Pain, Safrane and misery : Special treatment

Andyrew

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, barrett said:

Yo, any updates on this one? I was enjoying watching this all come together and was really looking forward to a big MoT pass reveal!!

Pushed to one side currently while i fondle this battered ugly little shit! 

20211217_214721.thumb.jpg.e2fd07c7e18c455e9b5bf628bcfcca47.jpg

Will begin fighting the fat french fancy over the crimbo/new years period. 

Its still leaking p.s and i cant see where from, i have a tyre valve and a spare resevoir cap that im going to fit it too so i can bung 150psi up its chuff from the compressor

1 hour ago, Andyrew said:

i have a tyre valve and a spare resevoir cap that im going to fit it too so i can bung 150psi up its chuff from the compressor

I did this recently on my R50 mini. It was very effective at highlighting a tiny weakness in the system. However I didn’t give any thought to releasing the pressure. Just pulling the cap off resulted in a spectacular fountain reaching 15 ft in the air, soaking me and everything else in the surrounding area…….

10 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

I did this recently on my R50 mini. It was very effective at highlighting a tiny weakness in the system. However I didn’t give any thought to releasing the pressure. Just pulling the cap off resulted in a spectacular fountain reaching 15 ft in the air, soaking me and everything else in the surrounding area…….

That was something i had thought of, the volume that you describe tho makes me think this should be done outside!

37 minutes ago, Jenson Velcro said:

Is your profile picture of the aftermath?

spacer.png

• 1 month later...
2 hours ago, Schaefft said:

Great to see this back, really enjoy every update for it.

Hopefully you'll enjoy quite a few to come this month as id like to kick it out the door for march. Brakes should be done this week possibly tomorrow evening, also at the weekend the auto box is getting the filter and sump dropped. Cleaned and fresh fluid. 

Steering still continues to leak. 

Then a mates going to help me strip the front end off to get to the fans so they can be swapped out. 

18 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

Service looks long overdue!

The filter is dated 1997 so its been changed at some point. Fluid isnt too bad but could be 20+ years old so maybe a bit thin now. 

Filters been flushed out with brake clean. The pan will be cleaned and all will go back ln with fresh Atf. Will repeat again shorly after a few runs. 

Not sure this is the cause of the problem but its the most basic place to start.

Today see the safrane up on the table again, wheels off and the O.s rear disc changed. The other retaining screws had been snapped many moons ago it seems so i ground them flush and drilled them out, followed buy a quick run through with the tap. I didnt swap this caliper over as it seems fine. I just fitted the used pads that came with the bundle of brake bits @Schaefft sent over. Hand brake cable was adjusted too. 

Upfront the damaged caliper on the offside was changed for the good used one. I also swapped the new old stock recon unit for the other good used one.  Figured the new unit can be kept as a spare with the car. I pulled the new pads off and fitted the hardly used ones that were in the replacement calipers (genuine renault fancy!)  Figured the other pads can be kept for if the car gets new discs in the future. 

Gravity bleed and a test drive up the yard shows all is well.  

Next thing is to get that leaking tank thing out. Hopefully i dont have to drop out the driveshaft.