1964 Volvo 122S - Amazonian rustforest. Electroshite.

juular

Ovlov looks great. 

If it was serviced at a garage on Sutherland Road then it's been in the country for a while. 

My Dad was head of the primary school just round the corner from there for many years.  That industrial area is all flats now because it's walking distance to Blackhorse road tube.

1 hour ago, cort1977 said:

Ovlov looks great. 

If it was serviced at a garage on Sutherland Road then it's been in the country for a while. 

My Dad was head of the primary school just round the corner from there for many years.  That industrial area is all flats now because it's walking distance to Blackhorse road tube.

Imported in the mid 70s I think.  

This is ex @warninglight's car. It was up for sale here in December and I was making all sorts of noises over it then.

I didn't have the funds or space for it then so I'm glad it came back on sale by the next owner for me to have another chance. I always wanted an Amazon but could never afford a running one. 

Thanks to @worldofceri for his excellent, friendly and professional transportation.

resizer_16312719249838.jpg

The car is not as rusty as expected. The bodywork is not rusty at all except for the patina.. I will not be painting it!!

The chassis looks alright, the main issue is the floors which have basically fallen off.

That, and the whole car is a jigsaw puzzle. Nearly everything screwed or bolted on has been detached and put in the boot in no real order. I guess it's a break from welding!

resizer_16312719249830.jpg

For some reason it has brand new tyres..

Being a SA car it has some different little touches from the UK market ones.

I love the design features of this car, just lovely.

resizer_16312719249834.jpg

resizer_16312719249836.jpg

resizer_16312719249835.jpg

resizer_16312719249837.jpg

Interior isn't bad at all except for the dash mat. I even got a free dog.

resizer_16312719249832.jpg

resizer_16312719249833.jpg

• juular changed the title to It began in Afrika. Incoming chod. 1964 Volvo Amazon 122S
4 minutes ago, juular said:

Imported in the mid 70s I think.  

This is ex @warninglight's car. It was up for sale here in December and I was making all sorts of noises over it then.

I didn't have the funds or space for it then so I'm glad it came back on sale by the next owner for me to have another chance. I always wanted an Amazon but could never afford a running one. 

Thanks to @worldofceri for his excellent, friendly and professional transportation.

resizer_16312719249838.jpg

The car is not as rusty as expected. The bodywork is not rusty at all except for the patina.. I will not be painting it!!

The chassis looks alright, the main issue is the floors which have basically fallen off.

That, and the whole car is a jigsaw puzzle. Nearly everything screwed or bolted on has been detached and dumped in the boot in no real order. I guess it's a break from welding!

resizer_16312719249830.jpg

For some reason it has brand new tyres..

Being a SA car it has some different little touches from the UK market ones.

I love the design features of this car, just lovely.

resizer_16312719249834.jpg

resizer_16312719249836.jpg

resizer_16312719249835.jpg

resizer_16312719249837.jpg

Interior isn't bad at all except for the dash mat. I even got a free dog.

resizer_16312719249832.jpg

resizer_16312719249833.jpg

looks like your dog to likeing to dash top lol

Amazons are fantastic cars, well capable of being run as everyday cars despite being 50+ years old. I loved mine, but sadly it doesn't appear to have turned a wheel since I sold it to a lad down south about 10 years ago.

Look forward to fallowing this one's progress.

DSC_0136.JPG

Class! I have a long obsession with the gear lever in these (and early 140s) - it just looks so chunky and powerful I always image it to be the most wonderfully direct, mechanical shift on any gearbox. Honestly, I've had long conversations with @Fabergé Greggs about this.

Then I drove one, and I spent about 15 minutes trying to find first gear - pulling away (in third) - stalling - trying to find first gear etc etc etc. The only time in my life I've really struggled with any aspect of driving a car. Incredibly embarrassing and it shattered all my dreams in an instant.

I'd still love one, though, and the prices are so all over the place I reckon a bargain might still be out there waiting for me

2 minutes ago, barrett said:

Class! I have a long obsession with the gear lever in these (and early 140s) - it just looks so chunky and powerful I always image it to be the most wonderfully direct, mechanical shift on any gearbox. Honestly, I've had long conversations with @Fabergé Greggs about this.

Heres a wee dirty photo for your enjoyment.

resizer_16312799939310.jpg

I gather it has a rather long shift travel meaning you punch the dash frequently.

I'm not able to try it as along with everything else the stick is in the boot!

6 hours ago, juular said:

Heres a wee dirty photo for your enjoyment.

resizer_16312799939310.jpg

I'm not able to try it as along with everything else the stick is in the boot!

I was scratching my head at this pic. 

Which part of a car has a radiator, a gearknob and a hub cap in such close proximity?!

Oh yes of course, the boot.  

Fantastic buying of a Volvo. Can't wait for more action. 

The Volvos, they appear to be breeding..

Another collection. Poo count negligible.

img-20210912-wa0016.jpg

img-20210912-wa0011.jpg

resizer_16315196333901.jpg

resizer_16315196333900.jpg

Found this very nearby at scrap price. It has a working engine with an overdrive box, and a full interior.

I'll be stripping it and weighing it in, the timing could not have been better!

With thanks to @Lacquer Peelfor the heads up and the photos.