E10 Fuel

Motown

There was a piece on central news last night about the “new E10 fuel”

A guy was interviewed about his 18 year old Mercedes that is apparently incompatible with the new fuels and is apparently scrap,

The car in question looked like a 2005 CLK (looked like a V6 under the bonnet) but you couldn’t see the reg as the guy was stood in front of it,

the gist of the story was he had lost thousands of pounds as his car was now scrap as it couldn’t run on the new fuel and he’s at a loss of what to do. 

there was an “expert” on at the end of the piece advising people to buy a new electric car 

just wondered if anyone else saw this, it was on last night ITV Midlands 6pm news

5 minutes ago, goosey said:

A guy was interviewed about his 18 year old Mercedes that is apparently incompatible with the new fuels and is apparently scrap,

The car in question looked like a 2005 CLK (looked like a V6 under the bonnet) but you couldn’t see the reg as the guy was stood in front of it,

the gist of the story was he had lost thousands of pounds as his car was now scrap as it couldn’t run on the new fuel and he’s at a loss of what to do. 

there was an “expert” on at the end of the piece advising people to buy a new electric car 

just wondered if anyone else saw this, it was on last night ITV 6pm news

No but now i want to find it and watch it. 

33 minutes ago, goosey said:

just wondered if anyone else saw this, it was on last night ITV Midlands 6pm news

Well shit,

the first generation Mercedes 200CGI engines 2002-2005 are NOT compatible,

so ITV was correct 

I filled up with it for the first time today, compatible according the gov.uk checker, can't see it making much difference in a Nissan Note but time will tell.

It does say that E5 will still be available but probably a bit more expensive and not at every petrol station, so probably no need to panic just yet, but I don't mind beating the scrap price of the Merc by £20 if it helps the guy on on the programme 😀

I think the problem in this country is the ethanol can absorb water, not so much of a problem in other countries but a lot of classic cars owners keep their car off the road during the winter months when the roads are covered in salt so the  classics will sit in the garage corroding the fuel tank and lines instead 😒

1 hour ago, goosey said:

Speaking as someone who used to work in regional news (not Midlands), this kind of BS journalism and bad science is nothing unusual to me. Most reporters wouldn't know how to open a bonnet and are some of the most practically & technically inept people (not all bad people, some were real nice, just often not the brightest ) I've ever met so I'd not pay any attention to this other than to say it was a clear attempt at forwarding the 'Buy an electric car - save the world' agenda. 

54 minutes ago, maxxo said:

there will be solutions and additives in place for affected cars

i see no reason to make a big deal or worry about it

similar sort of panic i feel was happening when leaded fuel was replaced

it'll be alright, it will always be alright

E10 has been around for a long time already, but suitable ethanol inhibitor will cost about £10 per tank usually. Much cheaper just to find a supermarket that sells cheap super and use that. 

I think super is £1.349 per litre at my local Sainsburys 

1 hour ago, goosey said:

Well shit,

the first generation Mercedes 200CGI engines 2002-2005 are NOT compatible,

so ITV was correct 

Many first generation direct injection petrols aren't. Vauxhall Direct engines and Volkswagen FSI engines also aren't compatible. 

As for my cars, apparently all Jaguars since 1992 are compatible, all Hondas with fuel injection are compatible and all Porsche Boxster/911 since the 986/996 generation too 

1 hour ago, goosey said:

I thought the fella was a bit of idiot to be honest. It's not scrap, stick Super in it or the inhibitor. 

As for the "expert", he can fuck off too. He'll be the same prick who told everyone to get a diesel 10 years ago. 

21 minutes ago, horriblemercedes said:

Many first generation direct injection petrols aren't. Vauxhall Direct engines and Volkswagen FSI engines also aren't compatible. 

As for my cars, apparently all Jaguars since 1992 are compatible, all Hondas with fuel injection are compatible and all Porsche Boxster/911 since the 986/996 generation too 

Volvo had said cars from the late 70s onwards are good. Which is mad when you think about it, were they using Ethanol back in the day in Sweden or the Nordic countries? 

I’ve not used it yet, I’m sticking to super unleaded as much as I can now. Use it or lose it springs to mind!

But, ive bought a bottle of TetraBoost for my classic’s, which is proper lead replacement and treats ethanol which I’ll probably use when needed. 
The Volvo is good for E10 (good old swedes!) but I’m going to put some ethanol additive in it too just to help it a bit. Just incase!

I don’t think it’s going to cause too much trouble in all honesty. Just like when four star leaded fuel disappeared, panic to begin with, then solutions come up and we get around it.

Both the River and Jag could be made E10 compatible with some new Orings on the carbs (and I guess the Mustang too) but as they both need 99-100 octane I'm not bothering yet (if at all)

Esso have said they will be doing 99 supreme E5 with no Ethanol for a fair while yet (and there is an esso half a mile from my house... no influence in buying the house at all..)

42 minutes ago, Spurious said:

Volvo had said cars from the late 70s onwards are good. Which is mad when you think about it, were they using Ethanol back in the day in Sweden or the Nordic countries? 

Saabs too from the mid 80's and they had been dabbling with high ethanol fuels around 15 years ago so it must have been in the Swede's minds

Me? The 3 Japanese cars none are compatible but will just stick in Super, really baffled by the fuss of it all

3 hours ago, goosey said:

So matey running A 2005 Merc is advised to scrap it an buy a new EV buy an ‘expert’. Said ‘expert’ obviously doesn’t live in the same real World as 2005 Merc man which is why he’s running it because it’s in his budget and can’t afford a new EV. So much for equality then and I reckon that old Merc will run for many more years yet as that’s what they are known for and proved to do, and I’m sure fuel additives will be the way forward if super unleaded is phased out by the green meanies.

Both our cars are fine with E10, Modus is 2004 and used regularly will be fine, C30 T5 is 20011, only used infrequently, but I always put super (usually Momentum99) so not a problem.

Given that E10 apparently makes it difficult to start an engine when the fuel goes stale and this happens quickly, my biggest problem will be the mower. I'm not keen to put super in that, but may be the best option

I got to the pump today in the Pontiac… my thinking… E10 has been used in the States since the 90s it’ll be fine… 

I wussed out and put some super in it anyway.

Im slightly undecided on how to play this one. On my carburettor cars it’ll be super no question, but on my injection cars as long as I use them regularly I might stick with regular. Except the Elgrand which is very specific about its need for super.

The Saab 9000 is the only officially E10 compatible member of the fleet. 

Deja vu when 4 star went out of fashion?

The list of what's compatible and what's not is more extensive than some would think ("any car from pre-2011 needs to be run on E5!" as some are saying). If you run a 30-40 year old car you should replace the fuel lines anyway. If you are laying such a car up, tank it with premium grade stuff first.  I think these mainly refer to cars which sit for months without being started - the Capri gets a run at least every fortnight during winter, so should not be an issue (besides, see above, new fuel lines and the carb is new fit anyway).

Also, it's doubtful that many pumps as of today are dispensing E10. It changed from 1st September so will be a few days 'till it's coming out the pumps.