Dyslexic Viking's Audi 80 B2 and more.

Dyslexic Viking

Just to start with and say that writing and pictures is not something I am good at but will do my best. Now I finally became the owner of an older car again. Was difficult to choose when I had several cars to choose from but chose this Audi 80 as I have always liked these and this was a good buy by Norwegian standard a Volvo 240 would easily cost twice as much in the same condition. So this is a 1982 Audi 80 CL so cheapest version with 1.6 petrol engine and 5 speed manual transmission. And has only 117,000 km (about 72,000 miles) on him and has known history the first owner was an older couple when they passed away, the son became the new owner and he passed away in 2018. When his widow was to buy his tombstone, she mentioned to the seller about the car and he bought it and I bought it from him. So it has lived its whole life until now in the town of Kragerø.

Now some pictures and I like the color of this fits the car well.

P8200059.thumb.JPG.7fe7ad219fbd4a4ff14ddc0cbe14dee4.JPG

P8200061.thumb.JPG.f943c7e181eaea434867ad8014394023.JPG

P8200062.thumb.JPG.6fe3e21327c3c1f6ef7feb1919a11294.JPG

P8200063.thumb.JPG.f716b2bd5f3fc4a1729a5cedf5c71eb1.JPG

The dealer in Kragerø who sold the car new.

P8200064.thumb.JPG.de400d68e4786065b237ac39bd63156a.JPG

And the interior has a wonderful green color. And I said in the ebay thread about this that I liked the facelift version its dash board better but and having seen this in reality I like it very much.

P8200066.thumb.JPG.12221aef0694c5a62aae6311770c9337.JPG

P8200068.thumb.JPG.ef49128d1804a5c02aea8f9051f55e29.JPG

P8200069.thumb.JPG.5ab3d39356c089841793984f467edc91.JPG

And the engine compartment is incredibly nice still for the age.

P8200070.thumb.JPG.7c60ced73b9886a9df5e9966a9970ee1.JPG

So my plans for this one are just to take care of it and use it in the summer. and the car will be kept as original as possible.

Today I had to wash the car properly underneath as it had a lot of mud in the wheel arches so it was necessary. This accessory for my high pressure washer is very nice.

P8200054.thumb.JPG.d7464268d174853c8d1735bded841373.JPG

And is not really that bad considering that the car is 39 years old.

P8200082.thumb.JPG.168b183d43f4a057a4aacf35eac9768f.JPG

I also took out the trunk fabric to look at the floor it was very easy.

P8200084.thumb.JPG.587ab024b2ea1565ca967b26ef66c4c3.JPG

And the floor was in very good condition just a little surface rust that is easy to fix.

P8200083.thumb.JPG.b2dc956037042fb5028409675f7e60a5.JPG

Since I'm a little tired, I've forgotten some things. This car is incredibly good to drive and I let my dad drive it home after the purchase and he commented on how good it is and not surprising that it was better than his cars (Toyota Yaris / Hiace). It also has a special thing instead of a temperature gauge it has an economy meter and only warning light for temperature so I have to get a temperature gauge fitted. I also have to change the stereo head unit as it no longer works so I am considering buying one of the new ones one can buy that has older looks that will fit the car like this one from Blaupunkt.

WEB_Image_Blaupunkt_Bremen_SQR46_DAB_Retro__BT__US_bremensqr461070605300_plid_2814.Jpeg

About 10 years ago I regularly used to visit Norway on business, mainly Holmestrand and Karmøy. I remember there were a lot of very servicable older cars on the roads, I guess this is due to the eye watering taxes on new cars. Not sure it’s such a bad thing encouraging people to keep older machinery going. There’s also an 80km/h speed limit, as a result of which one of the guys I worked with there told me he‘d never used 6th gear on his Mundano.

6 hours ago, Inspiral_Mondays said:

About 10 years ago I regularly used to visit Norway on business, mainly Holmestrand and Karmøy. I remember there were a lot of very servicable older cars on the roads, I guess this is due to the eye watering taxes on new cars. Not sure it’s such a bad thing encouraging people to keep older machinery going. There’s also an 80km/h speed limit, as a result of which one of the guys I worked with there told me he‘d never used 6th gear on his Mundano.

Unfortunately, the number of older cars is declining for several reasons. Even in the area where I live that has many low-income people, there are very few very old cars left as daily drivers. And most cars older than 20 years are almost gone now.

6 hours ago, horriblemercedes said:

Looks great! Congratulations. 

Those Blaupunkt head units are great but quite expensive. I would like one but I can't justify it since I already have a Kenwood with the same features that is nice, but not as nice as the Blaupunkt 

Also you write well. Don't worry about that! 

Thanks!

And they are expensive so probably will not buy one. And probably look for alternatives instead if there are as I think a modern head unit will not suit the car and look strange.

And thanks for that. I spend a lot of time on writing what I post here on the forum so appreciate it.

Today I got up early and after a quick breakfast I went out to the garage and started working on the car. Was a long day I came in not long ago. And I spent most of the day under the car and know it well now. After picking a little and looking a little carefully, previous rust repairs have been done on the car, which is basically expected considering the age and that it has lived on the coast until now. 

P8210055.thumb.JPG.67bbc64af890f82ad0937557eba1322e.JPG

The spring towers at the back of cars often rust to pieces and on this one they are fortunately good.

P8210059.thumb.JPG.2ba7a7302635662b9d6c18baa082fb4a.JPG

And I'm probably crazy but every rust stain underneath I could find was sanded down and applied Loctite rust converter and then white hammerite paint.

P8210056.thumb.JPG.ef20825cb1d5b83f9e9cddd3854049ef.JPG

And then finally I applied Fluidfilm inside the sills for rust protection. The previous owner also did this professionally on the whole car a few years ago and I have very good experiences with this product. Fluidfilm has managed to avoid the sills on a Yaris with proper coarse rust inside the sills to rust through for 4 years now.

P8210057.thumb.JPG.b9de0bdada91d8cb867e0068bfe712c9.JPG

Love it! The Germans really nailed the green velour interior back in the late 70s, didn't they?

My very first car was the original Audi 80 in a colour I'd describe as shite brown, and these were the current model for the couple of years I had it and I really fancied one.  Keep posting updates, I'd love to see how you get on with it.

I have finished rust work now and the car is in good condition for the age was not much work that was needed. Now is the next thing to service it. And get everything I need for this and a little more next week. Then I will also change the petrol hoses as they are old the ones I bought everything from only had petrol hoses from Febi Bilstein so hope they are of good quality. And I have a Haynes manual on the way in the mail from the UK, that's all that happens to the car now.

Thanks! And the B3 is also decent cars but is too modern in appearance for me. There is something special about this one it looks old and especially with that color it stands out. I've already gotten a thumbs up from a passenger in a modern Golf. Had the same in the last 240 I owned which was also beige and early 80's model got a lot of attention and it's fun.

Took the Audi on a longer drive today and became more familiar with it.

20210824_155129.thumb.jpg.901363ed2113685cbad1845f2e3cb5a9.jpg

Things that need to be fixed

The tires are 14 years old.

The brakes hang a little on the right front.

The engine gets too hot since it does not have a temperature gauge I do not know how much.

Could probably need new shock absorbers.

And probably something more I forgot. But it does not matter then I have a little to do this winter. Brakes front and the cooling system will be completely overhauled. And the radiator switched to the facelift version with an expansion tank.  Is some of the things I plan to do.

I had a B2 Audi 90 CD which used most of the same basic bodyshell and the dashboard / instrument display, albeit the tooling for the bootlid and rear panel had been modified to allow it open all the way down to bumper level by then. The only flaw was that the boot capacity was a bit small, especially once the full-size spare was in. On the other hand, the B3 80/90 had an even smaller boot.

The three switch arrangement either side of the instrument pod allowed fingertip control and haven't really been bettered since then.

Knew when I bought the car that it needed a service so today I got the service parts in the mail.

New engine oil and oil filter air filter and spark plugs.

20210830_112934.thumb.jpg.f78e06fe68e0f92214d6deb4eeebf207.jpg

One thing that turned out was that the Mann filter brand was original to the car. The air filter lid is marked with Mann filter and part number and was exactly this filter I had bought.

20210830_121615.thumb.jpg.a6228e6852f1c62161dd97ad70b1c6f1.jpg

The service was easy and did not take long as everything is easily accessible even the bottom drain plug was easy to get to and did not need to jack up the car or anything else for access.

The oil filter. Was a little disappointing that this and the air filter were cheap low quality filters.

20210830_113035.thumb.jpg.b4f5583b7dc2ea698e0d1e76ada7a560.jpg'

The engine drain plug is easy to access.

20210830_113109.thumb.jpg.9e96f73502ba9567b422b60d7be6bb3f.jpg

So not the most exciting update but am happy to get this done and am very happy with how service friendly this car is

Very nice. 1600 CL same as mine was. Enjoy as they are a  nice car.

Be very careful with the vapour trap when you replace the pipes. NLA and only fitted for a year or so.  Also make sure you really check the rear of the sills and around the rear axle trailing arm(?) mounts to the body they hide the rust in this area very well.  Look through 'Dodgey Bastards' posts on here. If I remember correctly the B2 he had broke there whilst on the motorway :-o. An acquaintance of his now owns mine  Last I heard it was stripped ready for another engine but have not heard of it since. That was a couple of years ago. A picture of it polished to oblivion. Rust was just starting to take hold and It looked better at 10 feet.

IMAG0312.thumb.jpg.192bfe3bb317664f8e6a47b0be2787b9.jpg

Let me know if you need spares. I have some bits left lurking in the garage that I was going to sell but never got around to. Some alternators starter motors and distributors. Shipping will be very expensive though :-(

Thanks! The one you had looks nice in the picture and what rims are they? And mine seems good for rust but when you say that I will check that area carefully so thanks for the tip. And with vapor trap is then a little unsure which do you mean? And thank you for the offer of parts but probably also think that the shipping will be too expensive unfortunately. But if it should be relevant then will get in touch.

Wheels are commonly referred to as golf g60 wheels. Those are 15". The car is sat on lowered springs and had the arches rolled as well. All done before I bought it ;-) 

Helpful if you know your engine designation. (1st 2 letters of the engine serial number. Memory is cloudy on that detail)

Vapour trap - No 36 in this parts diagram https://audi.7zap.com/en/rdw/audi+80+90+avant/a80/1982-3/1/129-26000/

I found that using german sites and german ebay was useful. Ask nicely and a lot of sellers on german ebay will ship to you. Lots of parts are common to VW as well so having the part number helps cross reference. 7 zap helps a lot. :-)

For water temp - iirc there is a hole in the head at the back of the engine. A sender some wires and a gauge should do the trick.

Thanks and then I know what you mean by vapor trap. And have looked at it and it looks fragile so must be careful with it. I will probably not lower this as the roads I drive on and the use I have intended for the car will lower it will ruin the car more than anything else. And when it comes to rims I'm a little unsure I want to keep it as original as possible but I'm not so fond of the wheel covers that are on now. And I am very fond of black rims and think it would have fit the car well. So possible I just go for black steel rims or maybe the little hub caps that are in the picture below do not know yet.

Galleribilde

And thanks for the tip about water temp in the back of the engine head. I have a water temperature gauge on the way and need to find a place to mount the sensor to this one. So will check it out.

There is one selling a 1982 Audi 100 in parts here. These have a lot of similarities with 80 but do not know how much fits between these are especially things like seats I think of then. Would think that those in a 100CS are better than those in an 80CL? Also do not know if I would have done it and there is over 4 hours of driving and pick up some parts from this. But I'm thinking about it. Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

Galleribilde

23 hours ago, billy_bunter said:

Also make sure you really check the rear of the sills and around the rear axle trailing arm(?) mounts to the body they hide the rust in this area very well. 

Thank you for letting me know about this. Checked this area carefully today as I have overlooked this area a bit. And after removing some underseal and studying this carefully, it has been welded a lot here, so it is possible that the fasteners in the body have been completely replaced. But it looks solid but is an idiotic design this. Sand gravel and mud can be thrown up by the wheel into the axle bracket and hold on to water which in turn leads to rust. So I cleaned these and applied Fluidfilm inside the fasteners and the cavity. And must follow these and clean often so do not build up gravel and sand here.

So the car is not as untouched as I thought.

7 hours ago, Tadhg Tiogar said:

Steering wheel, seats, and probably wheels are common or can be exchanged between the B2 and C2. Also some of the smaller parts in the engine bay such as the brake fluid reservoir, but I think that's about it. 

That's good to know. Then the only question is are the seats in a 100CS better than an 80CL? Because if I were to do this, the seats in the parts car should be in good condition and more comfortable than the ones I have to be worth it. But the seats in the car now are not bad but if I could get some who is even better then it is something I will consider.

14 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

That's good to know. Then the only question is are the seats in a 100CS better than an 80CL? Because if I were to do this, the seats in the parts car should be in good condition and more comfortable than the ones I have to be worth it. But the seats in the car now are not bad but if I could get some who is even better then it is something I will consider.

The seats themselves may be slightly wider, but you should be able to use the same sliding bases. If in doubt, try a C2 seat on a B2 base first.

I actually liked the C2s, especially in 100 5E or 200 5T form. The Dovercourt dealership in St.John's Wood, London offered the 200 5T for £13,000 at launch, and my parents took me to see it as they were looking at the possibility of buying a new Polo.

I received an exciting box for the Audi today.

20210901_105036.thumb.jpg.7bda39af273c9e0660b4e8a7b94a3a9b.jpg

So the Audi gets a new carburetor.

20210901_105414.thumb.jpg.7eb23a8825183a7d597484a50254c3e7.jpg

This was something I knew I was going to have to do sooner or later. Since the original carburetors in these are unnecessarily complicated and known for problems. And this became necessary now when the old carburetor started leaking gasoline. So this is a complete set for conversion to Weber carburetor for this car.

20210901_105704.thumb.jpg.fd0d81f744a6fd2c9c522ef725dc4950.jpg

20210901_112014.thumb.jpg.92c3c7878709d30dfd412842f9a9293f.jpg

I am missing the rubber part under the carburetor so I have to wait and mount it until I get that part. But I took today and mounted the Choke cable and was lucky it comes with the Choke cable in the set but I ordered with a longer one to be sure and was the long one I had to use. And during assembly I had to disassemble the dashboard a bit.

20210901_122346.thumb.jpg.a334cb222110f87934f45b0e61e08c06.jpg

And was very pleased with the Choke cable fitted this looks original to the car.

20210901_131932.thumb.jpg.118a6f82e765bb94bc188a26eac6c348.jpg

So then I just have to wait until I have the part I need and the carburetor will be replaced. And I bought the Weber kit from https://classiccarbs.co.uk/  if anyone was wondering.