Dyslexic Viking's Audi 80 B2 and more.

Dyslexic Viking

The Weber carburetor is a Weber 32/34 DMTL. I also think it is the right thing to do to convert it to Weber carburetor as the Pierburg carburetors and especially the automatic choke versions are not so good. The Pierburg with manual choke seems to be better but the best thing would be to switch to a brand new and better carburetor. Just a shame it became so difficult to do so

Looking at it, should the new carb not clear the bonnet, a Weber 34TLP will bolt straight onto the manifold without and spacers. It might be a better solution in the long run. I'm looking for a 32/34 DMTL but there's slim pickings on Fleabay.

Thank you for making me aware of that Weber carburetor I did not know existed and I then found this kit after a quick search

https://fastroadcars.co.uk/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=599

So there is actually a kit to directly replace the pierburg 1B carburetor is frustrating that I did not know about it before. But it seems that it is not available anymore so had not helped much.

I bought my Wber carburetor from this company https://classiccarbs.co.uk/ But those carburetors are expensive new unfortunately.

But I tried today and see if the carburetor adapter would work at height. It will raise the air filter about 45 mm then tested with a 45 mm thick piece of wood.

20211001_100642.thumb.jpg.b31972e38479a5dcd824ac4a8e70d262.jpg

And it clearly does not work. So then the only option is to change the intake manifold to get Weber carburetor on this.

20211001_100708.thumb.jpg.572a47bbb957a7756b0f1ef46a779d1e.jpg

So I have to think a little more a new Weber intake manifold is only available for the larger Weber carburetors but can probably make it work with the one I have the only thing is that it is a bit expensive. Used original Audi / VW manifold that the kit would bolt to is impossible to find but is still waiting for an answer from a scrapyard that had an 84 Audi 80 if it had the right manifold.

I'd suggest finding a 34TLP on eBay. I'm fairly sure there's a NOS one in Germany for sale for €modest. You might want to open the Pierburg and Weber up to make sure the jets are the same size too. If you want the Weber 32/34 to fit you're going to want the two barrel manifold from a sportier VW and a new air cleaner unfortunately.

I also looked a bit at the cooling sensor today when I received a 1/8 NBT transition in the mail today. This would raise the sensor a bit so I could use the standard sensor placement for the new gauge. But it is too tight in the hole to work and not even all the world's Vaseline and force would get it into that hole.

20211001_101655.thumb.jpg.543168b42d20bc9fa749667a0c45be39.jpg

So then plan b is this below is not ideal but I will at least get some measurement of the coolant temprature.

20211001_101753.thumb.jpg.ed1e83843f71f888d22b1c7be2356373.jpg

3 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

I'd suggest finding a 34TLP on eBay. I'm fairly sure there's a NOS one in Germany for sale for €modest. You might want to open the Pierburg and Weber up to make sure the jets are the same size too. If you want the Weber 32/34 to fit you're going to want the two barrel manifold from a sportier VW and a new air cleaner unfortunately.

I'll look for that carburetor. And the Weber carburetor I have came in a kit for this car and should be jeted correctly and is made to use the original air filter as well.

1 minute ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I'll look for that carburetor. And the Weber carburetor I have came in a kit for this car and should be jeted correctly and is made to use the original air filter as well.

If it can fit that's brilliant. Less hassle trying to squeeze air cleaners on etc.
This is what I was thinking of, but my god it's expensive!

15 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

If it can fit that's brilliant. Less hassle trying to squeeze air cleaners on etc.
This is what I was thinking of, but my god it's expensive!

Yes that it is really expensive and that is almost the price of a new Weber intake. If I were to go for a 34 TLP carburetor then I would try to find a cheaper used one first, if this is possible to test on the car. Before I buy something so expensive as I do not want to waste even more money on this.

48 minutes ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

There must be someone out there breaking a 205 or 309 for spares...

There are but ones with single barrel Weber models installed are a little hard to find unfortunately.

Started today on other things with the car. First with the fuel hoses under the tank they are old and would replace them with new ones. It did not work as the old hoses are very stuck on the petrol pipes which are made of fragile plastic so can not use too much force so gave it up will have to come up with a plan later.

Then I started with the cooling system. It must be completely overhauled as all parts are original to the car and tired and I want reliability and it runs to hot now. The radiator on this is only on the 1.6 carburetor model and no longer exists new so I have to convert it to the larger radiator which is still possible to buy  new. Then it must also get a coolant expansion tank as this is necessary with the new radiator. Old and new radiator below.

20211002_141359.thumb.jpg.0dc032570e2df1147fa813f686307ee9.jpg

And the new radiator fit right in with a little modification of the fasteners at the bottom. But I need a new fan cover as the old one is too small so I have to wait with the fasteners at the top until I get one.

20211002_141554.thumb.jpg.720f4e3a944ba0812cd397e36cd093f2.jpg

I also had the water pump removed and will replace it with a new one and a new thermostat in the next few days. And while I was making dinner, it was a good idea to test the thermostat and it would open. The only thing I'm unsure of is that I would think that it would also move at the bottom, ie the part that is covered with a spoon.

20211002_173411.thumb.jpg.3d57b58436dfb0c7c1e92bf39c301533.jpg

48 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Looking for a larger fan cover and came across one on ebay from an Audi 5000 and have never seen this before. It has 2 fans but only one motorized and it drives the other with a belt. This must be unusual?

Image 11 - Radiator Fan Motor Only Fits 80-81 84 AUDI 5000  OEM tested 55170

Image 1 - Radiator Fan Motor Only Fits 80-81 84 AUDI 5000  OEM tested 55170

Cheap double drive, saving weight of an extra motor and power drain.

8 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/284443935653?hash=item423a2e03a5%3Ag%3A8GYAAOSwWMNhOKHF&LH_ItemCondition=1500|3000|2500

What's the venturi diameter on the Pierburg you want to replace? This might be the ticket if it's the same.

Do not know must have measured. I'm a little unsure if something like this would have been the right thing to do as I'm not sure how much fabrication it will require to work if it will work with orginal air filter and such. And then there is the setup of carburetors and jets. I'm not experienced enough to dare to try something like that. But thanks for sharing it.

After thinking a bit about this, I think the safest thing with a carburetor is either to make the Weber carburettor work or get a Pierburg with manual choke. As I am not experienced enough to rebuild/convert anything else to work on this car. 

41 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Do not know must have measured. I'm a little unsure if something like this would have been the right thing to do as I'm not sure how much fabrication it will require to work if it will work with orginal air filter and such. And then there is the setup of carburetors and jets. I'm not experienced enough to dare to try something like that. But thanks for sharing it.

After thinking a bit about this, I think the safest thing with a carburetor is either to make the Weber carburettor work or get a Pierburg with manual choke. As I am not experienced enough to rebuild/convert anything else to work on this car. 

The bolt patterns are the same as the Pierburg carburettors which is why I posted the listing. No conversion is needed from what I can tell. Depending on the engine displacement, I'm fairly sure the one you have has a 32mm bore venturi. Because of how similar they are, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to screw the jets from the Pierburg straight into the Weber- it shouldn't be too hard to do.

9 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

The bolt patterns are the same as the Pierburg carburettors which is why I posted the listing. No conversion is needed from what I can tell. Depending on the engine displacement, I'm fairly sure the one you have has a 32mm bore venturi. Because of how similar they are, I'm fairly certain you'll be able to screw the jets from the Pierburg straight into the Weber- it shouldn't be too hard to do.

I understand and is probably fully possible it can work. I'm just a little skeptical, as everything that has to do with carburetors and this car becomes a challenge. But I am very glad that you take the time to help with solutions to this.

I found this after a bit of searching. About converting the carburetor I have to manual choke so this is also possible to do.

https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/169048-manual-choke-modification-on-a-pierburg-1b3/

2 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

I understand and is probably fully possible it can work. I'm just a little skeptical, as everything that has to do with carburetors and this car becomes a challenge. But I am very glad that you take the time to help with solutions to this.

I found this after a bit of searching. About converting the carburetor I have to manual choke so this is also possible to do.

https://www.clubpolo.co.uk/topic/169048-manual-choke-modification-on-a-pierburg-1b3/

That would probably work quite well for you. Another thing to note with the Weber carb is that it is essentially a bolt-on replacement without needing to modify the intake manifold. It's also got a manual choke and is new. See what you think- you might find it better to try and keep the one currently installed running alright until the correct mnifold comes up for sale.

13 minutes ago, Fumbler said:

That would probably work quite well for you. Another thing to note with the Weber carb is that it is essentially a bolt-on replacement without needing to modify the intake manifold. It's also got a manual choke and is new. See what you think- you might find it better to try and keep the one currently installed running alright until the correct mnifold comes up for sale.

Have looked a little more at that Weber and I had had to make some changes with the throttle linkage and the petrol supply is on the wrong side so would be a bit of work. And that's what I've been thinking about a bit too. It is a NOS Pierburg 1B with manual choke for sale but is expensive. So I think maybe try and just find a cheap one with the choke parts I need. Or just have to wait a bit as I have plenty of time as the car has gone into winter storage now.

I realized that I have to make the upper mounts for the new radiator myself. So got started with this today and this will be like in a developing country has limited with resources and tools so to have to make the mounts of what ever I can find. So this will not be pretty but functional.

First I made the piece of metal that will be the backbone of the mount. And since I'm an idiot I forgot picture. Then I needed some solid rubber for the mount and a new bushing from a Suzuki Grand Vitara did the trick.

20211006_133127.thumb.jpg.da2594f7a5e946ae46af13cc130f6d71.jpg

After I cut the bushing in to 2 small squares that I drilled holes in, to a bolt. So i temporarily  put the mount together this will be good and got the radiator level as well.

20211006_140246.thumb.jpg.4e90fc4c8b4d5238aa3d6d563ed6c2bd.jpg

Then it was just and apply the metal part black paint and let it dry so I can put it together for good.

20211006_142236.thumb.jpg.c5710ffef59cd730f78aa17a368a90e6.jpg

And I also got to install the new water pump with the thermostat today. Did some research as I wanted a pump with a metal impeller and found one from a German brand so chose this one.

20211006_142250.thumb.jpg.b9e05abf44ee5a9c4f4324571c40a9f4.jpg

The radiator is now bolted in with all the fasteners. So now the next challenges are that the existing fan and shroud do not fit the new radiator and used that may fit is not possible to find. So the solution is a universal fan shroud that I have to adapt and find a fan to it. And the other challenge is the coolant tank need to get this attached to the car without drilling new holes if can avoid it. Have 2 tanks, the one I would like to use will be a real challenge to make a mount for, so just to see how it goes. Gonna start this tomorrow.

20211008_113122.thumb.jpg.e005dbfab9e4414c1beb7e8319687059.jpg

And if anyone is wondering how things are going with the carburetor, something will start to happen soon. Is just a little lack of funds now that slows things down. The motivation is also a bit low now as this became very challenging with the cooling system and the carburetor. But if this goes well, then the 2 biggest challenges are over. So hope it does.

Started today on the mount to the coolant tank and this actually went very smoothly just started at one end and made the mount bit by bit.

Here I worked with the leg that will support the mount. And marked where I was going to cut what was excess and where to drill  the hole for the bolt.

20211009_102546.thumb.jpg.6f0e6f41a7a57a682384d1100ba43b23.jpg

Finished support leg cut and drilled hole in.

20211009_104104.thumb.jpg.960a3cfe23c7b842a1e9db665a70cc36.jpg

And after a while, another bit had come into place

20211009_101034.thumb.jpg.8a1229eedb79cfa3150812555ffaa1a7.jpg

And finally the finished result. Luckily managed to use existing holes in the car to attach this i just had to drill 1 hole in an existing mount an after  then primer was applied to the new hole to avoid rust.

20211009_111507.thumb.jpg.b52cbfde908994253243925a03f28870.jpg

20211009_111502.thumb.jpg.535bed75499d7e0cf4a88f388ebec925.jpg

This is very solid and stable so am happy with this. Then it was to test if this goes clear the bonnet and it does what the picture below shows how much clearance it has to the bonnet.

20211009_111811.thumb.jpg.8425f929b011f243084a214ad2e97e8f.jpg

Then it was just a matter of disassembling everything and applying primer and black paint to the parts so it can be reassembled for good.

Now the coolant tank is permanently attached. And the hoses between the tank and the radiator have now been installed.

20211011_121505.thumb.jpg.fc431fd80cf56e4a541112475037088a.jpg

The small top hose was a challenge to get the hose clamp on the radiator side but managed this in the end.

20211011_121508.thumb.jpg.a7f38dfbc1e3c962c5a2ac54037ac44a.jpg

I'm not very happy with how everything looks but hopefully it grows on me. Also do not know what else I could have done with this so just have to live with it. Now it is just a wait for me to get the last hoses so I can refill the coolant and then it will be exciting how many leaks I get.

And have not found the right top radiator hose bought all 3 types but none fit. So I just have to use the old one. The hoses between the radiator and the engine on these are a bit special as the engine is just taken out of a Golf and turned. Upper cooling hose in the picture below.

20211009_115947.thumb.jpg.fd74573e6c49e4157a8a7f0cfff895d4.jpg

Then I got the last hoses yesterday and as usual they do not quite fit so had to use the old ones. Then I filled it up with coolant and followed excitedly and no leaks! Let it stand until today and still no leaks! So I started it and it is noticeably much better before it got too hot too fast it runs much cooler now. But unfortunately the new temperature sensor does not work and the old one is broken so have to buy another one. The carburettor is also now not in  good shape  I have removed everything to the auto choke and even though I operate the choke flap manually it runs very poorly. so good it is approaching carburetor time. 

So now it's just a matter of getting a temperature sensor that will hopefully work. New fan shroud and fan and another carburetor and then things will start to work out with this car.

20211014_103555.thumb.jpg.784035cfd8be25746f54b8bfc0964710.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

So then something starts to happen here again. Got this today.

20211102_103535.thumb.jpg.2e0b2c69148e42d19306d62e36e5455b.jpg

And after reading and a good deal in it, I am more familiar with these Pierburg carburetors that Audi has. And tomorrow I will hopefully get another Pierburg carburetor this will be a NOS carburetor for an Opel with the necessary choke parts I need. The best thing would probably have been to just use the new carburetor but I'm not intelligent enough to fine tune a carburetor so I just want to use the one I have and move over the choke parts to and hopefully fix the flooding problem it has. More to come later.

Got then the new carburetor on Wednesday. And started on this yesterday and have not written anything more about this as everything is as usual and I am now very tired and in a very bad mood and all motivation is gone. The new problem now is that the Pierburg 1b carburetors are cast differently whether they have a manual or automatic choke. so it is difficult if not impossible to get the choke parts to fit my existing carburetor and the manual choke carburettor has differences that make it very uncertain whether it can be used the main problem is that the return on the manual choke is on the carburettor and on the automatic it is before. However, posting picture of the biggest problem notice the throttle shaft and carburetor housing picture under automatic choke

20211104_152851.thumb.jpg.8df598f728761bc624ee87bee35caf60.jpg

And the picture below is manual choke

20211104_152846.thumb.jpg.ae00626df4bd51c37f350f1a7518990c.jpg

So this makes it difficult to put on the lever that the manual choke needs to control the speed. So when I find some motivation to look at this again I will see if I find any solution but doubt it.

So after several hours of trying today, I give up Pierburg carburetors. There are too many differences between automatic and manual choke carburetors so can not get a working carburetor out of this. So I take a break from this car now but think the plan ahead is to make the Weber carburetor work in one way or another. Is just frustrating all the time and money I have spent on this. I end this with a picture of the mess I have been working on today.

20211105_115042.thumb.jpg.43fc2ddae08cdb4b95b390c9387149a7.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

Then some progress has been made here not with the carburetor but with the fan shroud. After some research, it turns out that the radiator I bought and put in the car is for an Audi 80 B4 so then it was easy to find a fan shroud. Found a used one that was cheap and complete with fan in Estonia. Picture below shows old and new  fan shroud the new used one is the biggest.

20211123_122620.thumb.jpg.f3c3ccd118c3e954aad0690bbd99d99e.jpg

20211123_122627.thumb.jpg.e8a3b60f476e413d2d828b9f185dbfc7.jpg

So after a cleaning I moved over the fan from the old one as the electrical contacts were different and the bolt holes were the same as on the old one so it fit straight on.

20211123_131030.thumb.jpg.ca988773d4435a36f8c5c9319e6b4732.jpg

Then there was the test assembly and this fits perfectly and looks good. Then just take it off and remove some rust at the bottom and it's done.

20211123_131253.thumb.jpg.7447a90cd7cd25d62e8ebc219c09a3ee.jpg