue thread. Moving on.

DoctorRetro

4 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

Assuming this is a typo as 7mm steel would be better for building a boat!

The rust looks fairly localised, panels are mostly multiple pieces and simple shapes, you could profile a "close enough" sill by hammering a plate over something vaguely sharp like a kerb stone or something.

Can't you see the decimal point! I used a scrap washing machine with a plastic top to form some bits over, when I was doing the Renault 25,a few weeks ago. Necessity is the mother of invention. Once the good Doctor gets started, there'll be no stopping him. Unless the neighbours get together....... 

I've got quite a few pieces of sheet metal, making the pieces should be ok. It just won't be pretty.

I've cut back this far, can't do any more until I figure out how to remove the fuel tank (Haynes manual ordered) .

IMG20211009144610.thumb.jpg.4d1d255f6768cc914d71b6581af5eb71.jpg

IMG20211009144614.thumb.jpg.fe588521878a3f9860ff3b5b87005d77.jpg

Unfortunately found this when working, this will need attention too.

IMG20211009144620.thumb.jpg.1590e267ade1dfe44dd59775bb6cf15e.jpg

Interior reassembled. I only managed to machine wash the base cover. It's not perfect, but a damn sight cleaner than previous.

IMG20211009143528.thumb.jpg.af56924bee61b3bf1b8d42fc37cb2e72.jpg

20180211_151906.thumb.jpg.e52644a5fe903c3d166abb60bee8493c.jpg

Making a sill radius like that is a piece of piss without tools, even in .9mm zintec.  Just stick it on the edge of something approaching a decent workbench/kitchen worktop and push down on either side. Then beat a return onto it if needed or stick it in between 2 bits of angle in a vice if available.

20180210_182245.thumb.jpg.1669346295341f75bd038942e586f7f9.jpg

As suggested earlier I'd personally cheat and stick a bit of flat bar in as a bottom edge and fill in the gaps using as large a piece in each spot as you can get away with to minimise work.

20180218_170922.thumb.jpg.8e3eb51e93d2059a8bb60155c9f3b3e3.jpg

Set the piece back by a Gnats knacker, skim of filler and it'll disappear*.

tmp-cam-1590149256.thumb.jpg.529568ac42b2d5af6cfd9c216c7952d8.jpgtmp-cam-852718001.thumb.jpg.f15c41e9658f7ccef52584ff66fab279.jpg

tmp-cam-1399741157.thumb.jpg.25167ba644b1710527b5ec9a66ad768e.jpg

tmp-cam-1601118737.thumb.jpg.e64399410c274968c4c9ade06ffb6641.jpg

Think yourself lucky it's not 4 feet of inner sill repair plus various other bits and 6 foot plus of full sill on both sides you've got to do, while keeping it ripple free.

https://www.thedarkwob.co.uk/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=265&start=460

That seats  cleaned up well, good for the mojo :-)

Bloody hell, thats great work! Its much better than I thought it would be. To me, the two best times when doing a repair like that are when you've got to the limit of the rust and can sweep all the sparks and crap up, and when the welding is finished with the welds dressed and ready for filling and painting. Again, when you sweep all the sparks and bits of stray welding wire up. It's all good therapy! 

• DoctorRetro changed the title to Peugeot 309 rescue thread - Chop chop .. weld weld? Soon.
39 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

On the driver's side while you weld the passenger sill and vice versa.

You probably don't need to take it out completely but deffo try and lift the carpet in the area you are working on if you don't like fires.

Yep.  I nearly lost an Alfa 33 years ago.  Wedged the carpet up but it fell down and started smoking.  It was probably 20-30 seconds away from becoming a real problem.

Keep a bucket of water handy, just in case.

When i were a nipper my Dad’s Acclaim bust a cambelt while we were in Wales, and a local garage fixed it. I think i told the story on here of how the recovery truck driver was offering me a ciggy - I was about 8 at the time. 

Anyway i’ll never forget when we were there collecting it - there was a car up on the ramp having some welding done underneath it while Dad was talking to the chief grease monkey. Suddenly, I learned a few choice new words as smoke and flames started coming out of the back door of the car, as we were ushered outside and Dad was promptly given the keys to the Acclaim…

3 minutes ago, loserone said:

Or if it needs cleaning anyway, just soak the carpets in advance

Yes,I knew of a garage that would tip a bucket of water onto the carpets before welding commenced.

A watering can can be useful too,as it could be poured more accurately onto anything that maybe smouldering. 

A 2 litre plastic pop bottle with a small hole in the lid is good too.

Best of luck with the welding.

Best thing to use is a squirty bottle of the type used for watering plants, with a trigger.  Mine is a “trigger sprayer” from Wilko. A must I’m afraid, I’ve had a few fires over the years when not bothering and nearly lost a car, managed to save it by running to a fish pond, throwing a bucket in then running back and chucking it on the engine. Fortunately managed to put the 18” high flames out, but there were various bits of the engine bay scorched and melted including lots of the wiring loom. I still have the car, but my mojo went through the floor with it after that happened and I’ve barely worked on it since 😢

One of the most challenging parts of this 'project' is storage. Everything I take off the car needs to be stored inside the car, and space is getting tight.

I'm going to try to get rid of the old wheels, that should clear up a bit of space. 

The AX is now home to the welder.

I need a van! 😁

1 hour ago, SiC said:

Giving passersby arc eye if done outside without a screen. 

That's something else I'll need to consider. Luckily where I work is out of the way, so there's not much in the way of foot traffic, but there's neighbours to think about. You can't always see who's out and about when you're underneath the car. 

I'll try to rig up some sort of sheet / barrier around where I'm working.

11 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

It is yes.

Then you really shouldn't be doing it there, I don't want to piss on your chips but communal areas aren't places for welding cars up, anyone could walk past whilst you are working under the car, people have children who are inquisitive, do you really want to be responsible for potentially injuring a curious child? If you were doing it in the communal area next to my house you'd be told to stop in no uncertain terms.

Just now, DoctorRetro said:

Well I'm not, so keep your 'advice' to yourself. 

Knob, you shouldn't be welding a car up in a shared parking area, I hope your neighbours put a stop to it as its irresponsible to say the least and not particularly neighbourly either.

Luckily I live in a nice quiet square where we all know each other and talk to each other.

The landlord knows what I do, and I keep my car stuff neat and tidy and don't do anything during antisocial hours. The neighbours chat cars and often offer help/advice. My most 'neighbourhood watch type' neighbour was out helping me repair the welder earlier, and often lends me tools etc.

No children live in these flats either, apart from a couple (including my son) who stay at weekends etc, and I wouldn't be doing anything with sparks/heat when they're round anyway. 

It's not like I'm full on running a business or building bangers in the corner, I'm messing about with personal cars for a couple of hours here and there when I can, and keeping everything as 'neighbourly' as I can.

Like I said, unless you know the whole picture, keep your opinions to yourself.😘

1 hour ago, DoctorRetro said:

I'll try to rig up some sort of sheet / barrier around where I'm working.

It's worth doing this anyway, as the slightest breeze will bugger up the welds and make them look like rice crispies.

A good barrier lets you get on with it and not worry about it.