Cobblers's VW T25 Syncro Doka

cobblers

12 hours ago, cobblers said:

Already own three vans? Why not buy another!!

409284764_2022-04-2619_28_50.thumb.jpg.c2c5867684537ad1d397bde1d806baa6.jpg

1187752699_2022-04-2619_07_00.thumb.jpg.b5ef13ea44308768f5a456d58e62f6f9.jpg

This one is 4WD, DSG and I fucking love it. It's my work van and will be getting lifted 90mm this weekend. It won't be a camper or owt though.

Is yours the bi-turbo?

18 minutes ago, cobblers said:

Yes, but the euro5 180bhp. It really shifts, but the DSG is sluggish when pulling away from a standstill.

Is it restricted because of the van EURO5 stuff? My mate has one as a car and I think that's 204? Could be wrong though.

The euro 6 one came about 4 months after this one was made and is the more powerful 204bhp one, I think it's a different engine entirely but AFAIK they can suffer from an issue with the EGR cooler corroding inside and filling the compression chambers with grit which knackers the bores so I wasn't too upset to lose the extra 24bhp!

14 minutes ago, cobblers said:

The euro 6 one came about 4 months after this one was made and is the more powerful 204bhp one, I think it's a different engine entirely but AFAIK they can suffer from an issue with the EGR cooler corroding inside and filling the compression chambers with grit which knackers the bores so I wasn't too upset to lose the extra 24bhp!

That will be the one he has then as he's always worried about it shitting itself.

1274162516_2022-04-3016_24_00.thumb.jpg.57a9fd2f38afefaa14c7ffaf02323627.jpg

Anyone who tells you it takes two hours to change the suspension on a t6 is a liar! What a task!

It's now got bilstein/H&R 35mm lift stuff on, and it's really nice to drive and can take speedbumps nearly as well as the T25.

Not sure if the 40k mile 5 year old H&Rs I took off give me a lot of confidence in the ones I've just fitted

560642112_2022-04-3016_25_16.thumb.jpg.41549bb09dcf4b4c8533c54829291a88.jpg

I took the t6 to get the tracking done and while it was up on the ramps we noticed the fucking prop shaft centre bearing was hanging off!!!

210095318_2022-05-0515_45_30.thumb.jpg.58bef82f7d25157cb4f7c145a3dc115e.jpg

One bolt gone, and the other had about three threads left! It's testament to modern german quality that A: this was falling off and B: Even when driving the van purposefully listening out for any strange noise after fitting the suspension, I heard nothing.

I think the previous owner might have had the bolts out to get the undertray off when removing some seats. Glad I caught it though, it was literally a few miles away from causing some serious drama (and my next drive was going to be at 70/80mph for 30 miles!)

Anyway despite the van going from -55mm lowered to +35mm highererrred, everything was perfectly well within tolerance somehow, but he tweaked the rear toe a little.

T25 was dropped off in Beverley on Saturday morning for a spot of welding, just a few bubbles near the rear jacking points but I might as well get it sorted properly so there's fill inner and outer sill panels in the back, just in case 🤕

Just don't have the time or space to do it myself at the moment - I can do a decent job but it would take me a week to do a days worth that an actual skilled fabricator can do.

No photo description available.

Fingers crossed he won't uncover too many horrors. I didn't take it to the pillock who cut the sill off my Talbot before looking at the repair panel and deciding it wasn't big enough.

I had missed driving it, and 2 hours on the motorway was noisy but surprisingly pleasurable, apart from going over the massive bridge on the M62 near howden - I'm scared of heights and there was roadworks on so we were on the hard shoulder, and in a lifted LHD truck I was sat well above the barrier and looking right over the edge into the huge drop, serious sweaty palms!!!

Onto the T6, I was advised to do a haldex oil change as VW never do it, but it's usually ready after 30k miles. The oil came out minging and look at the filter! Totally clarted up!

1974787180_2022-05-0811_25_25.thumb.jpg.b2e8e8a67b775ad833ffae5b6a7f20a9.jpg

I did a re-teach after the oil swap and tested it on gravel and it's definitely a lot keener to kick in than before, which is good.

Oh and I fitted the wheel arch trims:

539220876_2022-05-0718_02_03.thumb.jpg.c739afcf996414f2114c8977bec1d2a7.jpg

1131714111_2022-05-0818_59_31.thumb.jpg.c9126d905be891db9c0d0757692edf08.jpg

• cobblers changed the title to Cobblers's VW T25 Syncro Doka and other 4WD VW transporters - MEDIC

Well, that escalated quickly!

The most solid T25 I've seen outside of a museum (and the fabricator agreed it was mostly amazingly solid) suffers from Doka syndrome, and a few bubbles turned into a big old job. 
I've had grotty vans that were much better here, I presume it's just a trap for inches of muck on a doka.

Some slight rust holes that most people would have fibreglassed or plated over:

turns into

Most people would have just patched the holes and painted it up, but this van is staying with me for the foreseeable so I told him to really get to the bottom of it.

Look at that! Inches of mud packed in behind the panel, no wonder it's rusty!

This is becoming quite expensive, but for once I am confident I have the right man on the job, I would be out of my depth by now.

The other side is the same, but worse!

15 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

How can mud get in there? And this one has probably in his life in Sweden seen a lot of gravel roads and construction roads possible that is the source?

That bit would usually be covered inside a van behind the plywood lining with to way for dust or mud to get in, but on a Doka the top of it is open to the engine bay with the added on pickup bed above, so over time dust and dirt gets in with no way to see it or really clean it out

1 hour ago, cobblers said:

That bit would usually be covered inside a van behind the plywood lining with to way for dust or mud to get in, but on a Doka the top of it is open to the engine bay with the added on pickup bed above, so over time dust and dirt gets in with no way to see it or really clean it out

How do you stop it happening again then man?

8 hours ago, cobblers said:

This is a pretty stupid mistake from VW. But great you get it fixed correctly by someone who can.