Pre-'80s charity thing. The Distinguished Gentleman's Drive

motorpunk

Wasn't quite sure where to put this, so I'll post it here and see what happens...

I'm organising the Worcester event for the 2021 Distinguished Gentleman's Drive (DGD). This is a global charity organisation that raises money for men's mental health causes by means of regional drives. The strapline is 'drive dapper' which sums it up nicely. It's a mix of looking smart and enjoying a drive in a pre-1980 car (or one that looks like one, at least). You might have seen the Distinguished Gentleman's Ride, a very similar event for motorbikes (which I've participated in), it's the same people behind it. They're raised something like $40million over the years .. and it's bloody good fun. 

It's on Sunday 26th September; we have use of the Morgan Motor Company visitor centre (the swanky new one) where we'll start and finish what will be a motoring mooch of about 77 miles around the hills and lanes west of Worcester. There are similar events at other cities around the UK, and globally.  The Worcester event will have the mayor, some z-list motoring hacks, some people filming it, decent coffee and cake and (as it stands) an eclectic mix of classic cars from a Mini Midas to Datsun 240Z to Merc SL and other stuff. Plus the Morgan site is exclusively ours that day - and the event is not open to the public. 

It might not be every shiter's cup of tea, but I'm hoping some of you might want to sign up (it's free) and see what it's all about. I'll be the chap with the wonky 'tache in my yellow Fiat 500. 

All the info is here - https://www.gentlemansdrive.com/drives/england/worcester or drop me a DM if you're interested. 

26267144e85c_m.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
10 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

No chance. Mine might have been designed / launched in 1974, but wasn't built / registered until 1988.

That’s ok, actually, if it’s only the plate that gives it away. As long as the car is of a style present pre-‘80s then it qualifies. Drop me a DM if you’d like more details. Cheers.

Funny..cos I was thinking on a similar idea yesterday..Cars and Threads..I used to deal in vintage clothing and I still have the perchant for an oddball outfit....but my idea was to raise awareness of CBD-THC treatment for epilepsy and Parkinsons...and it will have to be in Scotland. Once I get a Jag or a Fiat 500D over from NZ..might give it a go ..somewhere...like in Stirling...and ..the damn suit collection is all stashed in the Rheinland..so big job in garage and wardrobe design on hand...

Back in 2009..the local Whanganui Museum in NZ asked me for an historical idea...so I pitched a vintage bike rally..and everybody had to dress the part..and then we cycled round town..

Me on the Raleigh 20 (made in NZ) in the 1960s claret polyster suit..which i still have..and it still fits

BIKE RALEIGH 006.jpg

BIKE RALEIGH 007.jpg

BIKE RALEIGH 026.jpg

BIKE RALEIGH 025.jpg

BIKE RALEIGH 009.jpg

• 2 weeks later...
On 20/09/2021 at 15:18, St.Jude said:

One day I'll do this when I have a qualifying car! 

Good luck with this, a very noble cause - and if you're not dressed as Swiss Toni I'll be most displeased.

Thanks - that lovely Lada of yours qualifies and would be a great 'cat' to put amongst the 'pigeons'. There's a Skoda Estelle coming... (PM me if you fancy coming, I'm pretty easy about the rules....)

3 minutes ago, motorpunk said:

Thanks - that lovely Lada of yours qualifies and would be a great 'cat' to put amongst the 'pigeons'. There's a Skoda Estelle coming... (PM me if you fancy coming, I'm pretty easy about the rules....)

Would love to, but it's missing a fair bit of bodywork and actually doesn't move. Once it's finished, or near done, i'll let you know - as I'm sure this is the sort of thing that'll go on for years!

Best of luck with it!