Your most expensive car?

Bren

As I drive company cars, I have no need to spend proper money on cars. I get a ridiculously priced car every 3 years (and give the Government lots of money in BIK)

However, previously, when opted out, I bought a Rover 75 2.5V6 for £15k which was an absolute bargain. Top spec (with a load of extras including CD changer) and 270 miles on the clock.

It was pre-registered and sat in a showroom for 6 months before being given to a rental agency who never actually rented it out. The 270 miles were put on by the manager apparently. Bought it from a car supermarket, put 105k on the clock in 4 years and sold it to my father-in-law for a couple of grand.

Took a big hit on it, but 25k a year driving does do that to cars. Along with Rovers demise and the cost of fuel starting to rocket (the V6 Auto is pretty thirsty). My company car allowance after tax at the time was around £200 per month for everything and I worked out the cost of running the actual car was £400, so it made sense to opt back in and get a dirty diesel even with the money I was giving the Government, I was saving around £150 a month.

Now I know what I know about cars and do fuck all mileage, I'm toying with opting out again. Our allowance is now a little higher (around £300 after tax) but crucially, if I buy a shitter estate for the dog and keep the MR2, if something goes wrong with either, I still have a car (my Missus has one too) and I can fix most issues myself. Benefit in Kind is crippling if you don't go electric now for company cars. I'm not jesting when I say that a 40% tax payer has to give the government £300 a month out of their salary for your regular Vauxhall RepMobile (obviously, half that for 20% tax payers).

In monetary terms: VX220 which I think was about £24K new in 2002. It is currently sitting, fully depreciated, in a barn under a thick coating of dust.

In terms of hair loss: Rover 75 Dismal Tourer. FTP'd twice miles from home in fairly spectacular fashion that required some lengthy repairs while all the time being utterly hateful to live with because it ran on diesel. 

In fuel: 4.6 P38 although everything else on it was dirt cheap so it didn't hurt that much. According to the little pewter my five mile drive to the office in the morning while it was stone cold averaged 6mpg. 

In terms of loss of credibility: Rover 75 Dismal Tourer. However, driving a BMW for four years gave any cred I had a sound kicking.

11k on a face-lifted P11 Nissan Primera 2.0 diesel that was only a year old with 16k miles on it to use as a taxi as the companies boss I was going to work for turned their nose up at my Sierra Azure estate and sherpa minibus? Both to old apparently for the company image.
She got worked hard and i think i sold it for about £4500 two years later with about 160k miles on the clock.
She looked plain and boring but did the job.

A shade over £8k for my Skoda Fabia, bought as a commuter car last March. Literally the day after I picked it up we went on furlough followed by permanently working from home 4 days out of 5.  So, money well spent. 😄 It was just under 3 years old, 19k miles, and less than half its new list price.

It's been a really good car to be fair, and the fact I'm not putting many miles on it means it'll hopefully last ages. Planning to keep it until running an ICE vehicle is no longer practical. In that respect, despite it being the most expensive vehicle I've owned, I'm hoping it'll ultimately work out to be one of the cheapest per year over the course of my ownership.

90340057_10158242055259642_3923542492791701504_o.thumb.jpg.19d2bb251999d4c482a0c86f04095c8a.jpg

2 hours ago, Soundwave said:

A shade over £8k for my Skoda Fabia, bought as a commuter car last March. Literally the day after I picked it up we went on furlough followed by permanently working from home 4 days out of 5.  So, money well spent. 😄 It was just under 3 years old, 19k miles, and less than half its new list price.

It's been a really good car to be fair, and the fact I'm not putting many miles on it means it'll hopefully last ages. Planning to keep it until running an ICE vehicle is no longer practical. In that respect, despite it being the most expensive vehicle I've owned, I'm hoping it'll ultimately work out to be one of the cheapest per year over the course of my ownership.

90340057_10158242055259642_3923542492791701504_o.thumb.jpg.19d2bb251999d4c482a0c86f04095c8a.jpg

It's value has probably gone up too.

15k on a brand new Mégane in 2008. Still have it now on 188k, and regularly gets over 60mpgs. Only ever needed service items - tyres, brakes, cambelt etc. Even recovered from my hydrolocking it in a flood.
When I knew my wife and myself were separating, we had a last holiday in the villa in Florida before we sold it. I secretly booked another 2 weeks off work, so after she flew home, I used the $30k in the USA bank account and bought an immaculate Z4. I then spent the next two weeks travelling up the east coast of USA before flying back from New York. I put the car up on New York Craig's list the day I bought it, and it sold within a day. New Yorkers love a southern car, and I made $5k on the deal.

Sent from my EML-L29 using Tapatalk

25k on our current MG HS 😳 I’ve got to admit though it’s a bloody good car, I know some people have problems with them but I’m 5k in in less than 4 months and apart from the average crap MPG’s it’s pretty hard to beat for the money. 

But this is on the knock so I’ve not technically paid for it, most actual cash money I’ve spent on a car was 6.5 or 7k on my CRV, I think it was 6500 but I’ve had it 10 years this December so I forget.. 

My most expensive car for me was a year old smart roadster Jack black which I got for less than half price at £6100 with about 3000 on the clock which was a steal as no one else put a bid in for it on eBay and it came from a dealership and didn’t expect them to honour the deal if I was honest.

The weird thing was my one was completely reliable and bone dry but I got my local dealership to do all the upgrades free of charge under warranty which must of cost Mercedes a small fortune.

I kept it for a couple of years and when my job was looking dodgy I decided to sell it and go back to a life of chod but I didn’t lose anything on it really as I sold it within a day for £5900 but I think at the time it must of been the best on the market as it still only had about 9000 on the clock and it only came out the garage on nice days and most were about 2 grand more plus mine came with a few expensive extras.

I do like a black two seater sports car and wouldn’t ever spend that kind of money again on a car but I did the next best and bought an £1100 mint low mileage Z3 but  won’t part with that one.

I will say I remember the first time I ever saw a smart roadster parked on the side of the road  on a trip to Tunbridge Wells and spent about 10 minutes looking at it and saying to myself I’ve got to have one and was going to try and get the money together for a Mini Cooper but those were way out my price range for a nice example at 6 grand but now I’ve also managed to pick one of those up in the spec I wanted at the time for £350 so good things come to those who wait but it seems to take 20 years lol.

9D319027-D9CC-4847-B4DE-6164D03CE969.jpeg

4747036D-4022-4CC5-9FDA-186D8CBF2C27.jpeg

I went all non-autoshite and spunked £15.5k on this 2015 Audi A6 Allroad back in January of this year. 

6DF83A61-910B-4E6E-B6A0-7A717D8ED49B.thumb.jpeg.3da17eb891c3198a2f5d1b68e5f584ee.jpeg

it’s a great car. It replaced my 2005 Discovery 3 that I bought in 2017 for £7300, which for me, was a lot of money to blow on a fairly old motor. It did me well though. Let’s hope the Aldi lasts as long as it. 

My mustang for a tad over £13k. An honourable mention goes for a 2003 Astra Bertone coupe for 12k my then girlfriend bought by borrowing on the mortguage of which I paid half -but didn't tell me or let me drive it till it was 3 years old (and I didn't find put I'd unknowingly paid for half of it till the mortgage was paid off some 6 years after the Astra was sold)