Triple V - Vauxhall Vectra V6

w00dy

On 10/1/2021 at 10:54 PM, Noel Tidybeard said:

you will have to find the "police chip" which doesn't* exist and definately doesn't* boost them to 200ish bhp

Interesting. Any more details? Can't see much mention of it online.

19 hours ago, Longbridge Apologist said:

What do they handle and steer like? I do like the look of this era and Vauxhall engines but never pedalled a Griffin that I’ve liked the steering or gear change on!

The gear change is definitely a bit crap, but the handling is surprisingly decent. No real feel, but it turns in well and the suspension seems nicely sprung/damped.

Gave it a much needed service today. Didn't get the fuel filter changed before rain stopped play, but glad I got the rest done.  

qr5dQc9.jpeg

C2SmdDa.jpeg

lNCI8IU.jpeg

I agree that the Vectra is very solid to drive and great in long journeys. I found that the seats hurt the backs of my legs and arse on very long journeys though as with all late 80s early 00s Vauxhalls.

The Cavalier is much more comfortable on long journeys and wafts over bumps though. I felt very fresh even after a quite ardous drive down from Scotland through Weardale in mine.

On 10/3/2021 at 4:04 AM, w00dy said:
On 10/1/2021 at 10:54 AM, Noel Tidybeard said:

you will have to find the "police chip" which doesn't* exist and definately doesn't* boost them to 200ish bhp

Interesting. Any more details? Can't see much mention of it online

there was a VVOC forum for vectra..

Had many Omegas with the V6 engine, and still have a 3.2 version. Its a great engine that will go to the moon and back if looked after.

Oil and filter changes a maximum of 5000 miles or every year whichever comes first.

2.6 variants around 2001 had inferior valve stem seals fitted which often causes annoying blue smoke from the exhaust. Regular cleaning of the breather system is essential on Omegas, but I think the Vectra had a different setup so maybe not essential on them ?

Coolant change every two years will help prevent the oil cooler from rotting and dumping the oil into the coolant.

Done plenty of belt changes on rwd versions which have lots of space at the front, but I imagine it would require plenty of Elastoplast on standby on the fwd versions.

On 10/2/2021 at 8:04 PM, Longbridge Apologist said:

What do they handle and steer like? I do like the look of this era and Vauxhall engines but never pedalled a Griffin that I’ve liked the steering or gear change on!

In my SRi the ride quality was good while the handling was just about OK. There’s not a lot of feel through the steering so it didn’t inspire a great deal of confidence. The 406 V6 that followed it is in a different league for handling.

I borrowed a Vectra GSi when I was choosing a replacement for the SRi and it was appalling. The ride was so jolty that it gave me lower back pain and I had to stop driving it. No other car has ever done that.