Another day another breakdown always poo!

doubleyeller

27 minutes ago, sutty2006 said:

Is that the auxiliary belt? Hopefully so, because if it’s camshaft pulley it’s a dead engine. 

It's hard to tell from those pics  but is not camshaft pulley as that's the back of the engine and a chain.

5 hours ago, garbaldy said:

It's hard to tell from those pics  but is not camshaft pulley as that's the back of the engine and a chain.

Yeah exactly. Timing belts are almost always hidden/unaccessible without removing half the car first.  

1 hour ago, sutty2006 said:

Yeah exactly. Timing belts are almost always hidden/unaccessible without removing half the car first.  

depends if you have a longitudinally mounted engine - on the Douvrins in the R20/R25s you could just unscrew a cover at the front of the engine and inspect your belt.

12 hours ago, doubleyeller said:

depends if you have a longitudinally mounted engine - on the Douvrins in the R20/R25s you could just unscrew a cover at the front of the engine and inspect your belt.

How much is involved in changing the belt on a 25?2 litre, 8valve.Thinking of doing mine. I know it's been changed in the past, because Malcolm, the PO, gave me the old one, but when though? The HBOL is a bit vague and the one I've got is for the 1st phase models anyway. 

Just now, Dobloseven said:

How much is involved in changing the belt on a 25?2 litre, 8valve.Thinking of doing mine. I know it's been changed in the past, because Malcolm, the PO, gave me the old one, but when though? The HBOL is a bit vague and the one I've got is for the 1st phase models anyway. 

It's an absolute piece of piss!

Last time I had it done on an R20 TS it was a total of 1 hour labour + VAT + belt = £65 ish

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/19/2021 at 8:40 PM, Nyphur said:

You probably passed the "is he a fuckin great weapon?" test with flying colours, so didn't get the price tripled. Doubleyeller was were not so lucky it seems.

Yes but Doubleyellerai agree with Kerr Hardie's proposition: "A fair day's work for a fair days pay"

Still, if you don't care for the welfare of your fellow (wo)man /others  then there are deals to be had in race to the bottom Britain!