Classic cars that are depreciating

Rustycarlover

18 hours ago, anonymous user said:

The reference to antiques is interesting. The world has moved on a lot in the last forty years. Fashion has changed and a lot of, previously valued, stuff is now available for a fraction of what is was. OK the museum quality stuff is still there, but the more run of the mill stuff has plummeted. Years ago every, run of the mill, antique shop would have loads of brass, few people want it now. Some very nice, properly made, furniture is so unfashionable you can hardly give it away, also it's too big for many houses. China and porcelain are the same, the best of the best still has a value, but the stuff that got dragged along is cheap. 

Stuff is being "repurposed" hacked about and painted to make it fashionable. In most cases you can buy the antique piece for much less than the cost of new wood  to make a new cupboard, etc. 

I have a few antiques inherited that originated from my great grandparents. The cost of transporting them round the UK over the years is probably more than their worth. The best comment recently was from my mother-in-law, "you should spray that old thing gold." It's a 17th Wainscot chair. It does amaze me how cheap good furniture is. A couple of hours of entertainment can be had from looking at the-saleroom.com, and by the same reckoning, you can get lovely jewelry at more realistic prices than your standard retail sources. Highly recommended method of purchasing an engagement ring or whatever.