NEC Classic Motorshow advice

jmsguzzi

Hi all,

Apologies if this is covered in another thread but I’m thinking of going to the NEC Classic Motorshow for the first time in November. Just wondering if anyone on here has any tips for accommodation/parking, I know the NEC can be a bit of a nightmare. Was thinking of travelling down on the Thursday and going on the Friday which I assume is the quietest day? 

Any tips would be appreciated, cheers!

Friday is quietest. Usually queues to get in as it opens on Sat, and it gets rammed by lunchtime. So busy its hard to impossible to move around and see cars in some halls. Forget trying to take photos without people between you and the cars! 
2nd half of afternoon quietens down a lot so you'll see more in the last hour that the rest of the day if your feet can stand to stay until the end.  Sunday also busy.

It is brilliant though, every year there are some truely amazing obscure or unusual cars that make it all worth it, and there is a lot to see. 

My parking tips are to either park in the nec car park and wait until the barrier people go home then drive out, or last year I parked in the station/airport car park which was cheaper than nec but quite a walk (20mins?) along walkways and corridors through to the classic show halls. 
premier Inns Holiday Inn type hotels around, try places 30 mins away like Tamworth? for cheaper rooms, ones near NEC get booked up/evpensive
Finally, I believe people say the Porsche 924 Owners Club always have the best stand with the most interesting cars and the friendliest people. 

Agree Friday is quietest.   Hotels in centre of town are usually bit cheaper and train in is dead easy but doesn’t help if you are driving.  As @inconsistantsays NEC hotels book up but some include Parking or pay there which has worked for me.  Another year I tried to pay by card at the barrier and they couldn’t be arsed so let me through - not sure that would work every time!  I’m 50:50 on whether i can go but its a great day out

Friday for me. 10am entry. 

Quick visit for me. Flying down in the morning and back up in the late afternoon (was supposed to be 21.35 but they changed the flight to 17.25) from Glasgow. 

I've stayed down a few times in the past but this is easier and saves me money by preventing me buying all sorts of crap I don't need from the jumble😆

I'm probably no help, because I'll be there from Thursday -> Sunday, but I'm staying at the Ibis at Birmingham Airport, over the road.

I believe it's still available. I only booked it a couple of weeks back once we'd had our stand confirmed.

Anyone who is coming, please visit our stand - it's the MR2DC stand. I'm the fat bloke with the blue Mk3 and the brown engine.

Check rail routes and book a hotel near a station. As others have said, it's a fair walk from the station, but it's all indoors and you'll be walking miles anyway. It's a BIG show. One day very often not enough to see it all. I can't say I'm feeling that comfortable about being there this year, but maybe I'm just being overly paranoid.

Been a few times pre pandemic. Enjoyable but a hell a lot of walking. Pretty much can get around it in one day but barely any time to go back to anything later. Did get a bit samey when I last went but it's been nearly two years since I last went so will be a bit more fresh when I go next.

I've been on Fridays and Sundays. I actually prefer Sundays ... mostly because there are less old (retired) people getting in the way on the Sunday. 😂

I found Sunday not too similar crowd size to Fridays either, just they move around a bit quicker. If I buy tools it is at the end of the day as it saves me carrying them around. Usually get more freebies on a Sunday as they're packing up.

Won't be going this year as a bit risky still imo. It's all quite packed together and a large number of people.

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, jmsguzzi said:

I’m going Friday, driving down from Sunderland on Thursday and staying in an air b&b. I just stumped up for parking at the NEC in the end.

We are driving down from chester le street early saturday morning and i to have just paid £12 for parking.