Supernaut's Cars - 323i / Megane

Supernaut

I just tried to replace the right-hand engine mount on the 205 during my lunch break.

I got this far:

1626248247_205enginemount1.thumb.jpeg.46b6e980c4e582689f412e73870801e5.jpeg

How is it held in from the bottom though?

I just bolted it back together again.

1471797456_205enginemount2.thumb.jpeg.7664c9d71510895feddd459881d1b3e5.jpeg

I reckon it needs replaced though. I could bend it by hand. The new one is far stiffer. I decided to do the easiest* one first as this one just* bolts in and isn't pressed in like the others.

2 minutes ago, reb said:

You need to tap it round using a punch on the notches. The one on the gearbox end isn't pressed in, but you need to support the gearbox when you take it out.

Aha.

That sounds a bit noisy, too noisy for a car park outside a block of flats. Especially with it right outside somebody else's kitchen window. Good to know about the gearbox one. I might see if I can find one of them on ebay for as cheap as this one was (about £3 or so with free postage).

10 minutes ago, Supernaut said:

Aha.

That sounds a bit noisy, too noisy for a car park outside a block of flats. Especially with it right outside somebody else's kitchen window. Good to know about the gearbox one. I might see if I can find one of them on ebay for as cheap as this one was (about £3 or so with free postage).

Can you wind on two nuts and try to undo the inside one? A bit like removing an exhaust manifold stud.

On 12/7/2021 at 8:45 AM, Cookiesouwest said:

When Honda did the recall for window switch pack on our two 2005 CRVs, they didn't offer a courtesy car. But they did let me book 1hr timeslot.

And they did it within the hour and didn't try selling me anything.

I got a letter through for that switch on my CRV last week, in all honestly I can't be arsed bringing it to them 😂

On 12/8/2021 at 2:15 PM, Supernaut said:

Aha.

You will only need a couple of sharp taps to get it moving then you can undo it by hand.  You could swap top two in half an hour no problem.  Third needs the driveshaft removed to replace though.

On 9/18/2021 at 6:18 PM, Supernaut said:

I was at a loose end today.

So... I went for a drive, ended up in the glen where Skyfall was filmed, and Glen Coe itself too.

The road awaits you, 007. Wait, what are you doing in a small Italian hatchback?

IMG_8331.jpg

IMG_8323.jpg

Took some without the car too!

IMG_8332.jpg

IMG_8343.jpg

IMG_8336.jpg

I'd dare say this scenery is right up there with the likes of Oregon, Alberta and Switzerland.

There were long periods where almost my entire field of view above the road was just filled with looming mountains, somewhat similar to my experiences in those places.

Catching up on this thread.  This is my absolute favourite place in the world to drive and is probably the thing I miss most about Scotland. Beautiful. 

I got two of the engine mounts on the 205 done earlier, with help from @reb

It drives a lot nicer now. However it has some heat problems. The heater works but the radiator is mostly cold, even more worrying is that the cooling fan comes on after a few miles of driving and just stays on. The coolant was low but I topped it up. The heater is even better but the rad is still cold apart from the area near the top hose...

IMG_20211211_163020096.thumb.jpg.6f9ba8af7ac6e0fae097734f0729bb1c.jpg

Does your 205 get parked in Grangemouth? I saw a very similar one parked in Talbot street a few weeks ago. I only saw it from the back tho. 
You E36 is looking awesome. An old friends Dad bought a compact Sport brand new with those wheels. Funnily enough from from Stirling BMW when it was Menzies. 

8 minutes ago, Cheezey said:

Does your 205 get parked in Grangemouth? I saw a very similar one parked in Talbot street a few weeks ago. I only saw it from the back tho. 
You E36 is looking awesome. An old friends Dad bought a compact Sport brand new with those wheels. Funnily enough from from Stirling BMW when it was Menzies. 

The one on Talbot Street is mine. 😜

13 hours ago, Supernaut said:

I got two of the engine mounts on the 205 done earlier, with help from @reb

It drives a lot nicer now. However it has some heat problems. The heater works but the radiator is mostly cold, even more worrying is that the cooling fan comes on after a few miles of driving and just stays on. The coolant was low but I topped it up. The heater is even better but the rad is still cold apart from the area near the top hose...

IMG_20211211_163020096.thumb.jpg.6f9ba8af7ac6e0fae097734f0729bb1c.jpg

Blocked radiator? Bad thermostat?

38 minutes ago, DodgyBastard said:

I might have a spare radiator, definitely have a 305 and a bx diesel radiator.

That may or may not be needed... yet.

Things just got even stranger this morning. I started it from cold, and it idled just fine. As soon as I moved it, the fan kicked in. Everything was still absolutely stone cold. This suggests it's actually over-cooling rather than over-heating at this point.

I'm debating unplugging the fan switch and seeing if it will get up to temperature, but is the fan switch the one on the thermostat housing or is it hidden elsewhere?

On 12/7/2021 at 8:43 AM, DodgyBastard said:

I'm not sure why you'd bother with any main dealer recall, in my limited experience they will poke at your car and tell you it's knackered and you should buy a new one.

Nah. I've been in Bowkers BMW in Blackburn loads of times (in my overalls to collect parts) and their sales force have never spoken to me yet 😁

12 minutes ago, Cheezey said:

Ha ha, I don’t know whether to be surprised or not that it belongs to someone from AS. 

Lacquer Peel's car is why I bought this one! I had a go of his and was surprised at how pleasant it was to drive.

His one looks ace with the white wheels though, mine are black.

1 hour ago, jmsguzzi said:

I just replaced the thermostat a few months back to try and cure the fan kicking in all the time but it didn’t change owt. It definitely prematurely kicks in, never had a problem with the car overheating even when climbing the Buttertubs pass in blistering heat.

I don't know whether to investigate further or file under 'ignore' then.

I'm a bit self conscious driving it around town with the fan howling away unnecessarily, and there must be something not quite right for it to be doing this.

11 hours ago, Split_Pin said:

The fan switch should be screwed into one side of the radiator, it sounds like its gone a bit senile.

Aye. I'm looking into fan switches now.

They aren't expensive (circa £10 give or take), but there are two types of connection listed! I wish the front end of a 205 wasn't quite so compact. Getting in to have a look at the side of the rad might be difficult!

The 205 is still clunking from underneath.

Could be the lower engine mount, could be the exhaust.

I have a new fan switch but it looks like the rad needs to come out to do it. The fan is still playing silly buggers. It doesn't always come on unnecessarily though.

Anybody want a 205? I've spent almost 50% on top of the purchase price and it's still irritating me. That brown Avensis is very tempting.

IMG_20211216_090303902.thumb.jpg.c50ea07db8f1c015721ce1703a9c5e85.jpg

IMG_20211216_090316257.thumb.jpg.55b3f0699934e2e96ad7be52a9a144e4.jpg

IMG_20211216_090324795.thumb.jpg.2d7ef3d19fc43a849b5a813289dd9fab.jpg

IMG_20211216_090334526.thumb.jpg.9c89bcffc8e7e944b2dfeb4ef435597d.jpg

IMG_20211216_090340963.thumb.jpg.f11b0ab64df85fee37e226da8b0450e0.jpg

108k miles, MOT until August '22. £700.

• Supernaut changed the title to Supernaut's Cars: Anybody want a 205?
4 minutes ago, PrinceRupert said:

When mine was clunking I thought it was the exhaust and it was the gearbox mount.  Super easy to change.  

Edit: oh i see youve changed those and no luck

Indeed. I did the gearbox mount and the top engine mount (on the driver's side wing) already.

I just haven't done the lower rear one due to the O/S driveshaft going through the mount, thus making it a PITA.