Those 'quote' stickers from the 70's and 80's

DavidB

7 hours ago, Noel Tidybeard said:

there was one with a nun and (iirc) a maurice minor with Sister Mary* and God/Our Lord/Jesus*

*can't remember exact names

I think this one was by Dave Allen. It would seem that windscreen stickers where comedy gold in the '70's.

Incidently Maurice's father was not happy about his sons appearance in that sketch.

1 hour ago, FakeConcern said:

I didn't have any of the bought stickers in the rear window of my Mini. However I did modify a Capital Radio sticker to read Crapital Radio.

I still have a Crapital Radio 194 sticker in the CX, but you can't see it because of the plastic louvres over the rear windscreen....

31 minutes ago, MrDuke said:

I'm slightly disappointed at the number of random blandmobiles with 'Fat Willy's' stickers in the back window. I always thought of them as being a cult generational marker. 😢

You've reminded me that the XR3i I bought in 91 had a Fat Willy's sticker in the back when i got it

'Oakley - Thermonuclear Protection' sticker in the back window of my mk1 Golf in 1992. 

'It's rude to stare' - large vinyl sticker from local motorfactors in my Mk1 Renault 5 in 1995. 

'Do you sell wafers?' large custom-made vinyl sticker (no recollection of where I had it made though) in my mk1 Jetta in 1997. My girlfriend at the time hated travelling in the Jetta as it looked 'like a beige Skoda' apparently. I think she was probably more hung up on my choice of window dressing! 

Many years ago, a friend messed up and parked his Series 3 Land Rover firmly in the back of a toyota corolla at traffic lights. The toyota transferred a bit of paint to his bumper whilst simultaneously folding up comprehensively and it was written off. My friend had a sticker made for his Land Rover which is still in place. It reads "The car in front is my crumple zone"

I'm sure I once read a (possibly tongue in cheek) guide to car buying based on the content and origin of the stickers on the back.

So stickers saying things like Whipsnade Zoo or Alton Towers= kids, so the interior will be stickier than the confectionary cabinet at Greggs or ones saying National Trust or Longbridge  Slimbridge Wetlands Centre= old gits, so not thrashed. 

Apparently the ones to avoid were Caravan Club= because engine and clutch wear and anything with boy racer/psychopath associations e.g. 'I brake for nobody' or 'Sorry officer I thought you wanted to race'.