Pain, Safrane and misery : Special treatment

Andyrew

I cant help myself really. The car got a very quick wash down yesterday ( a bit waterspotted now but meh! ) but the wheels are just so far gone. Seems they would have had a machined lip when new. I this isnt a pressing issue so With me setting a limit of about an hour a wheel and whilst drying between coats i cleaned up the brakes i gave them a quick refresh.

They do seem a bit "car dealer silver" but its fairly close to the original paint. 

20210926_145435.thumb.jpg.13a77cb097271640dbefcf787820e2e7.jpg

With the front wheel off, the brake caliper on this side was siezed up. Some in and outs and a bit of lube has got it good enough to allow the wheel to roll and the brakes function . A full strip down or replacement will be needed.

20210926_163614.thumb.jpg.b3e2331e8ce818f53cebc500533b0034.jpg

The Faded trim recieved some goop and the front wheel got a splash of silver. Both wheels are 8 footers but so is the rest of the car!

20210926_163919.thumb.jpg.e49eaa0ba1da06669c9c20581a4b245d.jpg

Other side to do next!

I just checked my August 2019 photos and yes there was some WHEEL untidiness but overall wasn't fussed about that as the:

1) MoT emissions were good, 2) tyres were good, 3) engine ran well (as the video on other page showed), 4) it stopped well enough and in a straight line, 5) sunroof and windows and mirrors and bum warmers and 'leccy seats all worked, 6) the man in the dashboard could be silenced after a  button push

• Andyrew changed the title to Pain, Safrane and misery : It begins

The photos a bit blurry but the contacts are all worn away aswell. 

The steering appear to be leaking from two places. The tray under the rad is full of PSF.

The main point of concern is a pipe that seems to expand and go across the bottom of the rad area to something under the n.s headlight. Its very heavily corroded near a flexi part.  But i cant see a returning line? 

I couldnt see any deets for rhd set up in the books but did see it mentioned about power steering  that adjusts its assistance with speed and other factors. So im wondering it its going to some control unit. 

Untill i get the car up on the lift and the undertay off im at a bit of a hault. 

Hopefully i can repair the pipe or if it goes off to some uneeded tat module then maybe i could blank it off?

Looked at the rot on the sill, should be an easy repair. But for the most part its very solid .

Just some heavy flakey rust from being stood for a good while. Maybe on some grass or soil.

2 hours ago, Andyrew said:

The photos a bit blurry but the contacts are all worn away aswell. 

The steering appear to be leaking from two places. The tray under the rad is full of PSF.

And so is the bed of the trailer now. I’d check on the amount of ATF in it too judging by the marking of its territory 

Safrane.  don’t do it.

So the leak appears to be on the low pressure side . The main leak i can see at the moment is at the little 90 bent near the yellow square. This is handy as i was dreading it being the high pressure side!

20210927_092747.thumb.jpg.e640e140d788609911ce1f85d7adc8e6.jpg

Handily the details all work on our partlink24 system at work so i can get diagrams etc etc for the car. 

It was quiet at work so using our parts catalogue syatem im managed to do some part number cross referencing and some ebay searching has halved the expected Disc and pads cost from using our suppliers By finding it from various places on ebay old stock/clearance or crap listings via part numbers.

I also found another dizzy cap and rotor arm in facet brand on ebay as i had the part numbers to search for them.  So that go those down from nearly 60 quid! to £27.45. So it lucky it has no fuel or id have fitted the more expensive ones already. 

Screenshot_20210927-181031.thumb.jpg.2466e26ca1e4802b7068d322483056ae.jpg

6 minutes ago, barrett said:

Great work, and very good news that this is saved BUT every time this topic pops up to the top it makes me genuinely anxious because the title forces me to pronounce 'Safrane' to rhyme with 'pain' in my head. It's the little things, eh?

The title was inspired by this, That may help! Or not, music taste dependent (yes its a cover) 

O.S caliper feels like it will free up and might be bought back to life with a strip down.  The N.S however is locked solid. I was going to rebuild both with new pistons but the n.s refuses to come out and when i found this whilst hunting for cheap parts i sent an offer to the seller and they met me halfway. 

Screenshot_20210930-232932.thumb.jpg.74f7e74f2d2ffd2091cfe577103a55cb.jpg

Glad to see this is now moving under its own power again - funnily enough, when my Mk1 Laguna failed to start after being laid up for a couple of months, it turned out to be down to the central contact in the distributor cap crumbling to dust. New cap and rotor arm saw it right. Hopefully you're on a winning streak now!

Nice save! 

I went with the cats and kittens to pick this up from  whatever show we were at, then followed @catsinthewelder back to his in his car.

Went very nicely, I struggled to keep up in places (but I'll part blame that to not knowing the road and not wanting to crash cat's 405). Can't see it not being fine after some standard Andyrew basic recommisioning

Pulling over so the rear doors could be strapped shut from inside was amusing though, after one of the kittens had to hold it for some way.