Those 'quote' stickers from the 70's and 80's

DavidB

On 11/8/2021 at 2:34 AM, DavidB said:

When I was in Thailand, this was a popular sticker.

Al_Pacino_Thailand_Serpico.jpg.76af4761f9d622417abb89dedf3ef8df.jpg

I kept asking 'why does everyone have stickers of that fellow from the Bee Gees'. This is Al Pacino from Serpico, who fought police corruption, there's a bit of police corruption over there.

Also this one, not sure what it means, but I bought a few:

Find B90 Thailand Symbol Rescue Decal Sticker 1set in BANGKOK, TH, for US  $3.99

Meanwhile, in Bangkok: Weird Vehicle Stickers – Greg to Differ

Also this one, which was just as popular!

Meanwhile, in Bangkok: Weird Vehicle Stickers – Greg to Differ

https://www.gregtodiffer.com/meanwhile-in-bangkok-weird-vehicle-stickers/

I was going to explain a few of these but workload has made me forgotten to, sorry.

Serpico was a popular movie back in the day and yes it resonates pretty well during the tumultuous 70's, although these day I doubt most who have them on would know what it's from or who he is anyway.

The second sticker is usually found on emergency vehicle. Our healthcare system is unique in that a lot of ambulances operating on the road attending to accidents and other emergency are not the usual employed workers you'd expect but a group volunteers usually runs by charity organisation. This means there's very little typical regulation in place and the vehicle they use are provided by the volunteered drivers themselves and not fleet run by hospital or whatever.  This means a lot of driver will modify their emergency vehicle to make it more personalised. This is where the sticker originated. Of course we have typical ambulances too, but those are rarer and respond only to medical emergency, heart attack and such. Not accidents.

The woman removing panties? Not a clue.

• 2 months later...

I once saw a car with a sun-strip labelled 'me', on the driver's side and 'me bitch' on the passenger's.  Unfortunately, on the occasion I was present, 'me bitch' was the ten year old boy sitting in the passenger seat.  People don't think these things through.  

6 minutes ago, Missy Charm said:

I once saw a car with a sun-strip labelled 'me', on the driver's side and 'me bitch' on the passenger's.  Unfortunately, on the occasion I was present, 'me bitch' was the ten year old boy sitting in the passenger seat.  People don't think these things through.  

The Del and Heather stickers from the van in OFAH spring to mind.

In the mid 1990s as a new driver I procured one of those yellow diamond signs on a suction cup. It had a diagram of the front of an angular looking car and the caption:

"Don't f**k up

BACK UP!" 

It did the trick as I got tailgate less in my '79 Mini. B)

I also remember buying a Kenny from South Park in 1998, a bit like the Garfields from a few years earlier. 

12 hours ago, Missy Charm said:

Once seen in Chelmsford: 'nothing of any value left in this vehicle'.  Fairly ordinary, but said vehicle was a private ambulance!

Presumably they got fed up of smack-heads breaking in to it looking for drugs, or things to sell to buy drugs. The ones you see that are soberly liveried and sans light bars are usually used for ferrying bodies between the morgue and the funeral home etc...

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a wodge of stickers pronouncing "My other car's a Skoda". This was meant to be ironically mimicking the "My other car's a Ferrari" stickers that were often seen at the time. At the time I was buying up virtually every rear-engined Skoda I came across (those were the days) with a view to saving them.  I thought it would be ironic/hilarious* to stick one on every car as it would be true. I stuck one on my Rapid, decided it just looked naff, and never used the rest. I think they are still in the loft somewhere.