Peugeot 309 rescue thread. Moving on.

DoctorRetro

For plug welds, make sure the two pieces of metal are pressed together tightly with no air gap.  If there is any air gap, the weld won't join the two bits of metal together properly.

I have found useful for this, a pair of mole grips and/or welding clamps on either side of the plug hole, as near as possible to it. The grips/clamps may end up joined to the metal witha stray bead from time to time, but the weld won't stick to them and it will all come off OK.

26 minutes ago, Scruffy Bodger said:

Unless you have a really well set up welder that sparks up on the B of the Bang I wouldn't go for 6mm holes, even if the spot welds you drill out are. Drill them out to 8mm, especially if you are a novice, it's surprising just how much difference there is that that extra 2mm will give area wise.

Agreed, 8mm just makes life easier.

23 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

I plug weld along seams, ie. sill bottoms. Looks much neater,and gives the job a "factory finish" if you dress them down to look like spot welds. Not too sure on the Mot status as I've always done the work and painted it up before the test. I use the punch on a joddler to make the holes. Much quicker and neater than drilling, so long as they're near an edge. 

MOT should be fine if they are used to replace spot welded factory joints.

If you can afford, borrow or hire one, a resistance spot welder is a great tool.  Very easy to use - just need a lot of patience getting everything clean and ready.  Even with a long arm set, they have limitations of course.  Some good work in this thread so good luck with getting it going.image.png.14761cdc023978bae684b21d4d34c54a.png

• 2 weeks later...
55 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

Looking good! That rear plate will probably need replacing to avoid an annoying fail.

Yep, definitely on the to-do list. Also, lesson learned. Be careful where you put your hands when pushing a 309... 😳 Oops.

IMG20211105120007.jpg

Just now, vulgalour said:

That's a great bit of work you've done there.  Hope you're proud of it (Dagmar Dents in the tailgate aside, of course).

Not really, I think I can do better. Will see if I can improve when I do the other side.

Dents gone now 😁

IMG20211105162500.jpg

Figured out the non starting is due to blocked jets, or at least I think so.

Even with gravity pushing fuel, or a temporary in line pump, there's nothing squirting into the carb. When I loosen the centre jet a bit , and pull the throttle, fuel comes out of the base of it.

I haven't got the patience to strip and rebuild the carb at the moment, so I'll shelve that for now.