Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Astra SXi

Supernaut

Indeed.

The main issue is that I'm in a 2nd floor flat and have nowhere to keep wheels (other than in my spare room).

I know plenty of people nearby with units, but I'm not sure I'd get the wheels to one of them instantly. I mean, if I were to put the 15s on immediately I'd still have the 16" E46 wheels to store somewhere (and potentially sell).

I drove the Alfa Romeo for the first time in probably a fortnight today.

It's still a perfectly civilised little hatchback for running about in. It's just thirsty and incredibly reactive to every change in road surface. That behaviour would be fun in a sports car but it's just annoying in a hatchback.

It's still going up for sale once the paperwork is sorted, even though there's nothing actually wrong with it, I just want something civilised and relatively economical for bashing about in and using for general stuff and things.

I drove the 323i up the Gleneagles road yesterday, as a few people have mentioned how good it is. It was rather good. I even snapped a couple of photos outside the station there.

IMG_8348.thumb.jpg.5658993b9f0f1ccf9e803686aedc8eee.jpg

IMG_8350.thumb.jpg.2bfecf2ccc92210d3c0c573c1ff30824.jpg

Even though it's "only" 170hp it still makes me grin with the sheer amount of grunt it has. I've driven cars before that make more power as a headline figure, but usually from a smaller, more highly-strung engine. They're just nowhere near as fun as this.

The gear ratios are like a diesel, and 4th in the 323i is almost exactly the same as 5th in the Alfa, but it just goes from almost any RPM and sails right up to the top of the tachometer no bother. Hell, you can nudge the NSL in 2nd, and ripping it right out in 3rd is definitely illegal.

I'm embarrassed to admit that I only recently found the steering column adjustment too. Even though I've owned two other E36s! I've finally got the driving position just so. Now I can heel-toe it, things have got a bit more interesting...

Yes, I still need to do something about the wheels. Just out of curiosity I looked up prices on two sizes of tyres; If I were to go for a set of 15" wheels I'd need 205/60/R15 tyres. They're more expensive than 205/55/R16s which would be used on 16" wheels. Hmmm.

While it doesn't look offensively bad right now, a set of period correct 16s would be ideal, if any come up at a reasonable price. As is always the problem with old BMWs and parts associated with them... (Admittedly the pair of mirrors were only £40 so some wheels may not be too much)

One last thing. When I parked up the 323i yesterday, the odometer was sitting on 176,999...

IMG_20211021_173425012_1.jpg

👀

134dee60-5f55-45b9-ac4a-7d476ffcb308.png

My phone took a shart while trying to process the sunset so it's all a bit blurry but I'll post it anyway.

It is also now clean. I realised there was a jet wash bay directly opposite the Lidl I've only been shopping in since I moved down here... What an idiot.

IMG_8358.thumb.jpg.e78096e8fad2d2b2a3add3e40d779c04.jpg

IMG_8362.thumb.jpg.7d1bd7beff8d66034c9cd231009a9e57.jpg

380 miles on 50 litres of petrol.

34.5 mpg. That's... impressive from a 2.5 straight 6 driven by a moron.

That's also pretty much as good as (if not better than) the old 316i.

I celebrated its fuel economy by joining the A9 and going from 0-70 using only 1st, 2nd and 3rd.

In other news I have a couple of viewings lined up in the next few days, for vehicles for sale on these hallowed pages.

"Why not use the Alfa 147 as a winter car?" I hear you ask. It's twitchy, crashy, and shit on fuel. I genuinely doubt its ability to navigate Scottish roads in wintry conditions without spitting me off the road backwards. It's still going up for sale properly once I get a V5 through for it.

While the new rear tyres on it have definitely improved the twitchiness, it's still there, and still disconcerting. Scouring Alfa Romeo forums has turned up a case of TADTS.

• Supernaut changed the title to Supernaut's Cars - WBoD Collection

c5c912fa-aa88-4291-87c7-4dce857665c9.png

Smoll car is smoll.

It came with half a tank, and is now down to a quarter. I was utterly hoofing it up the A68, probably averaging 60mph most of the way. I did a few overtakes too, which must have been embarrassing for the victims.

It has better road manners than many much larger cars (that Alfa Romeo next to it included).

I shall do a more detailed report... tomorrow.

I need a rest and I think the car does too.

Also, buy more tickets for the Alfa, people! It's now off my insurance policy... Eek! It's parked well away from a public road so it's fiiiiine.

• Supernaut changed the title to Supernaut's Cars - 675

20211031_134107.jpg

Friends.

Then I let @reb drive it...

bf990de5-02ae-4997-b0b2-e81c6edb4a82.png

There's even mud on the roof.

205 lickers, I have a question though. How does one replace the instrument bulbs? Mine don't work, which is kind of inconvenient at this time of year.

I did over 100 miles today, and it's not even used quarter of a tank. Considering it's a 40 litre tank at best, that's pretty good going. Especially considering I drive it by kicking its cunt in absolutely everywhere.

There's a certain zen about driving this across the Fife and Clackmannanshire countryside in the autumn sunset as the evening mist rolls in, listening to stoner rock and overtaking dawdling SUVs.

14 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

20211031_134107.jpg

Friends.

Then I let @reb drive it...

bf990de5-02ae-4997-b0b2-e81c6edb4a82.png

There's even mud on the roof.

205 lickers, I have a question though. How does one replace the instrument bulbs? Mine don't work, which is kind of inconvenient at this time of year.

You remove the entire dash, then simply pop the clocks out, snap the Speedo drive, then pull the old bulbs out, then push new ones in and rebuild everything.  

Just now, juular said:

I love this. I really do need a 205 in my life at some point soon.

You (or anybody else) are welcome to have a go of it.

Admittedly I imagine you've already had a go of @Lacquer Peel's one, which is the reason I bought this one blind!

It's certainly no motorway bruiser, the BMW is definitely the champion at that. However, it's so sure-footed and nimble on A-roads while still managing to float along. I battered it up the farm track at Reb's unit earlier at about 20mph no problem, it just soaked it all up. In comparison I drive the BMW up the same track at barely more than walking pace.

• Supernaut changed the title to Supernaut's Cars - 675 - 147 = 528

As folk may see in @Tickman's thread, the Alfa is now gone. Thus the thread title change.

I now only have 323 + 205, which makes 528.

The 323 is the subject of an exciting recall to do with a join in the steering column. Booked into the local BMW dealer for the 24th.

The 205 is booked into a local shite-friendly garage to get the front wheel bearings and front lower arms fitted this Thursday.

Well then.

I found a lovely chap on eBay who was willing to courier these to me from Bristol:

s-l1600.png?width=1173&height=570

I got them for an absolute steal, even including the courier costs.

I know they're not the 'correct' M-tech double-spoke wheels to match the spare in the car, but they were significantly cheaper, are still 16", and look sooo 1990s. They're apparently off an E36 compact.