Those 'quote' stickers from the 70's and 80's

DavidB

1 hour ago, warch said:

I'm sure I once read a (possibly tongue in cheek) guide to car buying based on the content and origin of the stickers on the back.

So stickers saying things like Whipsnade Zoo or Alton Towers= kids, so the interior will be stickier than the confectionary cabinet at Greggs or ones saying National Trust or Longbridge  Slimbridge Wetlands Centre= old gits, so not thrashed. 

Apparently the ones to avoid were Caravan Club= because engine and clutch wear and anything with boy racer/psychopath associations e.g. 'I brake for nobody' or 'Sorry officer I thought you wanted to race'.

And I'm guessing "A dog is for life, not just for Christmas" is likely to have lots of hidden hairs, even if on the surface, it's been cleaned.

What does it say about the "Capital Radio" (or worse, Heart) stickers?

9 minutes ago, TheOtherStu said:

And I'm guessing "A dog is for life, not just for Christmas" is likely to have lots of hidden hairs, even if on the surface, it's been cleaned.

What does it say about the "Capital Radio" (or worse, Heart) stickers?

That’s true.

Capital or Heart probably means ex mini cab 

1 hour ago, TheOtherStu said:

... I'm guessing "A dog is for life, not just for Christmas" is likely to have lots of hidden hairs, ...

If my experience of a 1981 280CE was anything to go by, there's likely to be a lot more than just hidden hairs. We're talking fleas, and quite likely traces of poo.

10 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

If my experience of a 1981 280CE was anything to go by, there's likely to be a lot more than just hidden hairs. We're talking fleas, and quite likely traces of poo.

I once bought a car that had been used by a dog sitter / walker. It was very cheap, which is just as well as it was so rancid I had to change the entire interior. Luckily i had an identical car for spares. 

Christ, those things were everywhere once. Ones that stick in my memory

• My other car's a Porsche (I don't think I ever saw another make in this one)
  • My Bentley is in for a service today.
  • Rugby is a game played by men with odd shaped balls.
  • Passion wagon. Don't laugh, your daughter may be inside.
  • Alarmed? You will be if you touch my car.
  • You toucha my car I smasha your face. (I assume this was reworded to avoid problems with Joe Dolce*)
  • Don't laugh It's paid for

That's seven without trying. Something must work.

* Incidentally, ever heard Jasper Carrott talking about being in a pavement cafe Hong Kong with his manager and Joe Dolce? It is very funny.

On 8/23/2021 at 8:07 PM, warch said:

Not car stickers but my kids are currently into the latest rehash of the cartoon Garfield. In a vain attempt to appear relevant I told them about those soft toy Garfields with the suction cups on the feet which everyone used to have in the back window of their car.

I walked up to my car one morning keys in hand to find glass every where and my sterio and all tapes missing from the car,    I was even more pissed off to find not only had they stolen my tunes but the towrags had also taken my stuck on you garfield,   I still occasionally look for one on eBay to replace it, 

yes I know sad.😁

Seen a few variations on the "My other car's a ..." theme:

• My other car's a heap of shite too (seen on a Lada in the 90s)
  • This is my other car (on a Porsche)

Back when I had a "real" Mini I got one made up which said "16 Valve - 8 in engine, 4 in the tyres & the rest in the radio" - a bit of a mouthful but I though it was terribly amusing.

"100% free of BMW parts" was also popular when the Bini came out, had that across the back screen of mine and parked it outside the BMW dealer while I went for a test drive in the Bini when it came out - fortunately the salesman found it funny.

On 8/27/2021 at 1:50 PM, garbaldy said:

I walked up to my car one morning keys in hand to find glass every where and my sterio and all tapes missing from the car,    I was even more pissed off to find not only had they stolen my tunes but the towrags had also taken my stuck on you garfield,   I still occasionally look for one on eBay to replace it, 

yes I know sad.😁

Here you go saddo 😀

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Garfield-On-Board-Plush-Toy-Dakin-Stuck-On-You-With-Tag-Vintage-Jim-Davis-/255120552270?mkcid=16&mkevt=1&_trksid=p2349624.m46890.l49286&mkrid=710-127635-2958-0

2 hours ago, New POD said:

I bought a metro Turbo with a Turbo Sticker across the rear window. 

I removed it but it took me 4 weeks to finally remove the residue of glue. 

I once bought a Mk2 Capri 2.0S with one of those rear window stickers saying “ CAPRI” but whoever stuck it on must have done it sitting in the boot with the tailgate open. It would have looked the right way up then !

I left it on there and it was interesting how many people didn’t notice it was  upside down until it was pointed out to them. Although I saw it a few days after I sold it and it had gone.

• 2 months later...

When I was in Thailand, this was a popular sticker.

Al_Pacino_Thailand_Serpico.jpg.76af4761f9d622417abb89dedf3ef8df.jpg

I kept asking 'why does everyone have stickers of that fellow from the Bee Gees'. This is Al Pacino from Serpico, who fought police corruption, there's a bit of police corruption over there.

Also this one, not sure what it means, but I bought a few:

Find B90 Thailand Symbol Rescue Decal Sticker 1set in BANGKOK, TH, for US  $3.99

Meanwhile, in Bangkok: Weird Vehicle Stickers – Greg to Differ

Also this one, which was just as popular!

Meanwhile, in Bangkok: Weird Vehicle Stickers – Greg to Differ

https://www.gregtodiffer.com/meanwhile-in-bangkok-weird-vehicle-stickers/