Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Astra SXi

Supernaut

Got home about 5 hours ago now.

I set trip B when we left Stirling last Saturday.

image.thumb.png.3c2ea384dc952d544ad25b8617d963ae.png

Aye, that'll do. The poor thing badly needs a wash but I'm knackered and a few drinks in now.

That was about 2 and a bit tanks' worth. I fill up at a quarter out of habit. Expensive! Not helped by diesel seemingly jumping up by 10p per litre between the 2nd and 3rd fills!

The first fill was in Stirling the day before leaving, then two down south. One on Sunday then another yesterday. Between Sunday and yesterday was the (at least) 10p per litre hike!

Hell, when we stopped at Tebay for lunch I noticed that both petrol and diesel were identically priced. 199.9 per litre. 🙃

I know people have mixed opinions on Avon tyres, but...

unknown.png?width=819&height=614

A full set of these all seasons were less than a year's road tax on the BMW, thanks to a discount code National Tyres are doing right now. 15% off a set of 4x Avons, Firestones or Michelins.

They were also significantly cheaper than a used set of 16" Honda alloys with used winter tyres on them. Honda wheels - and parts in general - seem to be made of gold dust with the prices people ask for them.

While the tyres previously on the car were perfectly adequate in tread depth terms, they were budgets from some brand I've already forgotten the name of. These are silent in comparison and, crucially, are all-season tyres complete with the mountain/snowflake symbol. Useful for visiting Aberdeenshire later in the year. Admittedly, the 323i did well up over Glen Shee back on Christmas Eve in several inches of snow on Uniroyal Rainsports... 🤣

The lad fitting the tyres said I should get some new locking wheel nuts, as mine are corroded and getting difficult to deal with.

Before:

unknown.png

After:

unknown.png

That was a couple of minutes with a flat blade screwdriver cleaning out the channel, then a good going over with a wire brush. There was surface corrosion on the outer circumference, causing them to be a bit sticky in the socket. Not any more. I also cleaned out the socket too.

Saved myself £25+, and that price is for a set of second hand ones on ebay that look worse than mine now do!

• 3 weeks later...

I popped along to Glamis Castle today for the Scottish Transport Extravaganza.

Some highlights:

IMG_8940.thumb.jpg.57f481c4852c041dda876f57a80b542e.jpg

IMG_8942.thumb.jpg.904f761f0e7e4bea72e9806069fafcd4.jpg

IMG_8943.thumb.jpg.b38865a581c91a441e0c0bcf133d44ea.jpg

IMG_8955.thumb.jpg.27633f4cc95815ed61135c4f76d2ff36.jpg

IMG_8947.thumb.jpg.f12800d8eda3e2a34423a9c7321cdb18.jpg

IMG_8945.thumb.jpg.245e1be69ebb8695c05c4fda103d1200.jpg

IMG_8959.thumb.jpg.254d6f3e883582891c2b4f7dfd174f6c.jpg

IMG_8956.thumb.jpg.6f552c83c97480434b5d806ade8d1870.jpg

IMG_8957.thumb.jpg.aecb9c063c2e8a1a28eec4f3e8fc178d.jpg

IMG_8958.thumb.jpg.a87e65053dd5c2c5dc06c71c9a061572.jpg

IMG_8960.thumb.jpg.8d87dd0623cf0c3354053d447594a743.jpg

IMG_8964.thumb.jpg.913f04adce5d8842337552535e69939f.jpg

IMG_8965.thumb.jpg.91a76e7cd901c92bc67ae616ba83135d.jpg

IMG_8966.thumb.jpg.869a1f6037c99d221648e342b9a99fa6.jpg

IMG_8963.thumb.jpg.ffb51cf0fe61e792b032b1299720b3dd.jpg

IMG_8954.thumb.jpg.1ca8c6f1e0febfe8d36e8afea01a77d5.jpg

I came back via the A94 then down Dunning Glen. The Civic has a surprising turn of speed if I keep it on boost and ignore the eco gauge. Dare I say it's basically as quick as the 323i...

IMG_20220712_195414531.thumb.jpg.7a6492f47ed121eb99c59b8aba3af857.jpg

That is a BMW radiator. That is water coming out of it.

I'm at home now after a taxi ride. The car is parked two villages away.

Old BMWs and dodgy cooling systems. What a classic combo.

I'm taking the civic to shitefest then!

Progress!

@Lacquer Peel came to visit yesterday, and we went to look at my stricken BMW.

First, we attempted to pour some water in the radiator:

unknown.png?width=801&height=601

Nah.

I then remembered I had an Autoaid membership.

Half an hour later a bored recovery driver with a 17.5 ton truck based just round the corner turned up. She said it was better than sitting in the office, and was quite complimentary on the car.

Said truck also had a blowing exhaust and went like fuck. It sounded hilarious, full-on turbo whistle, and LP was giving his van almost full-shoe just to keep up.

All-in, it was about an hour in total from calling Autoaid to parking the car outside the flat.

Even better, @jaypee had a brand new in box E36 radiator just sitting around and handed it to me when I saw him yesterday evening.

I still need to acquire some coolant. Technically I could fix it today and have it ready for shitefest tomorrow, but I'm still just going to take the Civic.

New radiator installed yesterday, complete with the 4-pot (lower temperature) switch for the electric fan, with the help of @davidfowler2000, @juular and @Lacquer Peel

At least it isn't trying to cook itself now.

However, it's developed a fun* noise from underneath. It, seemingly at completely random intervals, makes a rather significant thump from about halfway along the car that I can feel through the floor. It first made a similar noise when I was rolling it backwards off the recovery truck with the engine off. I thought nothing of it, as I thought one of the blocks in the car park was loose. Hmm. Perhaps I can't ignore it now.

Confidence levels in this car are currently in negative figures. I can barely bring myself to drive it out of the car park.

2 hours ago, Back_For_More said:

Iirc - I haven't been under the e46 for ages - these have a rubber vibration damper halfway along the prop. Could be shagged or a bolt out.... 

Yeah, the propshaft donut did occur to me... How much of a PITA are they to replace?

57 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Yeah, the propshaft donut did occur to me... How much of a PITA are they to replace?

Mine was 1 bolt had dropped out and 2nd was loose - bolted it back up and all good. 

Iirc it's mounted in a metal frame - haven't needed to swap 1 yet sorry. *kiss if doughnut death right there 

2 hours ago, Supernaut said:

Disclaimer - I know nothing about BMWs

Is that an E46? If so, I gained a complete propshaft for one with a Disco chassis I bought. It was going in the scrap pile, but if anyone wants it?

5 minutes ago, Saabnut said:

Disclaimer - I know nothing about BMWs

Is that an E46? If so, I gained a complete propshaft for one with a Disco chassis I bought. It was going in the scrap pile, but if anyone wants it?

Mine is an E36, unfortunately.

• 2 weeks later...

Action shot!

Thanks to @320touring, a gentleman and a scholar with far more experience of shite old BMWs than I have, I know what I need to order.

Handbrake mechanisms. The offside had completely eaten itself, pinging and clanging on each rotation of the wheels.

So for now it has no handbrake on the offside, however it's drivable without the catastrophic noises. Silly drum-in-disc handbrakes.

Fukt:

unknown.png?width=451&height=601

It appears to have a functioning cooling system again.

I had to refer to the arcane rituals for bleeding an M52 correctly, but got there in the end.

Most of the delay was my own head telling me not to drive it so I don't cook it. If I don't drive it, it can't overheat. Simple logic.

I also can't fix it if I don't drive it though.

It now only ejects liquid (rather than air) out of the bleed screw at the top of the radiator, and holds temperature even out on the open road while getting a bit of shoe.

My eyes will forever remain hyper-focussed on that little gauge to the right-hand side of the cluster though.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

Thanks to an entire afternoon of work the other weekend, assisted by Lacquer Peel, the BMW has a functional handbrake.

It's booked in for an MOT next Saturday.

Today I turned my attention to the civic. I knew the rear brakes were a bit shite, but I have some rear discs and a left rear caliper in the cupboard. Today I picked up a set of rear pads too.

I took the left rear wheel off and realised the caliper currently on the car is a ball of rust. Even better* is that the handbrake does nothing at all on that side, it's seized solid. Explains why it's so crap then.

I guess I need to swap the caliper at some point before November then. I can already tell it'll be a battle. The right rear looks in fine condition, but the left looks like it's been in the North Sea for some reason.

On 05/09/2022 at 20:54, Split_Pin said:

I fitted the right rear one when I had it, easy enough job.

How does the handbrake cable come out, then?

I had a look earlier this afternoon and this was the result:

IMG_20220909_173644714.jpg?width=801&hei

Some bits of BMW have arrived.

Two entire front wishbones with all balljoints and bushings already attached to them.

Inner and outer track rod ends for both sides, plus ARB drop links too.

All Meyle HD in one kit that was cheaper than buying the parts I needed individually.

However, first of all it'll be getting dropped off with the local Central Belt Welder tomorrow. Then on Saturday I'm fucking off on holiday for over a week! 🤣