What’s your future cars list?

garethj

13 hours ago, garethj said:

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi, these do something like 70mpg and probably drive quite well too.

Mrs TW has one and I can confirm that she only fills it up once or twice between MOTs! 

It's okay to drive, but last time I used it I did about 60 miles and when I got out I could barely walk! I am getting a bit creaky. 

For my list, I'm wishing it  was 2028 when I might be able to afford a Volvo V90

Currently, once the Rover is gone I want to pursue:

B2 Audi 80/90 (either sport or quattro, preferably 5 cyl)

audi_80_1982_photos_2.thumb.jpg.9e0c34bbea065f7b89fed1b45651ccf5.jpg

Again the acceptable face of Audi ownership, problem is all the VAG cultists are driving prices up before I can get in, but I remain positively determined that this is what I want in my barn (also on the list). Due to my tastes being shaped by my grandfather's Audi WR quattro (still have it though it is currently having a Jetronic moment🤪) the want is high. More practically, a B3 90 quattro is also high up, preferably in white and unmolested, I will never forget the despair at what happened to E930 GRG (started like this):

audi-90-quattro-b3-1989-quattro-pinterest-audi-audi-cars.thumb.jpg.a0ad3807605c979ed860b8201496e5c4.jpg

Ended like this:

Накладка на решетку радиатора "Votex". — Audi 80, 1.8 л., 1990 года на  DRIVE2

Can't have it all I suppose and it was the complete other end of the country to me and tbf most of that is reversible, it just is no longer on the road

Also on the list are the:

Isuzu Piazza Turbo

8_80s_coupes_Isuzu.thumb.png.e89589ccc51eed2efd5e24848e5d09b6.png

I have a thing for odd Japanese cars that were officially sold new in the UK, I am not a fan of Imports as I can't deal with the funny number plates, they look all wrong. However I find the sorts of quirky things we did get fascinating, and the Piazza is definitely one that does that for me. I love the looks inside and out, ok so it is a bit agricultural to drive but I don't care.  

Subaru RX Turbo 1.8 4WD

35103083846_da4653fa02_b.thumb.jpg.ea0cbb1ff1eea7dc7dd02d6a7d5bb56f.jpg

Continuing the theme as before, only upping the rarity to 1 survivor. This car (not the one pictured, that died in 06) went through Matthewson's in 2019. Obviously I didn't get it then, but am determined that one day my time will come. Of course parts will be nightmarish to find, but I am trying to think positively.

Other honourable mentions are:

Mitsubishi Galant Sapporo (1987-89) 

49873358672_792d01f7b1_b.jpg

Same reasoning as the Subaru and Piazza, gorgeous styling and the only car that has made me almost forgo my aversion to automatics, though a manual is still preferable for me

Morris Marina TC

morris_marina_711237908316_0-1.thumb.jpg.e0ed6d41d6a5a8ea444289263e9955f8.jpg

I know it's apparently the most dangerous of the lot (my godfather was a BL salesman in the day and he rolled two of them) but I love the way it looks and I do need something 70s to go with the reproduction Sam Tyler jacket I have lying around (excuses of a car addict I know...) 

Renault Megane RenaultSport (2004-6)

s-l1600meg.thumb.jpg.ff87a086ad724bb347a05364c94e21a1.jpg

If I have to be sensible and get something from a period of time I was actually extant in, it will be one of these, this spec, this colour, those wheels. Later ones look too boy racerish, but this one is just crisp and joyous to behold. They look better with each passing day and I would happily run it as a sensible "modern classic daily"

All these cars would be bought and used regularly both for enjoyment and pottering about. Having had access to 2 cars for pretty much my whole driving career has made me realise redundancy is quite a good idea, and any of these will supplement my Volvo 480 quite nicely. I have dreams of being able to drive around listening to an Audi 5 cyl (that isn't in a priceless heirloom), going on a cold war tour,  or pretending I am in my own cut of Life on Mars with final say over who drives what. But really, all these cars provide me with a bit of escapism from the modern world, and indeed, they represent me and what my tastes are. There are 148 saved searches on my eBay at the moment, and the next car I get might be something that isn't on this list, such is the nature of these things, but I am excited for what the future brings...

...of course I need to sell the Rover first to make room (even though it is my only working car at the moment as the Volvo isn't charging) but watch this space

Obviously this isn’t something that normal people do, but we’re in a safe space here, right?

There’s nothing wrong with my current car but if something better (or not) comes up, it’ll be up for sale faster than you can believe.  Money is obviously a limit and my commute is 60 miles a day so fuel economy is important too.  Let’s get on with the countdown!

Honda Insight, it’s like driving the future and should be reliable too.  Unfortunately the only ones for sale right now are 8 grand which is a lot for a car that only has 2 seats

image.thumb.png.8ae328031159f7813123a091edbabaf5.png

Maybe a little more practical and newer too is the Honda CRZ, which seems to be a good steer and I love the way they look.  I went to see two the other week and 4 grand doesn’t buy you a lot.

image.thumb.png.d076f0e0aafa0cf628cb17d4643b239b.png

Vauxhall Ampera.  I know what all Vauxhalls are, but this is quite intriguing and the fact it was an automotive dead end is appealing.

image.thumb.png.165a217f9531c9b0ca3c7b48a5452fa4.png

Audi A2, the acceptable face of Audi ownership.  I’m just not sure about the reliability but it appeals to my inner geek

image.thumb.png.7f1db445944cbe308a713651b7725594.png

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi, these do something like 70mpg and probably drive quite well too.  Finding a good one could be tough and is it really special enough?  Obviously those wheel trims can get in the fucking sea

image.thumb.png.fd0089b2deb459f6b1b2ddbca5ca22e7.png

Peugeot 205 turbo diesel.  What an absolute hoot to drive and they look great too.  Fuel economy is meh but just look at it
image.png.998af3d5d3d2ee0bfd33faea9b3416fe.png

Renault Twingo, although not a posh one like this; I want an early one that’s dented and has lived a bit

image.thumb.png.cfb470d574da8ae7286e96b65fd411e3.png

What’s on your list?

are you me?

apart from the 206

theyre all on my list (mk2 insight would be ok too )

nearly bought an a2 but old git got a go in civic with dash gearchange and liked it

Obviously this isn’t something that normal people do, but we’re in a safe space here, right?

There’s nothing wrong with my current car but if something better (or not) comes up, it’ll be up for sale faster than you can believe.  Money is obviously a limit and my commute is 60 miles a day so fuel economy is important too.  Let’s get on with the countdown!

Honda Insight, it’s like driving the future and should be reliable too.  Unfortunately the only ones for sale right now are 8 grand which is a lot for a car that only has 2 seats

image.thumb.png.8ae328031159f7813123a091edbabaf5.png

Maybe a little more practical and newer too is the Honda CRZ, which seems to be a good steer and I love the way they look.  I went to see two the other week and 4 grand doesn’t buy you a lot.

image.thumb.png.d076f0e0aafa0cf628cb17d4643b239b.png

Vauxhall Ampera.  I know what all Vauxhalls are, but this is quite intriguing and the fact it was an automotive dead end is appealing.

image.thumb.png.165a217f9531c9b0ca3c7b48a5452fa4.png

Audi A2, the acceptable face of Audi ownership.  I’m just not sure about the reliability but it appeals to my inner geek

image.thumb.png.7f1db445944cbe308a713651b7725594.png

Peugeot 206 1.4 HDi, these do something like 70mpg and probably drive quite well too.  Finding a good one could be tough and is it really special enough?  Obviously those wheel trims can get in the fucking sea

image.thumb.png.fd0089b2deb459f6b1b2ddbca5ca22e7.png

Peugeot 205 turbo diesel.  What an absolute hoot to drive and they look great too.  Fuel economy is meh but just look at it
image.png.998af3d5d3d2ee0bfd33faea9b3416fe.png

Renault Twingo, although not a posh one like this; I want an early one that’s dented and has lived a bit

image.thumb.png.cfb470d574da8ae7286e96b65fd411e3.png

What’s on your list?

what you want is a nice 2005 Corsa 5 door 1.3 Cdti....loads to a gallon, and has ZERO electrically operated gizmo's fitted, so less to go wrong...Plus chain so no cam belt roulette ;) MOT till June 2022 too...

IMG_20210820_165304.jpg

well if things align, i'll be getting one off my wishlist - smol diesel van for weekends/midweek seaside jaunts as a semi camper

other than that..

Aerial Atom just for the shitz n giggles

P38 2.5 diesel auto in Oxford blue with cream leather.....miss my 4x4's...

wouldn't mind trying a bini...

Ford Ranger crew can dizzel...in that wonderful blue/silver they did..

Merc W123 dizzel......more chance of snogging The Queen!!!

something V8 RWD and sporty... just to tick it off the list (owned V8 4x4's)

V6 freelander with straight through exhaust...and OLLI everywhere LOL

I fancy one of these for transporting the dog. 

1521528487167_GEC1H6PIH.3-1.thumb.jpg.7dc021661f69d375774c0d50266f947a.jpg

0733b5c865e66a390c8fcb627127db28.thumb.jpg.cc96239a5030a6514a0261ae21fffa9c.jpg

In Austin or Morris flavour though I prefer the Morris dashboard. But preferably a slightly shabby one. 

1961-AUSTIN-A60-CAMBRIDGE-Countryman-estate.jpg.2d5af4a1ef3e43e50f55bbb7ef8f0567.jpg

Not a wreck, just a bit careworn so I don't  need to worry about it either from other motorists or from the dog himself, he is a bit of a lump. 

Doesn't matter if it's slow because I have to drive slow with the dog in the back anyway. Even in the Felicia which is hardly a ball of fire I sometimes forget he's there and give it some welly only to hear the sound of dog falling over. Wouldn't need to worry about that in a Farina. 

43 minutes ago, MisterH said:

(even though it is my only working car at the moment as the Volvo isn't charging) 

Ah, living the true 480 life I see! The alternator of mine died while it was at the inspection station, it's a strange experience getting a call that your car has passed inspection but stopped working...

I have no commute and I'm unlikely to ever be in the office more than once once week, which involves 16 mile round trip , so economy is not a requirement.

I'm pretty happy with what I have at present but if the following came up I'd shuffle my feet

Lexus LS400

Audi A8 MK1 or 2

VW Phaeton

Sensibly and indeed conversely, I'd like a Rover 45 with the L series diesel.

47 minutes ago, D.E said:

Ah, living the true 480 life I see! The alternator of mine died while it was at the inspection station, it's a strange experience getting a call that your car has passed inspection but stopped working...

haha it does work if you drive around with jump leads in the back and a spare battery

Are (were) you on Volvo 480 Club Europe by any chance?

As many have said, list changes daily!

Lexus LS - big, wafty, reliable 

Camry V6 - see above 

Nissan Elgrand /Toyota Alphard - look awesome and spacious V6 waftiness 

Saab 9-5 Aero wagon - I had a saloon years back and a client keeps threatening to sell his wagon   

Honda Legend - cool, rare and it probably all works. 

Subaru Forester turbo - fast and  square = cool.  Tried unsuccessfully  to get Management in one a few years back. 

16 hours ago, garethj said:

A2s are absolutely brilliant ! They're basically 50% concept car, 50% Polo 9N. The Polo bits make them easy and cheap to maintain, but also mean that reliability is mediocre at best. An early, basic 1.2TDi would be the most sensible choice, combining the A2s quirkiness with frugality and simplicity. At the opposite end of the spectrum lies the fragile, over-complicated 1.6FSi, which is only suitable for masochists. Care to guess which model I own ?

3 hours ago, MisterH said:

...B2 Audi 80/90 (either sport or quattro, preferably 5 cyl)

audi_80_1982_photos_2.thumb.jpg.9e0c34bbea065f7b89fed1b45651ccf5.jpg

Again the acceptable face of Audi ownership, problem is all the VAG cultists are driving prices up before I can get in, but I remain positively determined that this is what I want in my barn (also on the list). Due to my tastes being shaped by my grandfather's Audi WR quattro (still have it though it is currently having a Jetronic moment🤪) the want is high....

I ran a B2 90CD for about six years from 1991. Not bad as a 1994cc 5cyl; less complicated. Good gear change I remember. Electric windows and keep-fit sunroof. Good instrument panel; three switches each side at fingertip level - never bettered since.

Terrible rot at base of windscreen/A-pillar. Bumper mouldings fragile and easy to dislodge. Brightwork discolours overtime; mine was going hazy by the time I owned it. 

Quattro was 2226cc; bigger service bills.

Smoll boot in a B2, though, with full-size spare, and the B3's was even smaller! Didn't like the B3. B4 was better-proportioned.

I was pondering this thread yesterday. I had an electric Lexus UX300e for the day as a courtesy car, no complaints at all about the driving experience although as an overall package it certainly wouldn't be a replacement for the RX but it got me thinking. Forthcoming NX450h PHEV could be a good compromise when used examples have dropped to my budget.

Now the fleet has been thinned somewhat due to the house move, I can concentrate on those I still have. RX will be purchased at the end of the PCP in six months' time - I can buy it for £10k, low mileage examples like mine are currently at £22-24k with the main dealers, if not more, so I'd be stupid not to. It's a fine thing to drive, comfortable, very capable at carting heavy loads of 'stuff' and the driver interface isn't overly complicated despite the clever tech under the bonnet - I can see similarities with Toyotas of old that I've had. I'm planning to run it until I retire and for as long as possible thereafter, with that possible, eventual change to NX450h in mind.

Laurel has to stay. The only Datsun I'd rather have would be the previous-gen 200L, with very '70s Coke bottle styling.

The LS400 is a wonderful thing to waft around in, but it's difficult to know whether it has a long-term future. It will eventually need a lot of money putting into it, and I think there are probably better candidates out there for that treatment. Perhaps this is where I go back to my "random 3rd car" thing? I fear (well, I know) the days of picking up tidy '80s Accords, 323s and RWD Starlets for £150-300 are long-gone, but if I look for useable things that can be insured as a classic, will tolerate living outdoors for a bit and can be sold-on without incurring too much loss then I could sample a bit of variety instead of getting too attached to anything.

Realistically that's all I have room for, but if I could somehow work a Manta A or big, late '60s/early '70s American land yacht into the collection then that'd be good.

Mrs SL's Auris will doubtless be with us for many years, but maybe that'll be the one that gets replaced by something electric for the local running around? Like DC, I rather like the look of those little Hondas, with less/no family carting duties it'd be fine for what we want.

I think I’ll be sticking to dizzler BMW’s for the foreseeable in terms of a daily. I absolutely adore my e92 335D but I don’t like how impractical it is, I’d much prefer an estate.

I’d imagine an F31 335D if I can afford one.

In terms of toys, I’m now on the way to collect a 4x4 for winter fun but after that I’m not sure really. I’d like an E39 for some reason.  

i do keep on thinking on what to get if/when the Rover turns up its toes.

sensible says something like a Fiat 500, 1200 pez, cos cute, nice to drive and easy on the pez and tax.

not sensible says, if i could find one a P38 diesel.

or a Jaguar X350 3-litre pez XJ6, 

or a Volvo estate of unspecified model only without moon miles.

or a 1990's shape Toyota Camry, but that would have to be a v6, cos i think i'd feel short changed in a 2.2,

or another Jaguar, this time a Jaguar XJ6 series 3. which is a very silly choice to be honest though i think they are timelessly beautiful cars.

so that means, that when the Rover goes to the great car park in the sky i'll end up owning something achinly DULL like the Toyota Avensis, which is crushingly dull to drive, but as a car is just fantastic at been "transport" or just as a "car".

2 hours ago, D.E said:

Just the Dutch Volvo 480 forum, atm. I may register when mine is (officially) back on the road again.

You might know brinkie then, I love how the 480 is a dutch icon, am I right in thinking they have a larger following there? Or at least better known about?

11 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

I ran a B2 90CD for about six years from 1991. Not bad as a 1994cc 5cyl; less complicated. Good gear change I remember. Electric windows and keep-fit sunroof. Good instrument panel; three switches each side at fingertip level - never bettered since.

Terrible rot at base of windscreen/A-pillar. Bumper mouldings fragile and easy to dislodge. Brightwork discolours overtime; mine was going hazy by the time I owned it. 

Quattro was 2226cc; bigger service bills.

Smoll boot in a B2, though, with full-size spare, and the B3's was even smaller! Didn't like the B3. B4 was better-proportioned.

That's really interesting, our WR quattro had the old A pillar rust issue as well. It makes a lot of sense to go for the FWD 5 pot, however there is something about the 4WD (probably the fact it blew away my 2 year old mind when I first met the car) that draws me. And besides, if it made sense, it wouldn't nearly be as much fun

Hmm interesting question

Probably only two cars are still on my primary wish list either TVR Tuscan (6 pot one) or TVR Chimera (8 pot) both have been there for a while

On my secondary wish list I'd like something with American/Australian V8 muscle or BMW 1M or M2 and a Honda Insight just for the ying yang thing

However what I'd really like to do is finish the bloody projects I already have :D

I've spent a long time looking for very small engined, automatic cars with air conditioning, since a lot of my driving is quite local it might make sense. Kei appeals, but fuck me, they're expensive for what they are (and the majority I'd have to do my first journey in them on the Motorway flat out at about 7,000rpm for hours, which might put me off, no matter how good they turned out to be around the houses).  I looked at Daihatsu  - Charade & Sirion, but they're all either totally rotten or they were repaired a decade ago and are probably even worse now. I had a look at AtoZ, WagonR & similar, and they're OK...

But I've not driven anything less than 1600cc in the last twenty years, they might make my head explode & cause me to sell them on rapidly at a huge loss.

FIAT 500 - twin air also appeals a bit - if it wasn't for the total lack of reliable!

2 hours ago, MisterH said:

That's really interesting, our WR quattro had the old A pillar rust issue as well. It makes a lot of sense to go for the FWD 5 pot, however there is something about the 4WD (probably the fact it blew away my 2 year old mind when I first met the car) that draws me. ....

Basic 1994cc is plenty quick enough and makes all the right 5-cyl sounds without breaking the bank. 30+mpg achievable. 

2226cc quattro saloon was already thin on the ground when I was running my B2.

2 hours ago, MisterH said:

You might know brinkie then, I love how the 480 is a dutch icon, am I right in thinking they have a larger following there? Or at least better known about?

I think everybody who's a 480 enthusiast knows brinkie😁 Yeah they have a significant following , especially in the province where they were built. Still, even here some parts are getting difficult to find.

22 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Basic 1994cc is plenty quick enough and makes all the right 5-cyl sounds without breaking the bank. 30+mpg achievable. 

2226cc quattro saloon was already thin on the ground when I was running my B2.

From what I hear a lot of them went to the old East after the fall of the wall hence a lot of parts can be found in the old Warsaw pact nations. Biggest issue is pricing, while they aren't crazy, they are getting concerningly expensive, there was a 140k mile car up for 7.5k the other month, although whether he got that is another question