Peugeot 309 rescue thread. Moving on.

DoctorRetro

Starting this so I can keep track of the progress on this lovely* car.

0A108CCB-8C24-4D90-8FF4-18E4A82DFAEA.thumb.jpeg.5a1ad2280c14b7e0e673f39e71fe5d08.jpeg.435974b2a8000819825714b08c6a67d9.jpeg95D5B907-3FA2-4C98-BDFE-0EB346655EEB.thumb.jpeg.424d72d5906d3078959317c05f6b4333.jpeg.4e8c134b29afa1efd0080010d2250085.jpeg

I'm open to suggestions, help, useful links, etc.

I'm reluctant to start asking for contributions etc, because of the obligation and potential bad feeling it creates. But if anyone particularly wants to contribute , I will keep a record of everything so it's all above board and transparent. 

Some AS members have sent contributions, including

@Datsuncog  

@adw1977

@JackThrust

A mention should also go to @outlaw118 for the loan of the welder and @rob88h for collecting the wheels.

Costs, losses, expenses etc will be documented here:

Car cost including delivery: -£310

Donations from AS members: +£121

Wheels and tyres: -£30

Running balance: -£219.

The running balance will be the figure it will be available for sale for, should it come to passing on to any Autoshite member to continue. There will be no profit made by me at all. 

I'll also not include any tools/equipment procured in the running costs, but will document them separately below, for a laugh. Had to guess a few as can't remember/daren't look.

Fuel Pipe - £8

Welder - loaned

Welding gas - £14 

Welding wire - £8

Gas regulator - £19

Pipe - £6

Welding mask - £22

Broom to sweep up rust! - £5

Tin snips - £5

Grinder - £45

Steel sheets - £12

Paint - £15

Sanding discs - £5

These are pretty hardy. I’d suggest renewing the brakes (at the very minimum new discs, callipers, flexis and friction materials) giving it a thorough service (all fluids & filters, plugs, tappets & timing). Have a check for any obvious rust & welding which may need doing while you have the wheels off, plus condition of any rubber bushes and gaiters. Expect things to be recalcitrant to move. New tyres (I think it’s 145 R 13 on XE models) and a thorough clean. Send for test. Hopefully a pass with advisory items or a few major but easily rectified defects. Once roadworthy expect various running in niggles as cars dislike lack of use.

36 minutes ago, dozeydustman said:

These are pretty hardy. I’d suggest renewing the brakes (at the very minimum new discs, callipers, flexis and friction materials) giving it a thorough service (all fluids & filters, plugs, tappets & timing). Have a check for any obvious rust & welding which may need doing while you have the wheels off, plus condition of any rubber bushes and gaiters. Expect things to be recalcitrant to move. New tyres (I think it’s 145 R 13 on XE models) and a thorough clean. Send for test. Hopefully a pass with advisory items or a few major but easily rectified defects. Once roadworthy expect various running in niggles as cars dislike lack of use.

That sounds like a lot!

Fix any rot, change any really ropey looking tyres for cheapo part-wornz, check the lights, wipers and horn and just wallop it in for a test.  See what it fails on.

Top bombing!

Great to see swift and decisive action being taken to reel this one in. It really does look all kinds of wonderful, in a desperately miserable kind of way.

I sincerely wish I was in a position to take a more hands-on approach, but logistics are not working in my favour.

Still, keep an eye on your PMs...

1 hour ago, MondeoBlues said:

I had a GL auto on a K reg until recently. Great little car. Check that sunroof for leaks, mine was about as weatherproof as a fishnet umbrella. 

I went for a 'sort of test drive/sit in' in a 5 door... Sunroof was sealed with an inflating seal?? Went 'ssszzs' when I yalked the release. Also it was 'exterior fit' = it slid in tracks on the roof..??

Didn't decide to buy.... 🤐

6 minutes ago, tooSavvy said:

I went for a 'sort of test drive/sit in' in a 5 door... Sunroof was sealed with an inflating seal?? Went 'ssszzs' when I yalked the release. Also it was 'exterior fit' = it slid in tracks on the roof..??

Didn't decide to buy.... 🤐

Britax vacuum sunroof. Standard fit on 205s/309s. My old 205 DT had one. Didn't leak etc.

Engine - Starts, runs but smells like it's on fire.

Clutch and gearbox - functional, it drove the last few feet.

Interior - rough, mouldy and scruffy.

Body - not too bad but paint is faded.

Underneath - crispy, will check further when I can.

Wheels - two rims rusted and leaking. Tyres perished.

• DoctorRetro changed the title to Peugeot 309 rescue thread - it's here!

It's definitely looking like a much bigger project that I first imagined, so I'll need loads of encouragement and support from you lot to keep my head up. 

My first view of it being in the pissing rain with 2 flat tyres doesn't help the mood, will see what it's like once this weather improves.

I think a fuel system drain and new fuel in may help the smokiness, it was like a cold start diesel locomotive 😳