66 Mustang coupe

Low Horatio gearbox

Mild fettling this weekend - it's the boys birthday and he wanted some form of celebration even though he had one not 12 months ago...

Not quite up to the welding and fabrication of others (yet) let's call it fixing shite-lite!

New wiper blades (thrilling I know,  so thrilling I couldn't be bothered to do pics, mind at 20 quid a single fucking wiper I should have!)

And new door knob trim rings, a visible difference as one was MIA and the other a grotty faded yucky yellow. 

Before:

20210904_150627

20210904_150915

And after. A small but noticeable improvement. 

20210904_151329

20210904_151254

And a moment of hilarity for the warning on the back of the packet they came in.

20210905_152851

I did want to get round to doing the rear lights - currently US spec red indicator/running/brake combo as I've some snazzy programmable LED ones to retrofit a la..

But I ran out of go so ....manyana

4 hours ago, TheOtherStu said:

That is gorgeous and probably far too nice for this forum 😂

In concept yes, but there is enough patina, dings and god awful paint for me to get a Drs note and be excused! 

3 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

LEDs on a sixties 'Stang? Nooooooooo! 

Can't wait to see this honey purring on the queen's pot-holed mess highway before too long though!

Yes, but I dont fancy the faff of wiring, new bulb holders/backing, new lenses and dicking around. These are drop in replacements 3 or 4 wires (err I think!) And screw it back together. They will do plain  flash too. 

There were definitely a few cars in that period which had sequential turn signals - way before anyone had even thought about LEDs etc.  Heck, back when LEDs were still little more than a curiosity in a semiconductor lab really...

Struggling to remember any specific examples but I'm sure one was a Mercury.

At least from the video it looks like they have a decent fade in/out so shouldn't look too jarring.

56 minutes ago, Zelandeth said:

There were definitely a few cars in that period which had sequential turn signals - way before anyone had even thought about LEDs etc.  Heck, back when LEDs were still little more than a curiosity in a semiconductor lab really...

At least from the video it looks like they have a decent fade in/out so shouldn't look too jarring.

Early sixties Thunderbird had them…

On 9/7/2021 at 9:28 AM, Rocket88 said:

Ref rear lights…. Converting reversing lights to indicators is a fairly simple requiring job… no LED bulbs required!

I was unaware but anything beyond a simple DC circuit (battery - switch - light/thing) is beyond me!  I've taken the lense of and prodded.. as is the  lights have 2 wires and I presume the housing is the earth  and the  drop in LED board have 4 wires so I'm suitably passing it on to someone  who knows what the fuck they are doing.

Anyway.. after some frantic running around the Mustang foes off tommorrow for the start of the strike and welding. So progress is about to happen and I'm about to acquire new skills (hopefully reach and then exceed my current skillset. Given I've not touched a welder in 20 years that shouldn't be difficult)

Have a pic of something  I knocked up for my son this morning  for nothing (if you excuse having to buy the car for the plate and spare badge...)

20210908_120655.jpg

The Thunderbird was the first with sequential tail lights I think. Shortly followed by the Mercury Cougar (essentially a Mustang itself). 
I was actually sat behind one a few months ago that still had them working. They do look awesome.

Some late 60’s Chrysler’s also had them.

2 hours ago, Dick Longbridge said:

^ That looks like a drunk replica of a Lancia Fulvia.

You say that like it's a bad thing!

Tbh I'm not one for bodykitted/nmodded cars especially Mustangs  (almost pathologically stock boring plz!) But that looks great  @Bren and  belive me I've seen a few dozen shonky awful  ones in my search  (and a really bad C2 Corvette for bargain money.. relatively )

The chase is on youtube. The car looks fab. I would love an american but the boat has sailed.

I saw a 1971 Galaxie custom on tinterweb last night - £13k. Lovely metallic green four door but salty price wise. I would have lost the trims and just drove it like Burt Reynolds.

I will check that out later ta Bren. It's been  a morning.. day of events.

@worldofceri was here, I'd say bright eyed and such but he did bring the pissing rain to Wales with him.. just saying.  Mind he also bought another choice piece of autoshite gold. Once that was offloaded and put in the garage to my girlfriends delight the Mustangs  was being loaded  up to go over to a friends workshop for the nip and tuck.

It's been given a prod and a poke and  pronounced and alright buy as per above "get a 4 barrel on there and some tubular manifolds.... I know somone who could  straighten this out and put make it look  shiney and lovely for a reasonable amount. "  I mean what is it not a picture of beauty now? 🤔😁

Moreover than that it was taken inside and the oily bits prodded and looked at. He was adjusting and tuning the carbs within 10 minutes of it coming off the trailer and now is running way better - previously quite lean and too lumpy.  It seems that while papers had been thrown at it... I mean fitted they hadn't been screwed down or adjusted.  I've a list of mostly service parts to get (plugs, rocket gaskets, filter, oil, carb linkage bushing kit, updated coil)  fingers crossed il be over there stripping the interior at the start of next week ready for the surgery.

6 hours ago, Bren said:

The chase is on youtube. The car looks fab. I would love an american but the boat has sailed.

I saw a 1971 Galaxie custom on tinterweb last night - £13k. Lovely metallic green four door but salty price wise. I would have lost the trims and just drove it like Burt Reynolds.

I looked at a 64 2 door  4 or 5 months back.  Great in the pics, less so in real life, drastically moreso when both outer corners of the front floorpan were "structural  carpet underlay" 5-6"  just not there.. tho the seller said it doesnt matter as its separate frame and body.  Err no my feet or my sons go there. That was 15k and I'm glad he turned my (reasonable)  offer down. Salty isn't the word the pandemic and such has made entry level american stuff . 

• 3 weeks later...
On 9/1/2021 at 1:26 PM, Spottedlaurel said:

Just go through the jobs that'll make it a reliable, useful and moderately safe* means of transport,

Currently happening, my mechanic friend gave me a list of stuff which leads too...

On 9/2/2021 at 3:50 PM, Bren said:

I think it would respond well to a four barrel and some tubular fanny moulds - you could get hi po versions of the 289.

...a new carb is coming now. The one in there was incorrect for the engine it was more cost effective to replace  it with a new right one and inlet manifold than overhaul  and make the existing  set up work (the vacuum  for the kickdown had been blanked off and other oddities)

Did Bren call it with the 4 barrel or have I cheaped/chickened out and stuck with a 2 barrel?   The parts should be here in the next week and I will be prodding vigorously for welding to start (and so I can have a go!)  This isn't helped as he also has my XJ as well and is part way thru all its mechanical niggles (which I'd d be successfully ignoring) including 2 new fuel pumps, cam and exhaust gaskets and a scandalous amount of imperial fastners. Tho judging by the moans and complaints from him he is loving it.

On 9/7/2021 at 12:00 PM, Zelandeth said:

Yeah Thunderbirds being the main one, My mate got stopped by the cops and told that they were illegal over here (back in 70s) so he changed em. Don't think the law understood if they were factory fitted it was ok back then. Nowadays all you can see on new shite is SEQUENTIALS with leds?

• 3 weeks later...

Progress  of sorts continues. Certainly more bits have been landing to bolt on or replace tired parts. More importantly..  a v5 which I didn't expect this quick.

20211021_181857

The front shock bushings were tired and at least one shock was pretty worn. Moot point as the shocks were about £55 a corner (the bushings were about 30 quid.. so no brainer)

IMG-20211014-WA0002

Chilli, protecting the new waterpump,  fitting kit and passenger side mirror.   Insert "mewstang" joke here...

20211021_181633

So comprehensively mechanically

New carb and inlet manifold and bushings kit, various new vacuum  and fuel lines to fit

New waterpump, heater hoses and pcv valve 

Oil, filters and plugs, atf, and coolant

Cosmetically:

Wiper blades, RHD head lights, led rear lights/indicators, correct sized metal plates to fit. New front and rear screen seals - for a professional to fit.

Hopefully then it'll just be new tyres and a new carpet set - need to prod for welding coaching.

• 2 months later...
  • 5 months later...
On 1/4/2022 at 3:30 PM, Dick Longbridge said:

Any updates on this one? 

Finally yes.  I've been less than stellar healthwise since Christmas so that and life meant everything  slipped/put in hold.

(Not aided by my mechanic friend having real  life problems not my first world  "you fixed my mustang and my Jag  yet.. I'm only rolling around in the Rover"  problem.)

The mustang is coming back to me next weds for welding finally  and I will have the time to knock it out and get it on the road by the middle of July.  The vauxhall has bee pushed to the finish line and runs and stops so can vacate the garage and move to the carport  and I can leave the Mustang in the garage without having to tidy it away or shuffle a car out to work on it.   There was a mild saga  with the carb.. in that it got sent to the wrong person and needed to be chased and swapped back, oh and it turned up sans manifold.. so still waiting on that. The old one is on it and running/tuned up luckily. The plan is to cut back and weld under tuition if the GFs dad (I've not welled anything in about 20 years) and inbetween  fit the new shocks and snag it and then just new tyres - am on the fence about aftermarket alloy wheels -  period ones nit a gopping modern type.

• 2 weeks later...

And it's all a flutter and a going, I dont know where but we are moving at least.

The mustang was supposed to be collected last Wednesday  but plans and reality rarely sync.  Today tho, today was the day that the saga continued. I say saga as the mustang was parked up and 4 inert cars had to be moved,  the 2 infernal combustion engines were a matter of minutes  but the other 2 were EVs and so had to have more time juicing up . The 12v automotive battery in one was flat and without that it wont even turn on but it had main pack charge (yay), the other was the opposite  so much time was spent waiting.

Anyway all 4 blockers moved and a charged battery for the Mustang a d a little gentle coaxing and she fired up and a tweek of the old carb and  she ran. Brakes were checked and it was  run up to temp while I put on its UK plates.   

And away, s l o w l y  we went, 6 months lack of use and  the carb isn't overly happy about  delivering  neck snapping go. Junctions and roundabouts would need some consideration  and it ddint really get much above 40 despite mashing the pedal. However it didnt want to stall or make horrendous noise, smells or smoke and the unassisted drums are fucking ferocious.   The only issue bar lack of acceleration  was  the kinda expected vauge steering, possibly the steering  box needs adjusting -the Rover was the same.

The only unwanted surprise  was  the 3rd turn on a small steep mountain road when the NSF wheel trim made a nasty change  and in the side mirror I watched it sail off into the verge and probbaly to a several hundred foot drop.  My GF who was following said she considered stopping to get it but knows how quick it drops off there so stuck with me-the right call imho as we were only about a mile into the journey.  I'm going back tommorrow - they wre expensive, but my OCD is more.. "I don't want one new shiny one that's odd" 🤪🤔🤦🏻‍♂️

The next 9 miles or so back were uneventfull. Due to roadworks all the roads were 40 mph limit so the lack of speed wasnt an issue, tho the agonizing acceleration was a pain. On and the GF said the front tyres had a bulge/wobble, but I will give my card a beating later and order 4 new Pirrelli Cintaros i think - i like the look and tread of them on the Rover. New tyres were a given as the current ones are odd makes and while they look ok are more than 6 years old. She also said it lookd  amazing going over the top of the pass. 

So now that.

Welding. Top priority, the GFs dad should be around this week to look at it (again) and while I would love his help and tuition i'm not waiting beyond next Monday to start welding as this project has slipled6 too much already.

Replace the tyres.

Replace all 4 shocks .

Wire in rear amber Led indicators/brake lights.

Apply rust inhibitor and paint the underside - I need to check if all the parts are in the boot so likely I'll have a fun few days on my back doing ghr underside.

1656937751300_IMG-20220704-WA0000.jpeg

Ta for the recommendation  Eddie, tho they seem unobtanium currently.  

Anyway progress in the running department. I've adjusted the throttle linkage and removed a lot of empty travel in the pedal where it wasnt actually opening the throttle and adjusted the carb slightly. A fair old improvement for now but s bit more to get out if it.  I plugged up a vacume leak  in the mechanical advance mechanism.

It was right  then some pretty  knackered looking fuel line decided to let go fully and actually  move from looking borked to being really knackered. Cue a 4 foot stream of fuel, at least I know the mechanical pump is good. It looked just as ropey yesterday and I ignored it to the best of my abilities.

20220705_123925.jpg

20220705_123923.jpg

After I'd stopped crying   - petrol is expensive! I rummaged around and found some new line for it and the  rocker cover to carb vaccum pipe which looked utter past it as well.

Pipes replaced  and back together and running with I wouldn't  say gusto but a bit more go at least, as for the tyres yes they are round, airtight and not  falling apart but grippy they  are not. 

New fuel  hose and the old vaccum line, now gone

20220705_125129.jpg

20220705_125122.jpg

And again with the updates

TL/DR:  welding rig arrived, welding basics lesson given, welding practice is ongoing, tyres ordered.

As promised the GFs dad  brought over his welder (and I'm very privileged to be allowed to use it) yesterday and I was very happy, then surprised when he plugged it all in and set it up and  gave me 5 minutes of the basics and to double check I was capable. He would laugh if I hurt myself but I'm a dead man if I damage his tools.  And then left to it while he went of to have a picnic I'm the garden.

It's been 20 years but I didnt break the welder, burn the garage down or injure myself . My first go yesterday and the results of this mornings  practicing. The metal is tad thicker than the metal panel I have and the sheet stuff I've ordered but not massively so, but I ddint blow many holes or warp it when trying to plug weld holes yay.  By today they looked decent and I was getting good penetration, prep and cleankienes and relaxing and taking time are key go this place and YouTube! I've been told not to cut rust out or weld in new metal yet -  but soon!  Obviously I did the next best thing which was ordering grinding discs, jogglers and other tools/consumables immediately!  Rounding it out I ordered some new Michelins which should be here next Thursday. 

Other updates.  Tightening the steering box lash not even a quarter of a turn - all it would go with a screwdriver and tightening the lock nut -massive improvement.  Still soft and vauge but the steering wheel feels directly connected to the front wheels now.  The gearbox needs adjusting as the shifts are thumping instead of smooth. I believe  from @sdkrc Galaxie thresd that this isnt normal at all. I suspect i need to adjust the throttle pedal linkage again as kickdown hanst happened yet - tho the history file (folder of disorganized bills) says it had a new transmission,  well within thr last decade.   Limited driving show th tyres to be laughable - embarrassing one wheel peels and tyre squeeling - arthritic Tyre squealing at 10-15 mph is all the go hence 5 new hoops - the "newest " one on there is 9 years old and not the right size so not worth saving it.   To manys disappointment  I didnt go with whitewalls and due to the loss of a hubcap I'm painting  the wheels plain black for now and going for the "Le Marginal " look ala @Bren  (while I agonize over a £130 hub cap or  spending not much more per wheel for alloys)  -i know, I know I got over spray all over that perfectly good tyre!

20220708_115628.jpg

20220708_115635.jpg

20220707_082734.jpg

20220708_195825.jpg