Dyslexic Viking's Audi 80 B2 and more.

Dyslexic Viking

I am now desperate for help as I have major carburetor problems and do not know how to solve it. Weber carburetor kit for my car does not fit as this car should have had Pierburg 2B carburetor but it turns out that it has Pierburg 1B carburetor I do not know why then all the research I have done says that this should have had 2B carburetor. So the problem is attachment to the intake see the picture below with carburetor rubber next to it.

20210903_102717.thumb.jpg.d16ac0aed1e7f16aa68e55212d5004ec.jpg

Carburetor rubber also does not quite fit with Weber adapter plate doe not understand why as it should.

20210903_103959.thumb.jpg.fdf2cc91a1e44210a682f1b872f4e8dc.jpg

So what do I do? Original carburetor is finished. So have to make this happen and work in a way. One possibility is to get a VW Pierburg 2B intake but it is completely impossible to find any. So the next option is Weber intake they have intake for this engine but only for the larger DGV / DGAS carburetors. So my 32/34 DMTL carburetor will not fit possible one could make an adapter but it is risky as this intake costs 280 pounds so there is a lot to risk if it is not possible to make an adapter. Attaches the picture of that intake.

MM0067a.jpg

Another possibility is this abdapter in the picture below but again is intended for the larger carburetors but possible it could work but to connect wires and hoses with this will be difficult I am afraid

99004.550.jpg

99004.550a.jpg

99004.550b-scaled.jpg

So I'm both desperate and angry at the same time had this been an older Volvo I would not have had such idiotic problems. So do not know what to do so really hope that someone can have some solutions or ideas.

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. Is great that the kit is available for Golf with Pierburg 1B but the problem is that the kits and carburetors are set up for certain cars and I have already bought one for this car so must make it work. One option I have is to get an intake of a newer Audi / VW for Pierburg 2E2 carburetor and then buy an adapter for this that fits my Weber carburetor. So after much more searching, I have found a 1984 Audi 80 1.8 in a scrapyard that should have this carburetor. And from what I find, the intake is the same between 1.6 and 1.8. So I have contacted them to hear about the intake on this one.  That is now the only solution I can find.

5 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

Thank you for taking the time to look into this. Is great that the kit is available for Golf with Pierburg 1B but the problem is that the kits and carburetors are set up for certain cars and I have already bought one for this car so must make it work. ...

You could do worse than send an e-mail to Classic Carbs, explaining the problem that you have with making the Weber 32/34 fit. They might have the appropriate part which makes it possible to use the 32/34.

The Weber carburetor I have is jetted and set up for this car. And I have to pay Norwegian tax on what I have bought and I will not get it back. And that together with shipping means that I could rather just keep it and try and sell it. But now I will give an intake from a 2E2 carburetor a chance first. All that is needed to get the carburetor kit I have to fit it is this in the picture.

9990089600AP_1_hr.jpg

And if this should not work, then I have to come up with something else.

I now spend a lot of time researching and looking for intake manifolds on VW and Audi models to make the new carburetor work. And also waiting for answers from the scrapyard about the Audi they have. But am a little shocked considering how many cars have been made with the part I am looking for and that it is almost impossible to find an intake now. But I have found new intake but do not know which model or if it is for carburetor but does not seem to fit. But have also noticed that some intake has an extra port as seen in the picture high up on the right do not know what it is for.

Genuine Volkswagen Intake Connection NOS Jetta Quantum 027129711B

My intake looks like this against the engine so obviously not the same.

20210903_112646.thumb.jpg.5474c3fb02af0d52b32cf07e30b0b476.jpg

So it's frustrating that my car should have an obsolete shit carburetor as it makes so much fuss and problems. Hope I find a solution as this stresses me a bit.

2 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It leaks fuel and considering that they are unnecessarily complicated and known for problems, I just want to replace it with something better and be done with it.

I know it's a poor design but why is leaking fuel?  Is it flooding?  Have you looked at the float and needle valve? 

9 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I know it's a poor design but why is leaking fuel?  Is it flooding?  Have you looked at the float and needle valve? 

It looks like leaking fuel through the gaskets does not know where. But the whole side of it is wet with fuel. Since this seems to take time to solve, I have ordered a rebuild kit for it. Then I will probably have to try to fix it so I can manage until I get the new one fitted.

10 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

It's very nice to know. Are you familiar with this? Then I had appreciated some tips and help for this.

I don't know that carburettor specifically, but that is quite a common type of problem.    The fuel level in the float chamber should be lower than the top cover gasket.  The float may be punctured or jammed,  The needle valve may be stuck, or badly worn so it does not close properly.  It should be reasonably easy to put right.  Certainly worth trying to rebuild it.  I guess the rebuild kit will include a new needle valve, and that may be all you need. 

9 minutes ago, Mr Pastry said:

I don't know that carburettor specifically, but that is quite a common type of problem.    The fuel level in the float chamber should be lower than the top cover gasket.  The float may be punctured or jammed,  The needle valve may be stuck, or badly worn so it does not close properly.  It should be reasonably easy to put right.  Certainly worth trying to rebuild it.  I guess the rebuild kit will include a new needle valve, and that may be all you need. 

Thanks for the help then I know a little more. And the kit I ordered has a new needle valve so that's good.

2 minutes ago, hairnet said:

It does not fit this as I have the Pierburg 1B carburetor as you see in the picture.

20210903_102717.thumb.jpg.c28704f7b4602b30600f779707f0a533.jpg

But the kit comes with new gaskets between the carburetor and the intake.

Image 1 - Repair Kit Pierburg 36 1B1 1B3 Audi Mercedes Seat Opel VW Carburettor Gasket Set

• 2 weeks later...

Not much happens here now as I'm broke after the Weber carburetor failure. Getting it to fit seems to be very difficult so I have found another possibillty to get a better carburetor on this and it is on its way from Germany.

Today I tried to make the new temperature gauge work. First tried to connect it to existing sensor but it did not work. Then I tried the sensor that came with it and it has the right thread but is too long.

20210913_131121.thumb.jpg.1bffd7a6c28da06e8082e94a44d8f9a0.jpg

So I have to get a shorter sensor that will work with the temperature gauge. And there are no other places I can find to put the sensor other than in the picture under the mark in red cirkele. But mine does not have a bolt here as the picture only has a threaded hole so the sensor here will probably not give a correct measurement as it is not in contact with the coolant.

20210913_122942.thumb.jpg.a147255c6ca21bea44ce1ed3d0019250.jpg

Then I have to start looking for a new sensor. This car is also going into inspection similar to uk's MOT on Wednesday next week is nervous about how it goes.

• 2 weeks later...

Then this was delivered to my local car workshop just before 12.

20210922_113515.thumb.jpg.1afc5ff07ada461caeca4bf873c11c85.jpg

And while I was waiting, I took a look at the workshop's owner's Volvo 240 which has been in the area since new.

20210922_113346.thumb.jpg.4c8cc6a3bb262784192ec4f5e98248b0.jpg

So after a little while I got the result.

20210922_131758.thumb.jpg.967389ce6e1d689c5f874048afc0494c.jpg

It did not pass. The faults are 1 brake pipe at the rear must be replaced, a brake pipe front is poorly attached, a brake shield left front is loose it can be removed, And the brakes hang on the right front. So I'm very happy with this. The car will be in again with them on Thursday next week and they will fix the brake pipes and possibly the other but I will try and fix the hanging brake before that. I was also told that the front brake discs are almost worn out, so I will replace them this winter.

Another thing that happen is that I bought a Pierburg 1B carburetor like the one I have but with manual choke from Germany on ebay. And when the package arrived, it turned out that the seller had sent me a gauge instead.

20210921_092331.thumb.jpg.24259d2ef0b18c1eb5727229a89dcdce.jpg

This gauge is not worth as much as the carburetor and the seller does not answer me anymore so I think I have been screwed over. I have been shopping on ebay for a long time and this is the first time I have experienced this. 

Strange things have happened now with the carburettor i bought. Was called yesterday by a Norwegian who had got my carburetor also it turned out that the gauge I had got he had ordered. So then the only big question was where does he live? Arendal, ARENDAL? It's less than an hour's drive from me. So we met halfway today and exchanged packages. What is the chance that something like this can happen? So now I got the carburetor but it unfortunately lacked the choke parts I hoped it had. And seller, I have not heard anything from.

So the plan is that I will get manual choke on this but do not know how yet. Getting the intake I need to get the Weber carburetor to fit seems impossible. So then the second option is to continue with Pierburg 1B carburetor but to switch to one with manual choke or convert the one I have to manual choke will see what happens

Have today looked a bit at the carburetor I got this weekend and it is clear that it lacks choke parts it must have it is a bit annoying but that's how it is. The rod  that hangs from top to bottom is for the choke.

20210928_115627.thumb.jpg.1452d0654a70197cb001cb603f1d6431.jpg

But I got a carburetor adapter today. Which is from 1 barrel to 2 barrel. And was positively surprised by this it looks like decent quality for the price.

20210928_115012.thumb.jpg.b4ee19b4e77fa42def84c1902633a3e7.jpg

And tested this against the Weber carburetor and this can work the only thing is if this goes clear of the hood as I am afraid it will be too high.

20210928_115240.thumb.jpg.36e1129a1dd3c81ffd30ba48a1ccf214.jpg

So if all goes well on Thursday. Then I can start experimenting a bit and see if I can find a solution to the carburetor situation. Would prefer to use the new Weber carburetor and although such a carburetor adapter may not be ideal, it is among the few options I see now to make it work. The other alternative is to just continue with Pierburg 1B carburetor but then only with one with manual choke but it has its challenges as well.

Earlier this week I had a look at some of what was wrong from the inspection. The brake shield was easy to remove so it was the brake that hung disassembled it and cleaned everything and lubricated it up and still hung. So it needed a new caliper and brake hose this and the brake pipe was replaced in the workshop/garage today and then the car was approved for another 2 years on the road.

983979898_Screenshot2021-09-3018_52_25.thumb.png.b4936b66c2b592751e4abeed6e7f874d.png