Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Astra SXi

Supernaut

• Supernaut changed the title to Supernaut's Cars - Collection Time!
8 minutes ago, inconsistant said:

Wishing you a smooth collection. Had any noteworthy bowel movements yet?

You can make your own guess based on the big mug of coffee with breakfast!

On train number two now. Badum-tish, number two...

For the benefit of our readers in the Greater Manchester area: I can find reverse just fine because I am not a tube.

I can provide an illustrated tutorial if needed. The key thing to remember is that on a manual, the gear stick goes sideways too!

1 hour ago, Supernaut said:

For the benefit of our readers in the Greater Manchester area: I can find reverse just fine because I am not a tube.

I can provide an illustrated tutorial if needed. The key thing to remember is that on a manual, the gear stick goes sideways too!

oi lol. when it was at the FoD, we could all get it into reverse, but if you as much as thought of moving your foot off the pedal, it'd stall... 

Drives fine for me. Throttle has a wee bit of slack but that is easily tweaked.

In other news, it picked up a battle scar already.

I was going into Tesco Northampton, as I exited the roundabout a Fiesta UNDERTOOK me and clipped me.

Wee scuff on the front left corner, no damage to lights, should buff out.

However they are missing a rubbing strip and dented their door.

They just lapped the car park and fucked off again...

I'm knackered, and I hate the Midlands.

At least it has a full tank now, and it's a new day tomorrow. This guesthouse is also properly fancy too.

Current progress:

IMG_20210925_131123497_1.thumb.jpg.f654e1446db78ea8916f96dda1747f00.jpg

Fuel efficient! Crap photo, but the trip counter reads 217.

Sitting at Tebay because tradition, old charter etc.

I forgot to post this earlier:

IMG_20210925_081554162_1.thumb.jpg.52dc063b7fb2470805c5119cb4143da3.jpg

Aye, the Fiesta came off worse. It's still better condition than the other E36s I've had.

At Rugby services I adjusted the throttle cable and topped up the tyres. It's far happier now.

• Supernaut changed the title to Supernaut's Cars - Axis of Idiocy
18 minutes ago, davidfowler2000 said:

Nicely reversed in to that space

Ach, dinnae tell them!

I had to push it. It kept stalling.

Anyway, any electrical experts in the house? The lighter socket on this doesn't currently work, this means I can neither charge my phone nor use my bluetooth adapter. I checked the relevant fuses and they're all fine and dandy. I even (accidentally) pulled the lighter socket itself out of the centre console, and the live and earth wires are firmly connected in the right places. Still nothing.

Could one theoretically put a multimeter across the outer shell and inner pin of the lighter socket and check the impedance to see if there is an open circuit?

38 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

The lighter socket on this doesn't currently work, this means I can neither charge my phone nor use my bluetooth adapter. I checked the relevant fuses and they're all fine and dandy.

I have heard rumour there may be a second in-line fuse in these. How far back along the wiring can you see? Check fuse and connections.

1 minute ago, davidfowler2000 said:

I have heard rumour there may be a second in-line fuse in these. How far back along the wiring can you see? Check fuse and connections.

That is intriguing.

I only saw a couple of inches of the wire. Didn't explore further.

43 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Could one theoretically put a multimeter across the outer shell and inner pin of the lighter socket and check the impedance to see if there is an open circuit?

Voltmeter from the live wire/inner pin to a known good earth - something metal on the steering column say, or back to the engine block or battery neg. and see if the live is actually live.  If it is, then voltmeter between the live and the earth wires will tell you whether the earth is actually going to earth.  No need for this impedance stuff.  Actually you can do it with a test lamp.

Lighter socket may be on a switched live. If you take a multimeter to it, check with the ignition on as well as off.

Alternatively, can you 'fix'it by using a different lighter socket. Sockets can be hidden under the centre armrest, in or behind the glove box, by the back seats or in the boot.