2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Still Here, Somehow.

St.Jude

50 minutes ago, grogee said:

Nothing to do with anything but I sold my Starlink kit very easily to a guy who came and handed over cash. His side hustle was shipping Starlinks out to Zimbabwe. 

I hope someone comes through with some wallet-busting cash for @St.Jude

@grogee - is that the Elon Musk thing? I didn't know there was an aftermarket in these? Is the buyer taking over the subscription which is the expensive part (depending on the package)? Because the hardware comes bundled with the subscription. I was going to get one but the subscription is still quite high for the roving package.

I thought the individual Starlinks were continent specific? 

15 hours ago, SiC said:

Funnily enough my neighbour sold his Land Cruiser today (replaced with a Skoda Superb). Chap turned up, didn't even bother checking and test driving it before handing over the cash. It's next journey is off to the Congo! I can ask him for the chaps details if you're interested...

Replacing a Landcruiser.... They are too good to let go if you have a good one!

I wonder which model it was going to the DRC. Export may be an option - but Landcruisers are not so pricey on the continental African Market - I was looking at buying one in South Africa - £10,000 will buy a very useable 60 Series. But it all depends on the model.

There is a much more basic 70 Series which is the big seller in far-flung places which is not sold in the UK. Much more substantial than the boulavardieres sold in the West which are larded with crap just waiting to go wrong.

2 hours ago, lesapandre said:

@grogee - is that the Elon Musk thing? I didn't know there was an aftermarket in these? Is the buyer taking over the subscription which is the expensive part (depending on the package)? Because the hardware comes bundled with the subscription. I was going to get one but the subscription is still quite high for the roving package.

I thought the individual Starlinks were continent specific? 

(Sorry for the thread siding) 

I don't know too much about it but I'm pretty sure any Starlink can be used anywhere in the world, if  Starlink approves it. 

I think it boils down to them not wanting a million units packed into a square mile which would be difficult for the satellites to service. 

There is an official 'handover' process to let them know your kit has a new owner. 

Think we paid £450 for the kit and £75/mo for subscription, it was very useful in our temp accommodation. Fast download speeds too. 

If there was an alternative I'd have used it instead of lining Space Karen's pockets

5 hours ago, lesapandre said:

I wonder which model it was going to the DRC

I'm not up on my land cruisers. This is it on streetview. Was a 2008 plate and had 7 seats.

He had it for a good 5 years iirc. Bought it cheap off (notorious?) Sterling Cars in Reading (carsnoreserve on eBay). Has been very reliable even if the oil stains on the road suggests it was a bit of a leaky bastard. 

Screenshot_20231007-164332.png

Screenshot_20231007-164452.png

15 hours ago, SiC said:

I'm not up on my land cruisers. This is it on streetview. Was a 2008 plate and had 7 seats.

He had it for a good 5 years iirc. Bought it cheap off (notorious?) Sterling Cars in Reading (carsnoreserve on eBay). Has been very reliable even if the oil stains on the road suggests it was a bit of a leaky bastard. 

That generation tend to rot out underneath and are not so durable I think - I'm not sure they are even on a chassis. Yea probably good export fodder - even if just for parts.

I must say I love my Landcruiser- just so useful - a sure thing in an uncertain world.

17 minutes ago, SiC said:

12 minutes ago, lesapandre said:

That generation tend to rot out underneath and are not so durable I think - I'm not sure they are even on a chassis. Yea probably good export fodder - even if just for parts.

I must say I love my Landcruiser- just so useful.

Loads of them in Ireland, but most are commercial registered with a blanking kit fitted to all the rear windows and a load platform over the whole back area. They used to be imported new with back seats and windows in and be converted locally. All the ones I've seen have the plain 3.0 163hp as fitted to the previous generation, and steel springs. They are still on a chassis.

I think they are slightly more delicate than earlier models but not a liability. @St.Judeseems to have been unlucky with his, but mainly with the upmarket extras an Irish farmer wouldn't want, or use in the case of a/c. They have gone over to the D-Max more now.

1 hour ago, lesapandre said:

I must say I love my Landcruiser- just so useful.

Yeah the tailgate was going pretty crispy. I don't know if the underside was any different. Think it might have been reasonable as he was debating whether to keep it. 

1 hour ago, artdjones said:

Loads of them in Ireland, but most are commercial registered with a blanking kit fitted to all the rear windows and a load platform over the whole back area. They used to be imported new with back seats and windows in and be converted locally. All the ones I've seen have the plain 3.0 163hp as fitted to the previous generation, and steel springs. They are still on a chassis.

I think they are slightly more delicate than earlier models but not a liability. @St.Judeseems to have been unlucky with his, but mainly with the upmarket extras an Irish farmer wouldn't want, or use in the case of a/c. They have gone over to the D-Max more now.

His was only on springs, no air struts. I don't know what engine apart from it was diesel (so not clean air zone compliant here) and £700 p/a tax band. 

What sort of price are you planning to ask? Regarding exporting to Africa, there used to be some guys near us doing it. They could get two 4x4s in a container. Before loading  them, they'd pack them full of stuff. Nappies and pasta seemed to be favourite, then pack loads more stuff round them, bikes etc.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:47 PM, SiC said:

I’d imagine that’d would’ve been an LC4/LC4 or Invincible. Most likely LC4 if those are leather I see in the window on my iPhone. So none of the air suspension mine has, and if the Invincible it’d have more power as it was a dealer thing to stick a box for the ECU to give it a bit more.

On 10/7/2023 at 4:51 PM, lesapandre said:

I must say I love my Landcruiser- just so useful - a sure thing in an uncertain world.

Yeah they’re on a ladder chassis. It’s the same as mine.

23 hours ago, SiC said:

His was only on springs, no air struts. I don't know what engine apart from it was diesel (so not clean air zone compliant here) and £700 p/a tax band. 

Now reading this, probs an LC4. It’d have been the same 3.0 D4-D diesel as mine.

22 hours ago, bezzabsa said:

so u want 4x4ish and roomy family car???

RX4 is what ya need then , especially the dizzel one

RENAULT Scenic RX4 specs - 2000, 2001, 2002, 2003 - autoevolution

Fuck I would. I would hard. Only seen one for sale and it’s a petrol. Although there is a non 4x4 Scienic in blue for £900 and it looks immaculate. Tempted by it tbh!

3 hours ago, Dobloseven said:

What sort of price are you planning to ask? Regarding exporting to Africa, there used to be some guys near us doing it. They could get two 4x4s in a container. Before loading  them, they'd pack them full of stuff. Nappies and pasta seemed to be favourite, then pack loads more stuff round them, bikes etc.

Hold on to your knickers - I’m going to stick it on for £8,500/8,750 but to give me room to take £8,000/8,250. So I know really I won’t be getting exporters knocking my door down for it, but it’s in the range of what’s on AutoTrader for the same age and spec, except mine has the new shocks, injectors, timing belt and air suspension. I could probably go higher.

One thing we do for my boy as he’s obsessed with cars (specifically tractors) is we buy a magazine called Classic Tractor (I think). Wife told me yesterday that they have a classified on it that sells everything including 4x4’s, so I’ll probably stick it in there too. Old school!

I did mention the potential for a Berlingo as we stopped off at Gloucester services and we were walking past one. Well, was a Peugeot (which I prefer tbh), but she didn’t appreciate it. It’s ugly and she’d prefer me with a Saab. Mentioned it to my sister today and she said the same thing (although said she couldn’t see me in a Saab and that she’d have thought I’d have gone with a Ford Mondeo).

This all taught me two valuable lessons: the main women in my life don’t know me, and a Berlingo is probably the best way for me to keep myself from being under the thumb!

Had it all cleaned. Look at it.

IMG_4093.thumb.jpeg.164ef633a7aeb17c59cfe1ad29957b1c.jpeg

IMG_4095.thumb.jpeg.4df63ebcd144825754c1080f21561974.jpeg

IMG_4092.thumb.jpeg.74cb32b0d93d23750b0adf7c89236bdb.jpeg

Paid(!) AutoTrader £46 for the advert to go up, so waiting on it to go live. Stuck it up for £9,750 - based on two cars of the same age and spec being £6,999 and £12,999.

Now, we wait.

• St.Jude changed the title to 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Whored out on AutoTrader
2 minutes ago, goosey said:

Looked like the pic was took at Habberley Valley car park nr Bewdley 

Ahh!

No, it’s the car park of a pretentious pub near me. Annoyingly I rushed there thinking it was going to rain as the black clouds were near, but nope. Nothing. And also forgot to add the hub caps on the rears!

On 06/10/2023 at 13:02, St.Jude said:

I know.

But think about it. Land Cruiser's are supposed to be the best 4x4 and I ended up with this hateful thing. It can't be any worse!!!

It comes to something when a 25 year Land Rover is looking like the more reliable choice!

2 hours ago, LoftyvRS said:

Looks like the car park of "The Crown"? 

Be honest - when I said pretentious pub you thought it was either The Crown or Lyttleton Arms and it's just because this has more trees that you guessed it right?

• 3 months later...

So, I suppose I should do an update.

Whatever happened on AutoTrader I didn't get anything. Not even a tyre kicker. I think the email got fucked up on it (as like an idiot I used Apple's "hide your email" and I don't think it worked). So I decided to keep it for the winter then hopefully/maybe punt it on in the spring/summer.

I would like to tell you all that something else has broken, or something else has died. However, for now at least, it's behaving itself. The parking sensors are bollocksed which resulted in me trading paint with a blue Skoda Octavia a few days before Christmas. No big deal, it literally is a scuff on both cars. The car just happened to belong to the parents of my wife's posh friend. Of all the f**king people!

Anyway, yesterday I changed the oil on it (no drama) and took it to another tyre place to look at the tracking. Whatever the last place did the car now drives in a straight line and it's now actually a little bit more enjoyable. Probably because it's going in a straight line and the oil change has had a placebo effect on my head to make me think everything is fine with it.

What have done though is put together the video of me doing the injectors finally. Which can be found here:

Jobs that are on the horizon (whether I keep it or not) is that the middle box has a hole in it so I might see about getting that welded (or do it myself), rear brake discs and pads, and maybe new tyres all round.

• St.Jude changed the title to 2006 Toyota Land Cruiser - Still Here, Somehow.