Cheap tools you love

Dippy

Fake dremel. Love it.

Also, despite having a 300 piece Halfrauds Advanced toolkit, plus extra breaker bars and all manner of other shit, I find myself using a cheap £50 (if that much) Stanley toolkit, because it lives in my frunk and it's always handy.

Ryobi 400nm impact driver. And because I bought that, I bought all the other gear 🤣

For non-car gear, the Ryobi router is amazing. For doing stuff like skirting boards and making a pet cage.

Aldi corded angle grinder, compressor and generator.

Set of 20 (ish) screwdrivers of various sizes and lengths. Was cheap, but works perfectly.

As mentioned above, Irwins. Absolute lifesavers (I have both sets). But I'm not sure they're in the "cheap tools" category

I'm now off to buy one of those magnet / mirror things. You're absolutely right. Would save loads of my life.

7 hours ago, sierraman said:

I really rate US Pro, ok it’s not Snap on quality but good enough. 

Also known as Bergen. 

For little-used items and things where it doesn’t matter who made a tool (magnetic trays, mirrors on a telescopic stick, etc.) you can’t really go wrong with Bergen/US Pro. Their sockets and ratchets are pretty good for the money too - close to big brand toughness/manufacturing tolerances for a tiny fraction of Snap-On/Mac/Facom prices, in my experience.

On 23/08/2021 at 20:01, Schaefft said:

Dremel 3000, perfect for cutting bolts and other stuff, order the Dremel steel cutting discs and some cheapo wire wheels for rust removal and grinding. It's literally used constantly.

Also Dremel gas powered soldering iron. No annoying wires and also works as mini torch to heat up seized bolts.

I've got the versatip gas iron too! Don't get on with it for soldering although I imagine I'm not letting it warm up enough but it's invaluable for heatshrink shrinking! I usually use it just for that... 

On 8/24/2021 at 1:51 PM, Bren said:

20210804_131406.thumb.jpg.a11994118e5c77698f2df5f6caecfaf8.jpg

These - sealey. For those springy hose clips - I paid about £15 for two pairs. So good you will never fuck about with mole grips or water pump pliers again.

Yes, these! Exactly what I thought of when I saw this thread. Bought a set of two shitty Silverline ones off Ebay for a tenner the other day. Only used once and wish I'd got them years ago!

This little rechargeable worklight.

IMG_20181229_222606.thumb.jpg.ee27ce65558081ba7880b7d457aed34e.jpg

One end is magnetic, if recharges via a USB connector and at full power kicks out at least as much light as the 60W mains lead light.  Battery needs recharging once every couple of months.  Was a fiver on eBay.

I've had a bunch of others over the last few years but this one has become the one I automatically grab for 95% of jobs.

On 8/25/2021 at 9:30 PM, Jamie said:

Cant really fault Macallister stuff from Screwfix, for the money- weve got a lawnmower, angle grinder and a wet vacuum ive had for well over 3 years now and havent put a foot wrong, and were all around £50 a pop. 

They seem fine for the DIY user. I imagine they wouldn't last a week on a building site being used all the time, but for something like a wet vac at home - that you're going to use, what, once a month? - they're fine.

17 hours ago, N19 said:

They seem fine for the DIY user. I imagine they wouldn't last a week on a building site being used all the time, but for something like a wet vac at home - that you're going to use, what, once a month? - they're fine.

I have a Titan wet vac from Screwfix. It has been invaluable although not used a great deal.

This is my cheapest cheap tool.  Bought in 1983 - I say bought, it was free with some paint brushes and claimed to be a 'supertool'.  I wondered what use it was but have found thousands of opportunities to use it, even searching for an hour for it a few days ago.

supertool.png

On 8/24/2021 at 8:45 PM, Nyphur said:

Another vote for these, and another person who found it so good I bought a second.

One lives in the boot of the car for emergency repair duties (would easily fit in glovebox/seat back mind), and another in the house for "I can't be bothered to get the right tool from the garage, I'll make do with whatever I can use from this kit" duties.

If the Aldi ones are NLA the very similar sets on Ebay are well worth the money. https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/353595547286?hash=item5253efde96:g:HO8AAOSwfblhARH2

I bought a set a few years back and it's come in handy no end of times since.  I haven't abused it as such but the ratchet isn't made of chocolate.

2 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

I was in Aldi last night and saw this useful set of punches for £5.99. Haven’t used them yet but I’ve borrowed the ones from work loads of times for jobs on the cars, hopefully these will be just as handy.

BCC981D1-F859-44B7-9681-436C33248F22.jpeg

I’ve got a very similar set of punches to these, branded as Stanley. Every single blow with a hammer results in massive flakes of yellow paint shattering off them. The exposed areas then rust faster than a Ka in the tide, unless liberally coated in WD40 or somesuch. Which makes them slippery to hold - not brilliant. Plus the thinner pointed ones bend easily too, if you don’t hit the fat end exactly square on with your hammer.

I suspect the Aldi equivalents will be superior in every way. Any tool that results in you having to needlessly clean up after you’re done is just annoying.

In fact Aldi send me their offer emails, meaning next time their set is going to appear in the middle aisle of dreams  I’ll buy some and bin off the Stanley ones.

TL;DR - don’t buy the Stanley equivalent of these punches, as they’re thunderingly shit.

5 hours ago, Angrydicky said:

I was in Aldi last night and saw this useful set of punches for £5.99. Haven’t used them yet but I’ve borrowed the ones from work loads of times for jobs on the cars, hopefully these will be just as handy.

BCC981D1-F859-44B7-9681-436C33248F22.jpeg

I have a similar set but red so probably from Aldi, my son needed some so I bought them when I saw them there, wherever 'there' was.

They seem to be OK, don't shed paint and none have bent.

• 1 year later...

Tools you love, getting one Cheepz....

As an engineer, by training, and Chod Botherer by inclination >> I love tools!

My Digi caliper croaked so I bid on a cheappo 150mm s/steel replacement ✔️

I have a 0-25mm Chink mic... Around £7

Today I succumbed to the British Disease (inches 🧐) 🤣🤣.....

It 'looks' sweet and is a Top Drawer precison tool 😎

IMG_20221119_121119.jpg

Low Balled him.... £7.40 delivered

*No 'C-spanner' but I have one in the chinkkie case 😉

On 8/26/2021 at 6:30 AM, Jamie said:

Cant really fault Macallister stuff from Screwfix, for the money- weve got a lawnmower, angle grinder and a wet vacuum ive had for well over 3 years now and havent put a foot wrong, and were all around £50 a pop. 

No doubt fine for occasional use though I now won’t but any of there stuff for two reasons. Vibes. Am sensitive to this mainly after loosing most of the sensation in two fingers after chopping the shit out of them with a (lack of) skill saw a few years back. Years on the tools has made me realise white finger is most likely a future thing for me. Secondly I’ve had the trigger jam on two sds drills whilst using them in relentless dugga dugga mode resulting in the fuckers spinning round and jarring my wrist. Old tight arse boss was pissed when I smashed the shit out of it with a club hammer then gave it to the scrap man as he usually takes them back to screwfix when the jobs done. His profit saving scheme backfired again when I procured his makita corded grinder after having enough of the Mac jarring my bones three days into raking out mortar and polishing up brickwork. 
For sustained use you deserve better.