2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Still Here, Somehow.

St.Jude

It took long enough, I don't know where it's been but it spent a week waiting for a flight from wherever it ended up.

But it's here!

IMG_20220421_110122657_HDR.thumb.jpg.e5d75ab8378711060e274d5c6374d2f2.jpg

IMG_20220421_110129309_HDR.thumb.jpg.5fcc5e5b657421e1e8b4cfeba9606466.jpg

Just in time for the 4 days I have off in front of me, except 3 of those I'll be in Germany.

Super excited to get this thing back on the road, I've missed not going to the diesel pump and wincing at paying 171.9p a litre for it.

• 2 weeks later...

It begins....

I've been waiting for a weekend or parts to come to do the job, so may have missed the window to return the old injectors for money back. But we'll see.

Helpfully the refurbished injectors come with the dreaded copper seats, which are trash. I bought a set from Toyota just in case, so I'm glad I did that.

Davina McCall's face on my wife's Good Housekeeping magazine for scale.

IMG_20220430_124858132_HDR.thumb.jpg.c629b12351017373c4ae20dd3755296d.jpg

9 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

It begins....

I've been waiting for a weekend or parts to come to do the job, so may have missed the window to return the old injectors for money back. But we'll see.

Helpfully the refurbished injectors come with the dreaded copper seats, which are trash. I bought a set from Toyota just in case, so I'm glad I did that.

Davina McCall's face on my wife's Good Housekeeping magazine for scale.

IMG_20220430_124858132_HDR.thumb.jpg.c629b12351017373c4ae20dd3755296d.jpg

No matter the end result I'd always balk at the idea of spending £1600 on injectors! 😬I admire your perseverance!

And I can only share the frustration of waiting for parts/receiving shit parts [/refer to my fleet thread]

1 hour ago, RoverFolkUs said:

No matter the end result I'd always balk at the idea of spending £1600 on injectors! 😬I admire your perseverance!

And I can only share the frustration of waiting for parts/receiving shit parts [/refer to my fleet thread]

Well helpfully someone told me after I bought the pipes (which is what has inflated the price tbh) that there's a site I can use to get them for much cheaper than dealership. Which is all well and good when you're told long after you bought them!

Right now I'm battling with the Techstream software on my laptop. Twice now I've tried to connect to the car to get the codes for the old injectors, twice it's not been able to connect. The third time just caused a blue screen of death.

I fucking hate computers, especially when I deal with them as a job.

Also, as I sit in here, I have noticed the dashboard has another crack in it. They're bastards for this, and now I've another one. But it means nothing if I can't get the damn injectors changed 😂

No injectors changed today, the Techstream bollocks really did muck things up. Took far too long really.

So I made the most of it and removed the EGR valve and throttle body, and used £10(!) Of petrol to clean them.IMG_20220430_171216710_HDR.thumb.jpg.8ab672038be544b684460db4786f5997.jpg

There's a mod someone has spoken about regarding a butterfly valve and some screws that need drilling out. No idea where it is as I don't think it's the throttle body, but I'll have to ask the bloke tonight and hopefully get a response before tomorrow.

The whole EGR valve though was coked up to frig, really was bad. It's all filmed so I'll screen shot the before and afters.

Shot of the engine bay without the plastic shit and throttle body.

IMG_20220430_165127343_HDR.thumb.jpg.455b506dbfd610ebc5d90e085d944983.jpg

This is the EGR cooler that took the dickhead I bought it from a whole month to fix the air con - which still don't work.

IMG_20220430_165139525_HDR.thumb.jpg.1aade521ed12e8e5e81bb32692dbd8cd.jpg

Notice, if you will, the clamp for those fuel lines. Just as well they're being replaced I think that one on the right is going to be a bit kinked.

So I've re-read the other forum post about the butterfly valve, I know the one they're on about now and it's the actual removal of the plate from the valve that's required. Which then means I need to install a catch can, which I've got, so tomorrow it'll be a case of:

• install injectors
  • clean injector wells
  • install new fuel lines
  • program injectors
  • remove butterfly valve thing
  • install catch can
  • install EGR doohickey

And it's going to rain tomorrow. Is it even me working on a Toyota 4x4 if there's no rain involved?

6 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

So tomorrow it'll be a case of:

•  Fuck around with shit/incorrect parts, chase my own tail
  • Get very grumpy and think of scrapping the shitheap
  • Have second thoughts 5 seconds later and continue with the repair

FTFY... :)

....(I'm just still very sour about all the fuckery I went through with my Focus yesterday...)

Not far wrong today I don't think @RoverFolkUs...

I've managed to get the rocker cover off. This is what I see....

IMG_20220501_154904595_HDR.thumb.jpg.c6ebe5e7d0b815fac4ec4b582740a081.jpg

Not an expert, but every other petrol car I've taken the cover off never looked as sludgy like this. Regardless of what the Techstream values told me, where one may be on the way out but the other three are fine, this sludge is evidence of an injector pissing diesel in to the oil.

I'm about to put my endoscope up the oil pan to see if the pick up is blocked. I've a feeling it could be if the rocker is like this.

6 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Not an expert, but every other petrol car I've taken the cover off never looked as sludgy like this. Regardless of what the Techstream values told me, where one may be on the way out but the other three are fine, this sludge is evidence of an injector pissing diesel in to the oil.

I'm about to put my endoscope up the oil pan to see if the pick up is blocked. I've a feeling it could be if the rocker is like this.

Uh oh!

How many miles has it done and what's the service history like? Looks like a combination of lack of servicing to me as well :(

28 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Uh oh!

How many miles has it done and what's the service history like? Looks like a combination of lack of servicing to me as well :(

About 153,000 miles. I've put 6,000 of those on it myself. From memory, the last stamp in the Toyota book is about 90-100,000 miles. Then I've got the most recent enough receipts for the last 2/3 years. So at a guestimate, there's a good 20-30,000 miles not accounted for. 

Trying to get the endoscope to work to inspect the pick up in the sump, as if the rocker is like this then there's a good chance I'll need to drop the sump and clean all that out too. Which I really, really don't want to do. 

24 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

About 153,000 miles. I've put 6,000 of those on it myself. From memory, the last stamp in the Toyota book is about 90-100,000 miles. Then I've got the most recent enough receipts for the last 2/3 years. So at a guestimate, there's a good 20-30,000 miles not accounted for. 

Trying to get the endoscope to work to inspect the pick up in the sump, as if the rocker is like this then there's a good chance I'll need to drop the sump and clean all that out too. Which I really, really don't want to do. 

That does look like it's possibly gone without a service for about 20-30k miles at some point! 

Definitely worth checking the sump, if it's sludged it's got to be cleared really

Short of a complete engine teardown it's very hard to get rid of sludge at that stage, definitely wouldn't recommend using any engine flush products as it'll probably just move the crap around and block something vital 

I wish you the best of luck! That's the difficulty when it's a car you care greatly about, you want to keep it going but everything becomes a hassle when previous owners haven't felt the same way!

1 hour ago, St.Jude said:

Could be wrong but i always assumed diesel when mixed with engine oil would have the effect of thinning the oil in the sump. 

12 minutes ago, Nullzwei said:

Could be wrong but i always assumed diesel when mixed with engine oil would have the effect of thinning the oil in the sump. 

It does, but in the long term the carbon content builds up in the oil and dries up and turns to sludge. It's similar to black death from an injector seal leak but still wet and sludgy and not as solid

1 hour ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Oh dear that isn't ideal.

I'd suggest seriously considering getting it running reasonably well then getting rid of it via WBAC or similar. I don't feel optimistic about that engines long term prospects.

You aren't the first to suggest that. I'm thinking about it the moment I saw it.

Issue is then what else do I end up with. I can get the same again and be in the same position. I'm quite annoyed at it really as over on the LandCruiser forum, the numbers Techstream gave would indicate a good engine. I very nearly decided against the injector swap last night but then thought fuck it I'm half way there. Glad I did now really.

I would say though that while it's probably skipped a service or two, leaking injectors are probably the biggest cause of this. As I'm stood here typing trying to work out why one injector is stuck fast in the engine. The other 3 are grand, but this one is stuck. It's also the one that gave the odd reading on Techstream, and I know that if the injector here is stuck then it's been pissing diesel in to the oil.

I have a small sump to inspect, which would give a better indication of contamination and if the whole thing is sludged up. I'm going to take that one off and see what it says, as if that's fine then I'm concentrating on the sludge at the top instead of sludge on the oil pickups on both sumps.

Also, fyi, the sludge I've got here is thick and oily and has come off fairly easily. It could be a case that a duff injector has done this and I've caught it in time

25 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

You aren't the first to suggest that. I'm thinking about it the moment I saw it.

Issue is then what else do I end up with. I can get the same again and be in the same position. I'm quite annoyed at it really as over on the LandCruiser forum, the numbers Techstream gave would indicate a good engine. I very nearly decided against the injector swap last night but then thought fuck it I'm half way there. Glad I did now really.

I would say though that while it's probably skipped a service or two, leaking injectors are probably the biggest cause of this. As I'm stood here typing trying to work out why one injector is stuck fast in the engine. The other 3 are grand, but this one is stuck. It's also the one that gave the odd reading on Techstream, and I know that if the injector here is stuck then it's been pissing diesel in to the oil.

I have a small sump to inspect, which would give a better indication of contamination and if the whole thing is sludged up. I'm going to take that one off and see what it says, as if that's fine then I'm concentrating on the sludge at the top instead of sludge on the oil pickups on both sumps.

Also, fyi, the sludge I've got here is thick and oily and has come off fairly easily. It could be a case that a duff injector has done this and I've caught it in time

If an injector is duff it's definitely worth sorting it as when they're stuck open or not injecting correctly it can cause engine damage, cracked pistons etc. (Hope I'm not teaching grandma to suck eggs etc)

To be honest diesel is good as a detergent, so it should clean off fairly easily, it'll just be difficult to get rid of all of it from hard to reach areas, and you wouldn't want to shift it around with an engine flush

A thorough clean out of as much sludge as possible will only help, maybe a few consecutive short-interval oil and filter changes too. 

My two pence worth would be weigh up the cost of sacking this one off and buying another one with meticulous service history and use that price difference as your decision maker. If there would be a huge price difference you may as well stick with what you've got. 

Stuck injector - nightmare. It's possibly had a leaking injector seal and the injector port is coked up with black death

1 hour ago, Nullzwei said:

Not on the 1KD it doesn't. It junks the whole lot up, can lead to cracked pistons etc. This isn't great but the alternative is far worse.

Wife has also helpfully came home and isn't at all impressed, moaning at me about the cost of the car and that "you've fucked it" while she has the door open to her car in the pissing rain.

But here's the deal right now, as I think I'm going to have to call it a day shortly, I got the stuck injector out.

Here is the comparison of the one next to it which was fine, and the stuck one. The stuck one is at the bottom.

IMG_20220501_181244813_HDR.thumb.jpg.977488d67045da166612a2f5c99b28f5.jpg

On closer inspection...

IMG_20220501_181250202_HDR.thumb.jpg.955160ad60b7eda073b17cb4039cfdac.jpg

Now these are meant to have seats. The goodish one does, the fucked one doesn't. So either there is no seal on that injector, it's burnt away to hell, or it's still in the engine.

19 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Wife has also helpfully came home and isn't at all impressed, moaning at me about the cost of the car and that "you've fucked it" 

Pull a fuse or something to immobilise her car and see how quickly she comes running to you to fix it 🙃

50 minutes ago, RoverFolkUs said:

Looking at that bottom injector in the photos, I'd be tempted to say that's been pulled and they've been unable to retrieve/replace the seal so reused it hence why it's covered in black shit. That might be the cause of some of the sludge

The last one to come off, which was also a little stuck but not to the extent of the one I've shown, also showed similar signs but not to the same extent.

Hopefully that's the cause, hopefully I've got most of the shit from the rocker cover off of it and for the next 12 months perform a rigorous oil change policy.

Relations here are fractious, and won't get any better when I point out that I really ought to carry on with this tomorrow. As the coming weekend is a washout with a wedding, and I don't want this to drag out for another fortnight.

What's left...

IMG_20220501_190905685_HDR.thumb.jpg.15f04b7f31ed370be315cbca72697541.jpg

New injectors are installed. I had hoped to at least put the new fuel lines in but I can't see anything in the low light we've got.

Maybe tomorrow morning, at the very least, I will:

Attach new fuel lines

Refit fuel rail and fork things I took off

Reattach rocker cover with new gaskets

Tie up injectors to fuel lines

That would mean the fuel system is all ticketyboo. That would then leave:

Throttle body

Oil catch can

Intercooler

New oil filter

Reattach under tray

But the undertray would have to be taken off properly first for me to inspect the "small sump". So potentially I would have to remove the sumps, clean the pick up, reattach all that shit too.

• St.Jude changed the title to 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Randy: Bad times and sludge for days

Think you’ve done pretty good and caught it in time well done on the clean up, I don’t think that’s been neglected it’s just the result of leaking injector(s) seals letting combustion gases out

dropping and cleaning the sump and especially the oil pickup is definitely a good idea 

check the condition of the turbo as the sludge causes oil starvation and failure 

at least now you’ve done all this you shouldn’t have to do it again 

Did you retrieve a seal from the one with the missing seal? Apparently they can be hard to spot but it it's not come out with the injector there will be at least one in there?

And have you got a seal cutting kit? I watched a couple of videos about Mercedes Black Death™ and they said you need to give the seat in the head a light re-cutting for it to seal again, especially if it's been chuffing. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222176260676

11 minutes ago, goosey said:

Think you’ve done pretty good and caught it in time well done on the clean up, I don’t think that’s been neglected it’s just the result of leaking injector(s) seals letting combustion gases out

dropping and cleaning the sump and especially the oil pickup is definitely a good idea 

check the condition of the turbo as the sludge causes oil starvation and failure 

at least now you’ve done all this you shouldn’t have to do it again 

Ah man don't tell me that, I've a serious case of the CBA's I can't be fucked looking at a turbo now as well. Don't even know where the turbo is on this tbh. But you know I will now, off to Google I go!

The little bit of the gauze you see at the drain plug looks fairly clean. So I'm confident when I drop the small sump it'll be clean. But, as you well know, I've been wrong before. 

5 minutes ago, Dave_Q said:

Did you retrieve a seal from the one with the missing seal? Apparently they can be hard to spot but it it's not come out with the injector there will be at least one in there?

And have you got a seal cutting kit? I watched a couple of videos about Mercedes Black Death™ and they said you need to give the seat in the head a light re-cutting for it to seal again, especially if it's been chuffing. 

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222176260676

Sorry, I did! Was a bit hard to get hold of, I butchered a pick tool I bought for when I was doing the diff on the RAV4 as the needle was too long and the plastic handle wouldn't let me fish it out. Mangled the tool, but out it came. Well worn but, importantly, wasn't the old copper washers that these were with first. So these injectors have been out once before, have done 150,000 miles, and according to Fourby4diesel (aussie guru of the Land Cruiser) they should only last about 120,000 miles. Roughly. 

I've not got a seal cutting kit. What I had was a lint free cloth (i.e. the sleeve of an old shirt I wore last week so it's saved on the washing), a 14mm dowel and loads of brake cleaner. I've no pics, but it looked like a horror show to begin with. But at the end it was like a mirror. This seems to be enough for the Toyota's though, according to the Land Cruiser community anyway.

As an aside, the engine after mine apparently don't include injector seats. That's what I've read in one place. Doesn't affect this but the more you know etc. 

11 minutes ago, St.Jude said:

Ah man don't tell me that, I've a serious case of the CBA's I can't be fucked looking at a turbo now as well. Don't even know where the turbo is on this tbh. But you know I will now, off to Google I go!

The little bit of the gauze you see at the drain plug looks fairly clean. So I'm confident when I drop the small sump it'll be clean. But, as you well know, I've been wrong before. 

Sorry, I did! Was a bit hard to get hold of, I butchered a pick tool I bought for when I was doing the diff on the RAV4 as the needle was too long and the plastic handle wouldn't let me fish it out. Mangled the tool, but out it came. Well worn but, importantly, wasn't the old copper washers that these were with first. So these injectors have been out once before, have done 150,000 miles, and according to Fourby4diesel (aussie guru of the Land Cruiser) they should only last about 120,000 miles. Roughly. 

I've not got a seal cutting kit. What I had was a lint free cloth (i.e. the sleeve of an old shirt I wore last week so it's saved on the washing), a 14mm dowel and loads of brake cleaner. I've no pics, but it looked like a horror show to begin with. But at the end it was like a mirror. This seems to be enough for the Toyota's though, according to the Land Cruiser community anyway.

As an aside, the engine after mine apparently don't include injector seats. That's what I've read in one place. Doesn't affect this but the more you know etc. 

No worries, just give the shaft a wiggle to check for excess play and check the turbine fan hasn’t been making contact with the housing.

I wouldn’t worry about injector seat cutting tools, as long as the seat is clean and damage free it should be fine 👍🏻

Went at it this morning, put everything back and decide to torque it all up.

The very first through bolt...

IMG_20220502_103235088_HDR.thumb.jpg.3847e3de5500a06f06ebc54abe0d641f.jpg

Snapped. In the block. In. The. Block.

Wrench never clicked or anything, it just kept going and I knew it was tight, but it has to be tight, and in the end the fucking cunt of a thing snaps.

IMG_20220502_103447296.thumb.jpg.f86267bd8f43982dcc29bddf39df517a.jpg

I'm actually shaking with rage 😂

2 minutes ago, loserone said:

Oh man.  

V8 conversion time?

Genuinely considering a call to the Samaritans.

I'm going to have to hand it in to a garage and let them do it. I've considered taking the head off and getting it machined but I'm asking for trouble if I put this back together I think. Plus already had her moan at me for spending the last 3 weekends doing other things rather than toddling round fucking Sainsbury's, so I can't tell her that I'm going to do more as well.

IMG_20220502_105316290.thumb.jpg.417c52886316e614caf3bd91db9b1533.jpg

Fucking GARBAGE mate.

Fuck.

How brave are you feeling?

It might not actually be that tight unless the threads had bottomed out, if there's not enough left to grip and turn you might be able to drill a hole in what remains of the old bolt then hammer in a spline bit to unscrew it. That said it looks like it's broken off at an angle which might make it hard/impossible to drill without it deflecting into the threads in which case you're really fucked.

1 minute ago, jonathan_dyane said:

Fuck.

How brave are you feeling?

It might not actually be that tight unless the threads had bottomed out, if there's not enough left to grip and turn you might be able to drill a hole in what remains of the old bolt then hammer in a spline bit to unscrew it. That said it looks like it's broken off at an angle which might make it hard/impossible to drill without it deflecting into the threads in which case you're really fucked.

I took one of the none broken ones out.

IMG_20220502_105918489.thumb.jpg.ff0ee06e8a752a6285159d45397bd2a6.jpg

It went in a fair way really.

I've not got the drill, patience, hand steadiness for this. I'm happy to admit defeat and let the local garage fuck me for it. My wife is already doing it, so might as well make it a gangbang