Dyslexic Viking's Audi 80 B2 and more.

Dyslexic Viking

After taking a break from the carburetor nightmare. I started a bit on this again. Want to use the new Weber carburettor I have so have now bought this.

20211213_123851.thumb.jpg.0695a372894d32e75d721898708ceaee.jpg

And of course there are some challenges. It does not fit my carburetor but I knew that. It turns out that the carburetor is in the wrong location on this and must be turned  have a possible solution to that. And I'm having trouble getting it attached to the engine. So everything as usual unfortunately.

So then I have worked a lot with the new intake manifold and this fits very poorly so after a lot of grinding and drilling I got it to fit a little so then I could get tested something important does this and the new carburetor clear of the bonnet?

20211221_140052.thumb.jpg.47ec6349e2d4a1fdf89ef54143984162.jpg20211221_135928.thumb.jpg.2f5dddb6627e055ac61b8bf864fd2882.jpg20211221_140003.thumb.jpg.26cb30ddb50995250bec49735fee64cf.jpg

And of course it does not. Is about 2 cm too high so I now give up to get the new Weber carburetor to fit.

So what now? I do not know but it seems I have to find a 1 barrel carburetor that can fit the original intake manifold and air filter. There is a Pierburg 1B carburetor similar to the one that was on the car that was on some VW that had a manual choke but it is like a unicorn only knows about one for sale in the UK and he will not ship out of the country. The other possibility is the good suggestion from Fumbler  that maybe a Weber 34 TLP carburetor can fit something I need to look at more.

I read about and look at carburetors now and Weber 34 TLP seems to be difficult to get hold of but Weber 34 ICH is very easy to get hold of and is 1 barrel carburetor so there is a good chance that it will fit the original intake manifold and then there is the height. But if anyone has knowledge of this carburetor then feel free to share what you can.

15290.0371.jpg

15 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I read about and look at carburetors now and Weber 34 TLP seems to be difficult to get hold of but Weber 34 ICH is very easy to get hold of and is 1 barrel carburetor so there is a good chance that it will fit the original intake manifold and then there is the height. But if anyone has knowledge of this carburetor then feel free to share what you can.

15290.0371.jpg

The base of the TLP has weirdly-spaced holes for the mounting bolts, meaning anything other than that type of carburettor won't fit to it.

ITALIAN CARS CLUB • Afficher le sujet - Crise de la quarantaine, j'achete  une P...

Just now, Dyslexic Viking said:

Weber 34 ICH also seems to have something like that?

Image 8 - New genuine Weber  34ICH carburettor kit  VW Golf Jetta 1.3 1980-84 1272cc

You can try if you think you've got a chance. If it fits, the only issues you'll have are that it's off-centre and you may need to modify the intake. Pretty meanial things considering you'll then have a functioning car at the end of it.

6 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

You can try if you think you've got a chance. If it fits, the only issues you'll have are that it's off-centre and you may need to modify the intake. Pretty meanial things considering you'll then have a functioning car at the end of it.

Everything has so far been a challenge, so I should probably manage this as well. Is the height of the carburetor I am most afraid of. But I have to measure the carburetor attachment on the intake and see if there is hope first.

Then a carburetor is on its way from the UK, hoping it will solve the problems but does not have high hopes. But got put on the old intake manifold with new gasket today. Took then and replaced the top cover gasket as had some oil leaks from this and the engine looks good on the inside.

20211228_120842.thumb.jpg.aa2166ff9ea621814cc7d749aec04e28.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Then I got another carburetor. And yet another Pierburg 1b this has in fact previously been converted to manual choke and the manual choke part of this is different from the others I have seen. This should also have been a working carburetor when it was taken off the car.

20220113_104310.thumb.jpg.2f6fe877f393e28e5fa55e32c3c1001d.jpg

20220113_104316.thumb.jpg.a6bbb28a7c75a677fd0d790e7628a248.jpg

But this carburetor came from a 1.5 Jetta so I had to move over jets from the old one which on these involves splitting the carburetor.

20220113_113042.thumb.jpg.17b51e6426997b8917630bf8d7b6dba2.jpg'

After that I mount it on the engine but was too excited so forgot picture. And since it is hot today as much as 5 degrees, I could test if the engine now works. And it did, started quickly and went fine at idle for a while.

20220113_123548.thumb.jpg.209ca42cfc0f32a5fedc7507ff382114.jpg

After it had been idling for a while without a choke, I tried to accelerate the engine and after that the engine will not run properly, coughs and runs at low speed and does not get better. Do not know what this is and are struggling to figure out what could be causing this.

The other thing I find a little strange is the part of the choke that is supposed to regulate the engine speed. Struggling to be able to explain this but when it is like the picture below to then use the choke then I have to press the accelerator pedal a bit to be able to make the choke close completely. So it seems like something here may not be quite right but I'm terrified of touching this.

20220113_124750.thumb.jpg.4ddf68959e307b42488963a6e2848f99.jpg

Also notice in the picture above now that I forgot the vacuum ports to choke possible this affects things I am an idiot.

Start with the basics and build from there. Logically think things through rather than jumping to conclusions. Hence my advise ie to get hold of one of these and read. It covers the 1b1 and updates done to the 1b3.

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/362422164877?epid=86407881&hash=item54620b5d8d:g:SmwAAOSwP65bgmBO

I expect a PDF can be found somewhere. if you have vpn ;-)

Looking at the photo you have no vacuum at the pulldown (black thing) Have you connected all the vacuum pipes correctly and the electrics? If I remember correctly there is an accelerator pump(?) the other side of the carb (from that picture) that needs 12 volts and is wired to some temp switches in the water system. On mine the switches were in the water feed to the auto choke. 

Also with carbs everything needs to be spotless bit of grit will block a jet! and no air leaks.  Check the basics first!!!

I've worked a little more on the car now. And has connected the vacuum ports to the choke. And I struggle a lot with explaining all this but the engine runs a little better and can increase the speed without problems now but the engine can cough occasionally.

But what I think I have to do is wait a bit until things thaw more outside so I can drive the car out of the garage and it gets warmer. And if there are too many problems with this, I will probably have to find someone who can help as this can quickly become too complicated for me. Have a manual for these carburetors but it does not help much as everything is made too complicated to understand.

So I just have to wait a bit before I do anything more.