Utter Arse Candle!!!

Motown

My SD1 was a respray away from completion and as that's booked for the end of the month I've been driving it everyday enjoying it as much as i can. Daily commutes to work.. school runs... trips to the supermarket you name it.... been getting about 26 MPG and although its burnt a hole in my pocket and made the wife's face resemble a bulldog chewing on a wasp I've enjoyed every moment.

So imagine my utter heartbreak today to discover someone has clipped the back of it smashing the rear bumper and denting the rear quarter panel. The chap doing the respray thinks he can sort the dent but finding a rear bumper is proving problematic on a budget to get the car finished.

Does anyone know were i can acquire a series 2 rear bumper without paying the £200 Rimmers and Ebay are asking for. Rimmers have new rear bumpers but they are £195 plus £37 for the chrome trim both of which are on back order anyway according to there website.... Ebay isnt much better with only one bumper being listed at £150 unfortunately i dont have that kind of money till the end of the month as i have other plans for other cars and dont really want to take the car off the road after all the hard work I've done on it over these past few months.

Any help would be appreciated. Cheers 😔

6 hours ago, somewhatfoolish said:

How does a bent bumper stop you driving it? Proper kick the cat moment though, any chance of finding the waste of skin who did it?

The rear bumper is completely smashed and the support bracket has snapped so its hanging off at one end. Its illegal to drive without a bumper is it not? If i found out who did it i would certainly kick there cat haha! 

6 minutes ago, dave j said:

On the positive side, it has happened before it went for paint! Still bloody annoying though and hope you get it sorted easily

Yup your right there it could have been alot worse. I am abit low and frustrated at the moment but il get over it especially once ive found a new rear bumper

The rear bumper bolts in through the boot so you should be able to take those out and it'll just come off. I double you'll get in trouble with the fuzz as the plate, light etcs is all separate from the bumper.

7415396970_44c6ae3951_h.jpg

I'm sure I had one and binned it after it fell on my head. Have you tried the the SD1 forum?

12 minutes ago, cort16 said:

The rear bumper bolts in through the boot so you should be able to take those out and it'll just come off. I double you'll get in trouble with the fuzz as the plate, light etcs is all separate from the bumper.

7415396970_44c6ae3951_h.jpg

I'm sure I had one and binned it after it fell on my head. Have you tried the the SD1 forum?

No joy on the forum its looking like il have to wait until the end of the month and pay silly money for a new one

53 minutes ago, cort16 said:

You seen this one for £75?  It needs to be collected though from South Lincolnshire.

211859414_10159177387904763_672384911506

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/2946333112249421

51 minutes ago, Motown said:

Thank you! 

If it helps you and/or the seller I can collect and store for you.  I seem to remember that you're Yorkshire(ish) so would mean it ends up a further 30 miles from you, but the offer's there!

• 2 weeks later...

My old A series was without a bumper for a couple of years after it rotted away and fell off. It stil passed the ministry test (5 1/2 tonner) without any problems.

Eventually after being unable to find a replacement bumper, we fitted a railway sleeper to it (nicely chamfered edges and corners knocked off). It still passed without problems. :D

On 9/7/2021 at 8:40 AM, Motown said:

Hey, Settle down okay? I was under the impression it wasn't road legal without a bumper also i dont wanna drive around looking like steptoe and son 😆

If it’s part of the bodywork then it needs to be present and no sharp edges, if it’s a separate old style bumper a bit like an old Cortina etc then if fitted needs end caps/no sharp edges but it’ll still pass if it’s completely removed.