Poorly VRS

twosmoke300

31 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Isn't it quite common for people to be fiddling with the Positive Crankcase Ventilation system on these thinking it'll somehow improve performance? Like you said there's bloody loads of pipework in these engines. Maybe someone had a go and didn't do a right job. 

It doesn’t look messed with at all . So hopefully that won’t be the case . Just wish I had more time to fiddle 

16 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

It’s roughly the same temp front n rear and plenty exhaust pressure out back . Did notice when moving it in the yard today that the brake pedal was very hard so I’m putting money on a vac leak but fuck me dead these 1.8t motors have hundreds of vac pipes . 

Don't they just, done a few and don't want to revisit. Otherwise bullet proof that engine. Window regs and door latches aside its a tough car that mk4 platform. 

I reckon you're going to become a convert and start saying what a great car this era of vag product was 😁

Next @sierraman buys a mk5 golf diesel and really rates it 🤣

9 minutes ago, Matty said:

Don't they just, done a few and don't want to revisit. Otherwise bullet proof that engine. Window regs and door latches aside its a tough car that mk4 platform. 

I reckon you're going to become a convert and start saying what a great car this era of vag product was 😁

Next @sierraman buys a mk5 golf diesel and really rates it 🤣

Don’t be so ridiculous. 🤣

I’ve actually owned a couple of vag group cars in the past .

A 98 golf 1.9tdi pre pd. Dissapointing on fuel and a wet blancmange to drive .

Skoda Octavia mk2 estate 1.9 pd 105 . Ex wife still has this and it’s actually been a bloody good car . I put a set of shells in it as a pre emptive strike as it’s the known troublesome BLS / BXE code engine but they were like new . Good on fuel , not fast but adequate. An overall good practical car . 

Another mk1 Octavia in low spec petrol form . Meh . 

1972 beetle 1300 . As horrible as you can imagine but I was young and the ladies loved it 

Couple of Early 90’s Audi 80’s . Now these were bloody great cars . The cars where vag built their reputation.

Think that’s it but I expect I might remember a few more at some point .

• 4 weeks later...

Finally got some time to fiddle with this ( the apprentice has been off for nearly 3 weeks with the 'rona )

I think it might be fixed subject to road test.

Initial fault was running massively lean , Checked all the obvious vac and breather hoses all ok. 

Hooked up a vac gauge to the manifold and it was only pulling 5in of vac at idle when it should be 20ish- smoke test and pressure test the inlet , all ok

Took the primary lambda sensor out to allow some exhaust flow to eliminate blocked cat , no difference.

I noticed if i fed some map gas into the inlet the vac would rise and run better . That made me go down a rabbit hole of checking fuel pressure etc but all tested perfect.

Every thing on live data reading ok bar some dodgy map sensor readings

I noticed if I put a piece of card over the inlet I could get decent vac and stall the engine so no massive leaks . 

I did a throttle body adaptation on VCDS and fuck me dead , 18 in of vac at idle . Jesus wept 

But it wasnt happy and still showed a cyl 1 misfire . Changed the plugs as they must have been getting silly hot with all the lean running but still lumpy.

The coil packs had already been changed with new Delphi ones but the old ones were in the boot so swapped it over and BOOM ! sweet as a nut.

What a fucking mission . 

TLDR VAG are over complicated and Delphi are a bit wank

2 hours ago, twosmoke300 said:

I don’t think the TB is faulty just needed setting up . Pain in the ass .

Every day is a school day 

That would never have occurred to me, never heard of that being a thing - the garage who were investigating it were planning to move on to fuel system tests if I'd wanted to continue so I can be fairly confident there would have been some serious chargeable hours of diagnosis before/if they got to that.  The throttle body hadn't changed, though - it wasn't removed or fiddled with that I can think of.  Anyway, good that you found the problem, hopefully it'll live on for a while yet - despite its miles, before this occurred, it was a really nice car to drive.