Scrapyards......WTF are they thinking????

bezzabsa

needed a few parts for the Corsa , so me and a m9 decided to have a rummage around a few scrapyards for the bits...

Walks into 1st one.....Any Corsa C's in m9???

No Mate we frag em as soon as we get em in...no call for parts!!!

Yes there is .. I WANT SOME!!

rinse and repeat at 2 further scrappers.........

FINALLY ABC just outside of Oldbury, pulled in, asked the question, and got pointed up the Yard...

ONLY GOT ABOUT 10 OF THEM IN....WOOHOO

AND we were allowed to get the bits off ourselves :D

so for P/S sunvisor, clock and temp thingy, lower dash panel, clock spring for indicator self cancel and steering column shroud £20.....well chuffed...

Just pissed off that so many Scrappers class them as no longer viable......

ABC reckons 2 - 3 weeks and they're picked clean......the Steering columns were all removed , he must have a contract for them (leccy I think??)

Looks like another passtime is quickly going down the drain...a good rummage round a scrapyard!!!

I mean let’s be realistic here, they’re running a business and space is money. It’s not worth most scrap metal yards space and time waiting once in a blue moon for someone, on the off chance to want some bits and bats off a Corsa C. Depollute it, then chuck it in the baler and on to the next.

4 minutes ago, sierraman said:

I mean let’s be realistic here, they’re running a business and space is money. It’s not worth most scrap metal yards space and time waiting once in a blue moon for someone, on the off chance to want some bits and bats off a Corsa C. Depollute it, then chuck it in the baler and on to the next.

The yard that pays the best money round here does pretty much this. Cat off, fluids out, Zanussi next week. 

12 minutes ago, bezzabsa said:

needed a few parts for the Corsa , so me and a m9 decided to have a rummage around a few scrapyards for the bits...

Walks into 1st one.....Any Corsa C's in m9???

No Mate we frag em as soon as we get em in...no call for parts!!!

Yes there is .. I WANT SOME!!

rinse and repeat at 2 further scrappers.........

FINALLY ABC just outside of Oldbury, pulled in, asked the question, and got pointed up the Yard...

ONLY GOT ABOUT 10 OF THEM IN....WOOHOO

AND we were allowed to get the bits off ourselves :D

so for P/S sunvisor, clock and temp thingy, lower dash panel, clock spring for indicator self cancel and steering column shroud £20.....well chuffed...

Just pissed off that so many Scrappers class them as no longer viable......

ABC reckons 2 - 3 weeks and they're picked clean......the Steering columns were all removed , he must have a contract for them (leccy I think??)

Looks like another passtime is quickly going down the drain...a good rummage round a scrapyard!!!

Do you remember the Jungle in Bilston ?

5 minutes ago, Kiltox said:

The yard that pays the best money round here does pretty much this. Cat off, fluids out, Zanussi next week. 

Same for Focus Mk1, Astra G, Vectra petrols etc etc. Parts are so cheap new or on eBay. Even fewer still want people rambling about ‘having a look round’ (pinching). A lot of these where you go in yourself attract some right idiots, last one I went in some young chap presumably looking for the Darwin Award was taking the gearbox out of a Civic that was propped up on some stones and half bricks. 

Putting that into consideration and the inevitability that some fool will end up picking a seven half way through pulling an engine out means that from a Health and Safety perspective it’s not worth inviting the general public in. 

I have never bought from a scrappy for years - their prices were no longer cheap enough - not their fault - somebody has to pay for all the environmental controls imposed on them.

The final straw was buying a brake caliper for a galant - they sent the wrong side and it was utterly fucked.

My most memorable scrapyard story I have is seeing an omega parked up and start taking the cruise control stalk off to put in my Astra to be told by a worker it was actually the bosses car parked up. Have also gone to pay for my bits and found the place closed for the day and locked up and had to scale the front gate to leave (leaving the bits behind obviously).

I left on the north side of Bristol that I can go in.. All the rest closed down or they strip the bits... Times move on etc.

most parts on Ebay now are from scrappies gone legit(ish) and blokes doing it from home as a sideline. I used to enjoy rummaging around when I was younger. Viva pedal boxes was the most common thing to go and get.

personally i hate visiting "scrap yards"

mind you, most of them round here are very very sketchy run by erm, questionable characters

now, we have both cleveland auto recyclers (i think they're called) and morgan's autosalvage which are both more professional (and expensive) but absolutely excellent

honestly, i can't be arsed faffing around half the time and usually either hunt ebay or get in touch with my usual 2 places

half the time with the ebay ones you have to be careful to not get a wrong piece of absolute scrap metal delivered 2 months late

I went to the scrappy this morning. Im lucky that our local scrappy hasnt changed much at all over the years. turn over of cars is slow and gets picked pretty clean before frag. 

I get on well with one of the ladies there so prices are decent with her, a few of the chaps there are very stereotypical scrappy grumps. Chickens cats and dogs running about for extra entertainment.

About a 3rd of the yard is now cars that up up for sale, usually runners that have been driven in.  This section is usually a test of my ability to not buy shite, i . . must... resist . . Shite. . . 

20210902_123721.thumb.jpg.24efc02f18df0ee01e6f1b265beba22b.jpg

8 hours ago, cort16 said:

I got fucked off with the scrappies because of their high prices and shitey attitudes.

Same here, the attitude of the young lad who owned Allparts behind me was stinking. 

They've cleared out now though, I presume closed down. It had better not be 2500 unaffordable houses going up in its place.

Meh some are ok, some can be right cunts. The ones I used to use like Deatons at Staveley and another whose name escapes me now but it was in Dunston, Chesterfield were alright with me but then I went there fairly regularly. 

I can see why they get in a shitty mood with some people though. Say someone phones up and they’ll want to know if there’s a seatbelt buckle for a 2005 Astra or whatever that’s over the far side of the yard, a farting £10 sale. It’s the clientele you get round as well, travellers, odd wankers wanting to buy used brake pads, people leaving with unusually heavy tool boxes etc. 

A lot of these selling parts on eBay are doing it as a homer, no depolluting the car, just stripping it in the garden as a part time job either that or renting a unit and not declaring the change of business use. Plus on newer cars a large percentage of it is stolen, particularly Transits, Land Rovers etc.

The EA are clamping down on a lot of these impromptu back garden scrap metals yards big time. Anyway you need proper facilities to be breaking cars at a rate enough to provide a living. 

BITD.... Good words... But, yes it was!

I'm 64 and been a scrappie dog since 18, Imps my particular poison 🤫

I vividly recall a yard which was ace for just about anything, wide open land - bit 'out in the country', likely an old time farmer 'side gig'!

There was proper stream.... trickly flow.... skirted the back edge (my having stood and contributed to the flow...). It was stained bluey/black as it meandered past and it was easy to trace the leaching....

Cheap fun..... But Not Good 😱

2 minutes ago, captain_70s said:

My experience of scrappies is the parts are 10% less than a brand new one and are usually shagged and the owners really don't seem to want to sell anything.

Exactly it's like it's their treasure and they're doing you a massive favour by selling it to you at an inflated price. Place like u-pullit are good as it's all menu pricing and the folk behind the desk don't treat you like you've robbed their granny.

I've usually found that dressed in my dirty boiler suit gets a more positive reaction from scrapyard workers. Usually there a bit of surprised look on their face when you start talking with an English accent. Most of their cliental (at least around here) apparently are Eastern Europeans. Probably because many are far more likely to repair their car themselves. 

I actually enjoy removing the parts myself. Also gives you a good idea of how to replace the part on your own car without risking damaging yours by finding out first. 

I usually ask for the price before I remove it. Often on a modern car they don't really understand exactly what you are after. E.g. don't call it an ABS pump, it's a ABS modulator block. Only when you have it in hand do they realise and at least the yards I used always honoured the price. If the price is unrealistic I give the expression of disgust and remark "Really??". Then counter offer something more realistic as "that's what they go for around on eBay at". Usually works and I haven't been punched in the face yet. 

Tbh most of the time it's easier to order something from eBay and have it shipped to the door. 

1 hour ago, captain_70s said:

My experience of scrappies is the parts are 10% less than a brand new one and are usually shagged and the owners really don't seem to want to sell anything.

I've found that it's always worth checking the main dealer for prices. 

Sometimes you are pleasantly surprised. 

2 hours ago, SiC said:

I've usually found that dressed in my dirty boiler suit gets a more positive reaction from scrapyard workers.

Yep, and having tools in hand aswell. Shows your not going to be a timewaster wanting help or asking stupid questions. 

I generally dont ask the prices beforehand, i takes my gamble that ive been an easy cash customer and that im easy money to them. stuff always rounds to the nearest £5. 

When im given a price i usually say "sounds good to me" and hand over the dosh.  Ive had some right bargains from there so if something is a bit pricey i feel its balanced out from other cheaper purchases and pay up.  

N.s Rear light for my Astra was a tenner yesterday after i was left to rummage through the shelves of old light units.  

20210902_130252.thumb.jpg.f785b35f7b21708808cccf7317fea738.jpg