MOT History Check - Sellers taking the P

gadgetgricey

39 minutes ago, CortinaDave said:

I saw an ad just last week for a Focus on marketplace listed as - MOT expired, no idea what it will need as I've no time to get it tested.

He seemingly had forgotten that he'd put it in for a test the previous Tuesday and it had catastrophically failed 😂

Ah God bless Faceache Marketplaice, where idiots try to out do other idiots by being a less of an idiot than the idiot asking "Best Price M9".

2 hours ago, sierraman said:

Not many people are going to fit £100 a piece Crossclimates to a 15 year old car.

I did, but I'm also intending to keep the car for at least as long as they last (which is currently looking like flipping ages!).

I don't understand the logic of fitting substandard parts to your own car unless it's to fix an issue before flogging it. 

Whilst finding matching branded tyres on a new purchase is nice it's not a deal breaker, I did go and see a car that had four different makes and three different sizes on (that was a step too far).

3 hours ago, CortinaDave said:

I saw an ad just last week for a Focus on marketplace listed as - MOT expired, no idea what it will need as I've no time to get it tested.

He seemingly had forgotten that he'd put it in for a test the previous Tuesday and it had catastrophically failed 😂

That , and the immortal..."It'll fly through the next MOT."....so MOT it then!!! 

I've seen quite a few cars advertised by portacabin type dealers for an above average price, based on the 'exceptionally low mileage.'  A quick check of MOT history often shows normal annual mileage progression until the early 2000s, then the accumulated 80K or whatever mysteriously drops by 50K or more and starts rising again by normal amounts in subsequent years, resulting in for example, a MK1 Focus (notorious for speedo/dashboard failures and thus replacement with NOS or low mileage 2nd hand spares), with 56K on the clock instead of >100K.  This does not necessarily mean that it is a clapped out wreck but it will deter me from travelling far to have a look.  

7 hours ago, colino said:

I have an old pal who puts all his retail cars through Kwik Fit for his MOTS and advertises them as such.  Everyone knows they fail to generate money so when he gets clean sheets punters think it is a pass plus.

Ha,ha, my Seicento was passed by them, clearly the tester went for lunch leaving his ID by the machine.....

25 minutes ago, sierraman said:

Back on subject of tyres, Michelin Primacy, which are on the front at the moment, £125 each fitted. 

Pair of Autogreens £50 a piece fitted. No brainier I think, they’ll not be as good as the Michelin’s but good enough. 

I was surprised when I searched for tyres for my Merc (185/65R15), that virtually every popular touring tyre was available in that size, and quite cheaply too. Went for some Goodyear EGP 2s at £68 fitted a corner.