WinterWonderLandCruiser

lesapandre

Looks like we are in for a harsh winter of discontent - maybe this is THE BIG SNOWY ONE...anyway I think the Maya Calender says the world has ended - seems as reliable as any other prediction...

So time to break out my '83 Landcruiser - and first step is to 'winterise' it. So here we go...this series of posts will be about those trials and tribulations.

I'm  taking it into the Pyrenees  this winter too so it needs to be ready and we will see how all this work... well works.

So far I've  purchased this little windscreen heater element (very Paddy Hopkirk) to aid defrosting and am tying to sort out the asmatic heater. 

To be continued...

Screenshot_20211001-092356~2.jpg

Screenshot_20211001-092400~2.jpg

Screenshot_20211001-092416~2.jpg

So far so good. I've MoT'd it for it's trip and given it a run across London to see that everything is ok after a long lay-up. Seems fine. Started first go once the twin 12v batteries were charged. It runs currently on bio-fuel (sunflower currently) so fuel problems are not my problem. Most garages I have seen remain without fuel. I'll move to 100% diesel once it's cold.

Currently running dishwasher tablets in the cooling system to try and degunk the heater matrices and there actually is some heat...but it's warm here...

Nothing to windscreen  defrost vents so far - let's hope it's a stiff cable - otherwise it's a dash-out job alas  

So here is the options:

1. New radiator - the old one is almost 40. There are these spiffing aluminium ones to buy (although the HJ60 is rare in the UK there are 100's keen of owners across the world - imported parts are not a problem).

Screenshot_20211001-174240.jpg

2. Delete the rear heater - a common mod - the independent pipes run under the floor outside the vehicle and lose a lot of warmth - I need to get pipes and unions for that.

3. Install an auxiliary diesel heater for when parked-up/broken down/snowed in - these are Chinese and not expensive. It means cutting the body and welding in a protective compartment - but in comparison to dying of cold not a bad deal.

Screenshot_20211001-174209.thumb.jpg.802c7088a38aab44afd5ab6839770234.jpg

Then it's tyres for snow/ice, some cold weather fuel additive and a look at something to keep the engine warm at night to aid starts. 

The latter avoids having to start a fire under the engine...

5. I'm also thinking of an additional auxiliary pump on the hot water circulation to the heater to help keep things hot and frost free.

So quite a lot to think about. But better to sort it out - then there will be nothing to worry about...

It can get quite tough here:

http://www.bielsa-aragnouet.org/eng/

Chains may be needed too...or skis on the Kyber Pass.

24 minutes ago, BorniteIdentity said:

All these posts and not a single picture of the old lady? Come on. You know I’m a Toyota perv. 

Is there a register you have to sign for that?

Very pretty - worth a trip...just outside Londin off the M11. Greenbelt country and all the better for it  - thought nice to visit I still prefer to live in the inner city...but a nice day out.

Even has a real car spares shop.

No chip stall in the market though.  Diss has a great one - nothing like a freezing East Anglia winters' day, stamping your feet in the market and eating lovely hot chips...

All a bit chi-chi here - but I did find the only chippie in town for a road trip treat

20211009_153421.jpg

20211009_153959.jpg

20211009_153213.jpg

20211009_161411.jpg

18 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

Yes being a 4-litre diesel you'd need to be brave - but given these vehicles  industrial  use it could before an external electric starter?

You aren’t starting a diesel  engine with a handle, unless it has a decompressor valve, but they are jolly handy for engine repairs and set up. 

1 minute ago, iainrcz said:

My old lad had a Landcruiser in this shape. D394 NEE. Silver with I think a red and black stripe.

The do rust. Most die for that reason - or did. Anything  is worth repairing  now.

Just now, lesapandre said:

The do rust. Most die for that reason - or did. Anything  is worth repairing  now.

I'd image it's well dead. I think he had it for a few years in the early 90's.

I think he had his w124 at the same time.

Snap...both epic pieces of design. Anyway this is a roundabout way of continuing  the winterising story...

I have been to collect a self-powered water pump to flush the block and heater core. No idea if it will work...but hey old kit is always fun..

20211009_171155.jpg