Pain, Safrane and misery : Special treatment

Andyrew

Thanks to @worldofceri and i believe @Inspector Morose a certain large Chunk of french purest green will be arriving at the AAA workshop today. 

Ill be at work so delivery will be taken in by my friend and his son who are using my car and workshop today for the for the purpose of some father and son teaching of basic spannering jobs on cars. So im getting my car improved for me aswell! Bonus. 

Some may already know that ive shared the misery of this purchase with another shiter. 

They may wish to remain anonymous, im not sure so ill use an alias. So we shall just refer to them as Mr6 , they have a good lady whos on here aswell too so just incase we will call her Mrs6. 

20210925_165933.thumb.jpg.4fe8cdcdc33cfcb350af024c7a36dcf1.jpg

The battery had been removed but handily id chucked one in the car before leaving work. With that lobbed on she cranks but no fire. The guage is bang on empty so a sniff of brake cleaner and she breaths life for a second or two. 

So ill just simply nip and get some petrol. . . Doh! 

Ahh well it can stay were it be for a few days.

Would any previous owners mind chucking up some of their knowledge and experience with the car, 

What you did , what was wrong and hidden secrets /  problems or temp bodgeys that may appear at some point etc etc ? What flashbacks keep you awake at night still and so on.

I spoke with @flat4alfa outside work yesterday about it and he informed me of his custodianship experience.

8 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Some may already know that ive shared the misery of this purchase with another shiter. 

They may wish to remain anonymous, im not sure so ill use an alias. So we shall just refer to them as Mr6 , they have a good lady whos on here aswell too so just incase we will call her Mrs6. 

wracking my brain trying to figure out who they are 🤔🤣🤣🤣

Its definately french, where he came from ive no idea! 

20210925_194146.thumb.jpg.cc9332df406df93fb7c0b2f9fc4beafa.jpg

I thought ill have to get a pic of that and as i steady myself i just lean on the side of the bumper and then a few seconds later i heard a crack noise. 

What the bloody hell! 

20210925_194507.thumb.jpg.8ce3e9ac2eea3695bec91b90527b1106.jpg

Looks like a big chip was in the i assume unobtainium outer lense and i finished it off.  Curses!

2 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Would any previous owners mind chucking up some of their knowledge and experience with the car, 

What you did , what was wrong and hidden secrets /  problems or temp bodgeys that may appear at some point etc etc ? What flashbacks keep you awake at night still and so on.

I spoke with @flat4alfa outside work yesterday about it and he informed me of his custodianship experience.

I only drove it from MK to Stafford when Cats won it but my findings..

Drops into gearbox limp mode which keeps it in 3rd

Difficult to start when hot, very sluggish to turn over but gets there eventually

PAS leak

Wiper motor was in boot, problem was worn out linkage which I fixed with strategic cable ties.

- some of these may have been fixed in the intervening couple of years but worth a check.

Alternator received a new regulator so it should be nice and healthy. It also received a new washer fluid pump for the front (rear one was good). I did an oil change (if that hasnt happened lately, I did  it 3 years ago now). I replaced one or two bonnet catches iirc, one on the car had a plastic piece the release cable would hook onto missing. I also replaced the front indicators, apparently the outer lenses have a tendency to just fall off, the air intake plastic duct was replaced as well as for some reason it had a hole in it. I can probably get you a new foglight lens relatively cheaply from Germany, it'll just take ages if you dont wanna pay the shipping. The gearbox does act a bit odd under particular circumstances although it shifts perfectly fine. I'm not sure of there was a dipstick for it but checking the fluid level wouldnt hurt. I think the quick release on the coolant hoses to the heater matrix (passenger side engine bay) was dodgy, we replaced the seals but there might be some ziptie action, I honestly can't remember.

The car should come with the electric fans and service manual. Those will hopefully be of big help getting it all sorted.

26 minutes ago, Schaefft said:

The car should come with the electric fans and service manual. Those will hopefully be of big help getting it all sorted.

Manuals in the car should be very handy.

Spares stash in the boot, ive just checked the shopping basket under the bonnet and its a premium brand sainsburys one so ill keep the tesco one as a spare for now. 

20210925_165608.thumb.jpg.bbda486027bda71651566d5c800e6238.jpg

4 hours ago, Andyrew said:

I thought ill have to get a pic of that and as i steady myself i just lean on the side of the bumper and then a few seconds later i heard a crack noise. 

What the bloody hell! 

Looks like a big chip was in the i assume unobtainium outer lense and i finished it off.  Curses!

Excellent work, glad to see this has been saved!

As for your light issue above... single lenses are indeed seemingly unobtainium, but here's a pair of brand new complete foglamp units. In French spec yellow too, for added points.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/124887905746?hash=item1d13e635d2:g:OIUAAOSwmz5hNmkX

3 hours ago, Andyrew said:

Theres a story here, i just dont kno what it is!

20210925_165953.thumb.jpg.e59554dcd1580b6291a7519772042117.jpg

That’s as I received it from @catsinthewelder. I believe he and @Inspector Morose were trying various things to get it running so it could be put on the trailer.

Smoke under bonnet is believed to be the PAS fluid burning off of the manifolds. It’s had new battery terminals fitted as the old ones had been mullered to fuck.

The gearbox dropping into limp mode will almost certainly be as a result of the trans fluid probably never being changed. My 2.5dt safrane did this and when @rwd drained the box the fluid was burnt and rancid. 

A new filter was sourced from JPat.co.uk and it drove perfectly from then on.

@Cookiesouwest came to have a look at it a few weeks ago and can confirm that whilst it is a runner, there is definitely as missfire.

I was going to chuck a battery on this morning but by the time that I’d got to the car at half8 Andy had already chucked one on there. Not that it did much good.

Felt a bit bad as that’s twice he’s had to heavy-ho the thing about.

This seems to suggest the fogliht is shared with Clio’s and Meganes.  If that’s the case it will open up the search field considerably.  Convenient Valeo part number too

https://www.oldtimer-shop.eu/parts/renault-clio-96-safrane-megane-front-right-fog-light-valeo

757FBD76-2698-4A1F-9AEA-176259DEE8B6.png

I mostly just drove it till the MOT ran out, I did have plans to get the garage to fix it ready for sale (as it was just too complicated and scary for me) but lockdown put that on pause then Steve offered to buy it as it stood.

The lower dash is off as when Steve was ready to take it the bonnet release wouldn't work.  I had to attack it with pliers to give it a really hard pull to release which did a bit of damage.  No time to get parts so left the cover off.  I did put a lot of oil and grease on the catches so try and prevent a repeat.

5 hours ago, Andyrew said:

What the bloody hell! 

Give this guy a message on faceache.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/1430879277277869/

I spoke with him a few months ago quite a bit and he has loads of spares for safrane as he has a a mk1 safrane 3.0 RXE. I believe he still has both front fog lights.

On 9/25/2021 at 5:56 PM, Andyrew said:

Would any previous owners mind chucking up some of their knowledge and experience with the car

I just drove it.  It was reliable yet hilarious* at the same time

Popped it on classic policy for additional ~£25, kept it a few months and then roffled it off again

With the lovely sun out and still no petrol to hand (im not waiting and causing traffic jams over 5ltrs of fuel.) I opted to have a nosey at the brakes. The suns shining bright so why not eh?

Skanky wheel off

20210926_120803.thumb.jpg.e64aebc2fcf8405f0e52aab4e0447157.jpg

Skanky brakes

20210926_131344.thumb.jpg.f6bb7a6eea825c2037de9b3479346532.jpg

This caliper seems okay i can operater the handbrake ratchet with me hand. The pads and discs are shot. I cleaned them up so that they can function and chucked them on. No money will be spent on brake parts untill the misfire and PAS leak is fixed. 

Cleaned up a bit and a splash of lube sprayed on

20210926_144920.thumb.jpg.62c0507d433e0cd89f06599a64cbeae8.jpg

That wheel tho . . .