2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Still Here, Somehow.

St.Jude

I've just caught up with the last two weeks of this thread. 

Amazing perseverance in the face of adversity from ungrateful bastard car and possibly less than understanding better half. (To be fair to her while you're spannering you're not parenting and I know that can cause stress).

Our heads are often our worst enemies in situations like this. I feel your pain. Many times I've been balls deep in something mechanical then I get The Fear that it won't work or I've made it worse. 

I'd put a decent sum of money on the fact that this will run better than it ever has after your hard work. 

Good vibes coming your way from this part of the Midlands.

33 minutes ago, grogee said:

I've just caught up with the last two weeks of this thread. 

Amazing perseverance in the face of adversity from ungrateful bastard car and possibly less than understanding better half. (To be fair to her while you're spannering you're not parenting and I know that can cause stress).

Our heads are often our worst enemies in situations like this. I feel your pain. Many times I've been balls deep in something mechanical then I get The Fear that it won't work or I've made it worse. 

I'd put a decent sum of money on the fact that this will run better than it ever has after your hard work. 

Good vibes coming your way from this part of the Midlands.

Cheers bud, tbh she was like this with the RAV4 as well so it’s not just the baby.

I’m usually not like that, but that happened and even when I was under it I felt a bit panicked like I was going to be trapped. I wouldn’t, as it’s not on axle stands or anything just sat there on its four wheels.

I don’t know, but I did a random thing on Friday morning too when the wife hit me to stop me snoring, and apparently I got out of the bed to look for something. I was asleep and just got back in to bed. Well odd, that never happens.

Theres probably something in the back of my head that’s not happy, who knows

Spoke to Toyota, that clamp costs £13 plus VAT. It was shagged anyway as whoever had the lines off before fouled the clamp so I couldn’t use it again, not really.

Great morning though as I have gone to work without my wallet, and he wanted payment to order. I politely reminded him of the amount of money I’ve spent in the last month or two and that I’m good for £20. He agreed, so it’ll be ordered and turn up on Wednesday.

Depending on the weather, I may attempt to install the oil catch can tonight, or at least mount the magic Aussie box to the car. 

• St.Jude changed the title to 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Randy: Slowing coming together, with EGR remedy

Had a quick hour after work, decided to put the throttle body back on to the car.

IMG_20220517_175703431_HDR.thumb.jpg.8af7d81f65c6c34d8deabfa3aa394a26.jpg

Slight faff with it, as the EGR cooler (box with blue/white sticker) needed to be loosened a bit in order to get the throttle body back on, as the EGR cooler feeds in to the EGR valve here. It was a further faff putting the screws/bolts/nuts back on as I've got massive hands and some part of this car weren't designed for people with shovel hands like myself.

Now the magic box I bought from Australia plugs in to the top of the EGR valve, which I've not connected for the moment. I've also done a little "upgrade" to the throttle body, removing the butterfly flap.

IMG_20220517_175708718_HDR.thumb.jpg.2b0d64b1020d445aca7ca1dfb6a629de.jpg

This valve stays open when off, and when you drive it tends to close so that the engine sucks up the gases from the EGR cooler. Now, though, it'll only suck in cold air from the intercooler and not bother it's arse with the EGR. Which is a good thing, as it will improve engine response and fuel economy, without affecting emissions (apparently). The chap who did this to his Land Cruiser reckons he's seen a marked improvement on MPG doing this mod alone, and the response at the low end is more akin to a 5.0 litre diesel. He's also using the magic aussie box as well, so it all helps. 

Now I had intended to put an oil catch can on the car, but I'm getting conflicting messages about it. Some say it's a good thing, but others are also saying that if the EGR is blocked or taken out altogether then a catch can isn't needed. Given the absolute state of the rocker cover, I'm still inclined to use a catch can. 

13 hours ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Making some excellent progress here! I wish I'd ever be able to have half the motivation as you to be able to persist with one job for so long! :D

The fear of it breaking on my watch is what drives me to do it, plus I quite like driving it and do miss it!

Had to go to work today because someone couldn't turn a laptop off (wish I was joking), so went to Toyota to collect the bits. They ordered the wrong clamp, but that's now on order and if I was at home I'd have been able to pick it up today. But I'm not, so I got to wait until Friday morning before I get it.

I've read up on the oil catch can thing, as the EGR is effectively blocked off now I don't need to install one. So that'll save some time. Tonight, when I get home, I can fill it with oil, code injectors and then fire it up and test the fuel pressure to make sure I've no leaks. 

If that goes to plan, which it probably won't, after a quick half an hour of fitting the fuel line clamps and other bits and pieces, I'll be driving it on Friday on my day off. Can't fucking wait. 

Good news!

After much faffing with injector codes - mistaking a D for a 0 - injectors are coded!

Good news!

After a long start… it started!

Good news!

Nothing exploded!

Good news!

No visible signs of diesel fuel leaking from the lines!

Bad news.

It sounds rough… BUT I’ve not got the intercooler attached which has some sensors on it, it wasn’t warmed up when I turned it off, and I may have started it first time without Cylinder 1 injector not being plugged in. It sounds like a tractor without an exhaust, but tbh I can’t even remember what it’s meant to sound like.

Tomorrow I will put the intercooler back on, tighten everything down, throw the car back on Techstream to see if I can clear the codes it threw up (two lights came on so somethings not happy) and give it another go.

Fairy sure everything is fine though, I mean I heard nothing metallic banging around, it just sounds like a diesel.

Also, no black or white smoke, no smoke at all I could see. So no pope announcements anymore!

17 minutes ago, grogee said:

<awaits sitrep after everything's bolted down>

bill-hader-watching.gif

“So everything’s bolted down, everything’s tight, now just to start the engine…

fucking fuel lines leaking. now I gotta take everything back off again”

Honestly if it goes like that I will happily throw myself off the roof of my house on to the damn thing.

13 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

“So everything’s bolted down, everything’s tight, now just to start the engine…

fucking fuel lines leaking. now I gotta take everything back off again”

Honestly if it goes like that I will happily throw myself off the roof of my house on to the damn thing.

Everything? Or just the plastic shiz?

Leaking at the injector?

Hope it's just a loose onion (union).

For the attention of Mr @Crackers

Video enough for ya?!

Barring the fuel clamp which I couldn't get today - left work at 4pm, every dickhead in the country was going my way so my 25 minute commute turned to 45 mins so couldn't make it to Toyota - it all works. Sounds fairly good, I think? 

IMG_20220519_182326551.thumb.jpg.1812c59b1bfb7febd9361cfe00a83062.jpg

That yellow box in the left hand corner is the aussie box of magic, which is set to "factory" standard as I need to re-re-read the instruction manual that I got sent for it. I'll go in to this a bit more when I've figured it out. Eventually I want to fix it to the car properly (as currently it's tied to the loom with cable ties, which is fine as it's only 150g in weight) but not until I know it's configured right etc. 

Tomorrow I've got the day off, so in the morning I'll be off to Toyota to get the clamp, fit it, then off to Sainsbury's to fill it up to work out what my MPG was before the aussie box of tricks (and EGR butterfly removal) were done.

It's been off the road so long, the last time I put diesel in it diesel was 145.9p a litre. The same garage I'll be going to tomorrow is now 176.9p. That's what, 2 months? 

• St.Jude changed the title to 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Randy: IT WORKS! Video included for the benefit of Mr.Crackers
1 minute ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Sounds sweet as fuck mind.

Thanks! I've not had a diesel for a long time and the last one was a hateful piece of shit. So I thought it sounded alright, and I'm glad now that someone has confirmed such a thing.

Genuinely can't wait to drive it tomorrow. Won't be going anywhere fancy, just Birmingham, and not going near the motorway. Not until I've driven it a bit around town to make sure it's grand.

1 hour ago, Matty said:

Now @St.Jude, tell me it wasn't all worth it 👌

Well….

I’ve done 14 miles, it’s swallowed 51 litres of diesel (so I was getting 24mpg before this work), the car feels more responsive and it gets to 30/40 quicker and stays there at lower revs (probably because of the EGR butterfly removal and Aussie box of magic) - but it is producing whisps of black soot from the back when I rev at 2,000rpm. Starting to feel that’s normal for an old diesel with no DPF?

What has made it worth it is comfort. I’ve missed this whip. Again, nothing has broken or exploded, whisps of black soot are a fly in my ointment but fuck me it was lovely going to Costa drive through and being eye level with the lovely server.

Your tuning box is probably just a resistor or summat that tricks the ECU by spoofing the airflow or fuel temp signal to put +x% fuel in so a little smoke is probably to be expected.

Great work by the way, I can offer injector solidarity and can confirm I was suitably shitting myself when doing up the spindly M6 stretch bolts on mine in light of your trauma but I got away with it, this time.

Yeah I’m not rolling coal, it’s just whisps of it. It seemed to be less and less during the day so I think it may have been just shite in there that needed burning off.

60 miles done so far, seems to be going well. No smells, no smoke, no banging. Sound!