Peugeot 309 rescue thread. Moving on.

DoctorRetro

13 hours ago, Andyrew said:

If you'd ever like to have a go at a bit of sparkle stick action , im a fair trek from you over in Dunstable . But you would be more than welcome to have a crack at it at the workshop. 

☝️Do this and take up Andy's offer. 

Having the right kit will get it sorted a lot quicker and easier. The right kit is pricey while transporting the car and yourself across will be far cheaper than acquiring that kit.

6 minutes ago, SiC said:

I haven't found welding particularly hard - admittedly I'm not using a £50 welder. But it's the metal fabrication, shaping and finishing that requires the artistic skill and patience. 

I'm deathly scared of grinders, which is one of the reasons I've never welded a car. Watching @Tickmantake flat bits of metal and turn them into bits of car when we were welding up my 205 a few years ago was fascinating. Obviously did a good job too since it's all still in one piece.

11 minutes ago, reb said:

I'm deathly scared of grinders, which is one of the reasons I've never welded a car. Watching @Tickmantake flat bits of metal and turn them into bits of car when we were welding up my 205 a few years ago was fascinating. Obviously did a good job too since it's all still in one piece.

90% you’ll avoid by keeping the guard on. 

3 minutes ago, GingerNuttz said:

Well be prepared to be called all sorts for not having a guard on your death machine. 

I think it was stupid I was called 😂 something along em lines. 

Oh I'm a lot more responsible now I'm older, I even use goggles, instead of hiding behind the wheel arch and squinting like I used to years ago. 

5 minutes ago, DoctorRetro said:

Oh I'm a lot more responsible now I'm older, I even use goggles, instead of hiding behind the wheel arch and squinting like I used to years ago. 

I was the same with trees until I was going MAD MAX with my chainsaw the other day and got half of it in my left eye.  It took two days to get it all out, and never again.  I ought to know better, what with having a friend who now only has one eye...

Being wary of it isn't a bad thing, but it's still probably* statistically safer than actually driving a car.

..Until you get all blasé after using one for years and run it right up at your face without the guard or goggles on.. 

In my experience the handle is more important than the guard. It's not the bits of disc and metal flying around I worry about, it's when it jams and snatches that things get ugly.

I've had thin cutting discs explode and hit me. Didn't really do much damage when it hit my boiler suit.

Also had a piece of metal that I was holding get snagged in a cutting disc which shot off and hit me in the safety goggles. The impact scratched the front of the goggles, bruising my face where they pushed in and the metal impaled itself into the garage roof joist. Thankfully it didn't hit the skin on my face otherwise it'd been a trip to A&E.

Flap discs I've caught on my skin, they cut pretty well. Thankfully a glancing blow and no real damage. Wearing welding gauntlets stops any damage as they just grind off a tad. You can eliminate this risk if you have two hands on the tool. Just not always possible. Plus often easier with one hand.

Cutting disc has slipped and caught the tip of my finger. Cut through the TIG gloves, PU gloves and latex gloves I was wearing. Made a cut on my finger but thankfully minor.

What am I most careful of? The knotted wire wheel. They grab, bite and rip extremely effectively. Also, especially the bigger cup wheels, have a huge amount of energy stored in them. You can feel this as they spin down when the tool is off. My 100mm cup wheel gave me light White finger it vibrated so much. Next time I'm going back to the smaller ones. 

But the knotted wire wheels are superb for removing rust, paint, filler and cleaning up metal without clogging. 

I always use a guard when I can. Just sometimes in a tight spot you really can't get in with one on. When I do remove it, it's for short periods as you've probably guessed from the incidents above, I'm a clumsy fuck.

54 minutes ago, reb said:

The 115mm grinders aren't too bad, just make sure you're wearing proper PPE. If it's just because the shower of sparks is quite unpleasant on bare skin.

Grinding/cutting I wear goggles, ear defenders, mask (not always and then regret it) and if upside down my head shroud. Mostly because the metal dust falling out your hair ends up embedding into the shower/bath and goes rusty. That irritates Mrs SiC quite a bit...

Welding I wear my head shroud if upside down as moultan steel isn't pleasant in the skull and apparently extremely nasty in the ear. Mask too if I'm setting fire to underseal while welding. I always wear safety goggles under my welding helmet. Why? Two reasons. Firstly I've had countless times where red hot balls of steel have rolled inside my visor. Secondly, any half decent pair of Goggles block harmful UV. It's the UV from welding that causes arc eye - not the brightness as such. While safety goggles aren't sufficient for welding, they are an additional protection while wearing the visor if the UV reflects off nearby surfaces (steel and the like) and behind the visor.

I've got burnt from my lower arm being exposed after a day's welding. Doesn't go brown like a suntan, just a couple days soreness. I'm probably ok as it was only once but continuously doing it is a recipe for melanoma. There is a reason why gauntlets go up the arm. Iirc suntan lotion doesn't block the correct UV type from welding processes.

Finally I wear a fire resistant boiler suit over my clothes. Not perfect as steel balls melt through if directly impacted. But if there was bad fire, it gives me a chance to get out without being up flames.

On the subject of fire, always an airline to hand to put it out and 99.9% of the time does it. Second level is a bottle of water. Third level is a CO2 and Powder fire extinguisher to hand - thankfully never had to use. Probably too late if I did have to.

14 minutes ago, SiC said:

What am I most careful of? The knotted wire wheel.

This. Even the tiny ones you use on a drill are brutal if they snag on something, and if you have the trigger locked to 'on' they won't stop causing havoc until you cut the power. I've had one snag on my jumper and burrow into it, snatching the drill from my hands and twisting itself into a frenzy, the drill handle smacking me on the face with each revolution until I managed to reach the plug and pull it out. 

I hate to think what the big ones would do.

48 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

I was the same with trees until I was going MAD MAX with my chainsaw the other day and got half of it in my left eye.  It took two days to get it all out, and never again.  I ought to know better, what with having a friend who now only has one eye...

Chainsaws are the one tool I refuse to use or own. It's if they snag up and kick that has to be watched out for. If you're not wearing the proper safety trousers, it'll rip through normal leg wear and straight into the leg. As there are major arteries in there, the usual failure scenario is cutting one of them open and dieing from blood loss before you have a chance to get to hospital.

There is a reason why proper training courses exist for anyone using them professionally and a requirement.

I haven't found a time where I've needed a chainsaw over either a handsaw or a reciprocating saw. When I do, it would be a rare time I'd be getting a professional in anyway.

19 minutes ago, SiC said:

What am I most careful of? The knotted wire wheel. They grab, bite and rip extremely effectively.

This!

I had a cup brush on my grinder actually run up my arm! Luckily (or not) I was wearing a thick jacket and welding gloves. But this in turn grabbed and twisted the sleeve on the jacket around quite bloody tight!

That was very scary!

15 minutes ago, juular said:

This. Even the tiny ones you use on a drill are brutal if they snag on something, and if you have the trigger locked to 'on' they won't stop causing havoc until you cut the power. I've had one snag on my jumper and burrow into it, snatching the drill from my hands and twisting itself into a frenzy, the drill handle smacking me on the face with each revolution until I managed to reach the plug and pull it out. 

Always two hands on the grinder when using the wire wheel for me. Had too many times when one handed having it snag and kick out of my hand. 

My Makita battery grinder has a rotor brake, so it stops quite quickly when turned off. But I don't use that for the wire wheel very often as the tool was quite expensive and the vibrations from the wire wheel do knacker the grinders.

The wire wheel is permanently attached now to my £25 grinder I got from The Range. Bigger cup wheel generated enough vibration for the grease in the gearbox to leak out as the screws started coming undone! I don't bother with a guard on that as they don't offer any protection on the wire wheel.

Problem is, it doesn't have a brake when switched off. So if you put it down while it's still spinning, it has a habit of running away on the floor until the energy is dissipated. I imagine it'd be rather entertaining* if you dropped one while it was still on. Probably have to do a special dance until it either hits something and stops or you get to the mains plug.

Did manage to break the rotor lock button on it after used one too many times while it still was spinning. Lazy way of removing the attachment as the rotor locks instantly but the energy in the attachment allows it to spin off!

1 hour ago, juular said:

I've had one snag on my jumper and burrow into it, snatching the drill from my hands and twisting itself into a frenzy, the drill handle smacking me on the face with each revolution until I managed to reach the plug and pull it out. 

This shouldn't be funny but the mental picture it evokes is very slap-stick. 

8 hours ago, SiC said:

Chainsaws are the one tool I refuse to use or own. It's if they snag up and kick that has to be watched out for. If you're not wearing the proper safety trousers, it'll rip through normal leg wear and straight into the leg. As there are major arteries in there, the usual failure scenario is cutting one of them open and dieing from blood loss before you have a chance to get to hospital.

There is a reason why proper training courses exist for anyone using them professionally and a requirement.

I haven't found a time where I've needed a chainsaw over either a handsaw or a reciprocating saw. When I do, it would be a rare time I'd be getting a professional in anyway.

1980's council Chainsaw course we HAD to attend....

Don't cut yourself.....dont walk with it running...wear a mask,,,,end of course....

sent us up trees lopping huge chunks off, using them as rotavators...and giving us petrol weed eaters with circular saw blades fitted... all great fun for an 18 Y/O 

That's a throwback! I used to have that little green 309, and it came with a yellow 205 I seem to remember! Probably both still in my parent's loft somewhere. 

Great to see the (full-size) 309 will be getting the attention it deserves. I'll be following this thread with interest, though I must say that number plate is wasted on a petrol-engined 309!

@rob88h arrived this evening with the wheels, and so did the fuel pipe I ordered.

Got the pipe on and got it fired again, it misfires pretty consistently, and also smokes really badly, and smells like death. 

Once I got the wheels fitted I did manage to drive it around in the car park, the brakes and clutch all seem ok.

IMG20211006180910.jpg

On 10/5/2021 at 10:30 PM, MrGTI6 said:

That's a throwback! I used to have that little green 309, and it came with a yellow 205 I seem to remember! Probably both still in my parent's loft somewhere. 

Stopped by my parent's house on the way back from work tonight and thought while I was there I'd have a look for the 309 in the loft! Sure enough it's still there, but no sign of the yellow 205.

309.jpg