New project - farmer spec Land Rover Defender 90

Blake's Den

26 minutes ago, Landy Mann said:

What type of carport/tent are you using? How have you found it stands up to the elements? I'm considering one to bridge the 5m gap between the leaky garage and leaky carport.

It's a random one that I got off FB marketplace. The closest I can think is this: https://www.therange.co.uk/outdoor-living/gazebos-parasols-and-awnings/gazebos/luxury-gazebos/3-x-6m-heavy-duty-carport-garage-shelter/#9293736

I'm very happy with it. It has been up a year and hasn't blown away yet. I've got it bolted to concrete on one side and on the other I've got a couple of steel wire guy ropes tied to heavy things.

The defender just goes under it height wise but I do have it offers so I'm not driving under the highest point. I reckon that the frame would snap first before it blows away.

• 5 months later...

Another year's MoT has been achieved on the Defender.

I put it in for the test expecting the inevitable fail which is what happened! I was expecting it to fail on a rusty rear cross member but it actually failed on excessive play on the front axle. When I spoke to the tester they explained that a bush had failed on the panhard rod.

My local land rover parts place advised to replace the the entire rod as it can be difficult to get the bushes out. They also advised new fasteners which turned out to be very good advice. Once the bolts were undone it was an easy swap. The steering now feels a bit sharper but it is no mini!