Cobblers's VW T25 Syncro Doka and most of a Syncro Panel Van as well.

cobblers

This was sold new in an area in Sweden where until recently at least they did not salt the roads in the winter. And the climate is dry inland climate so cars rust little there so this is a good buy! Østersund, Sveg and Strømsund are towns and villages where the dealer Berners had branches.

5 minutes ago, Dyslexic Viking said:

This was sold new in an area in Sweden where until recently at least they did not salt the roads in the winter. And the climate is dry inland climate so cars rust little there so this is a good buy! Østersund, Sveg and Strømsund are towns and villages where the dealer Berners had branches.

Thanks for this info! - I had presumed it must have been something along those lines as it has no right to be such a solid van for something that had been used for 260000km. 

And have a little more for you. ångermanålvens vattenregleringsföretag was the first owner and gets it in translation to and become a water regulation company. And it was stationed i believe in Strømsund. 

Hope you understand place names and such as I write as we Norwegians and Swedes have letters that are the same, but different in appearance.

Yes, they're getting quite silly now - seeing the way the values are going it was definitely a case of now or never. I sold my Caravelle GL a few years ago for (iirc) £3k. Similar vans are approaching 5 figures now. 

When I started seeing them on album covers and stuff I realised that they were no longer the "only vw van I could afford" which is how I've always viewed them.

10 hours ago, HMC said:

Presumably this body design is more refined than a “normal” T25 as the passenger compartment is more isolated from the engine compartment, if you follow me. 

The body design does lend itself to being a bit quieter than a panel van, but the tyre design puts paid to that! It's a noisy old bugger, and the syncro drivetrain does seem to transmit a bit more driveline whine into the cabin too.

These flat 4 engines are actually really smooth and even in a panel van, on idle you'd often be excused for not knowing it's running, and once you're moving it's quite a strange noise that I could only really compare to a large fan or something. It's actually really hard to judge the engine RPM while driving, to the point where I am making serious negotiations into buying a set of clocks with a revcounter, for a predictably extortionate price.

On 8/14/2021 at 6:22 PM, cobblers said:

the "only vw van I could afford" which is how I've always viewed them.

That's how I always saw the LT, and even they are creeping up. Although I was never specifically after a VW, just tempted by the sound of the engine! Seems like they're accepted as part of the T25 'scene' now as I always get a wave (rarely from Bays or Splits).

I went on some "off roads" today for a bit, and have got used to driving LHD stuff to the point where it only feels a little bit like I'm either having a stroke or in that episode of red dwarf where everything is backwards

Vqk08M.gif.85b45e96c12746112625ff22dd83c759.gif

2034652429_2021-08-1514_29_05.thumb.jpg.d61615d652e46d1d0b67f54ad766b50e.jpg

1222221022_2021-08-1514_29_24.thumb.jpg.641197528b8e91d60d92c765925ec66f.jpg

1977736660_2021-08-1514_29_44.thumb.jpg.958eccac9088ef56f50d53fa3d400797.jpg

The fox suspension does seem to be quite tolerant of leathering it through big potholes and whatnot.

I've never had a gripe with t25 brakes, they've always seemed plenty. IIRC the synchro brakes are even smaller than the normal ones for some reason, but it stops perfectly well. The tyres probably help if anything - they've got such a lot of rolling resistance that you barely need the brakes at all.

I thought I'd have the ECU apart on this (because that's my thing, I suppose) and make sure it's healthy, plus add an immobiliser. 

It was a bit corroded on the end and had just the beginnings of water ingress:

1897837970_2021-08-1617_56_37.thumb.jpg.82bfca4a1a9cda174ff8b1da5a77e9d5.jpg324334260_2021-08-1617_55_40.thumb.jpg.9420428e1ea534e9e5f8e795410f1d50.jpg

Someone has been here before:

172998924_2021-08-1618_14_37.thumb.jpg.ef407ba116bb07819f6eaa0d8c67176a.jpg

That's the transistor that drives the idle air control valve, if I remember correctly. I had to replace it on the last T25 I owned.

The aly casting was a bit grotty:

271920328_2021-08-1618_15_06.thumb.jpg.fec7a61729c348172cff37a1d58f4d3c.jpg

1410515044_2021-08-1618_15_08.thumb.jpg.87c3b68077ca2249173d20ba8b11268d.jpg

So I spent a few minutes in the media blaster and cleaned it up nice, before etc prime and some nice grey paint

1945832277_2021-08-1618_18_38.thumb.jpg.e9218aa077cc88d79f9ce32fa0209fcb.jpg

No major horrors inside, a few minor dry joints and one very bad one:

346677455_2021-08-1618_21_42.thumb.jpg.d201b6225cad80eefb46a0b92d6f7d71.jpg

I went over anything suspect looking, 

1613748877_2021-08-1618_34_36.thumb.jpg.b926639e4be552bf5e28f8c7174bf68c.jpg

and added a remote immobiliser

255159249_2021-08-1716_12_05.thumb.jpg.1e1def4eaff58a008de9c1b3f42ef4a4.jpg

Not my neatest work, but it's very much a case of "Cobblers's kids shoes" when I spend all day making a real nice job on other peoples stuff (that they will never ever look inside) and then rush my own stuff because I've only got half an hour to get it finished.

Anyway the immobiliser just cuts power to the ECU internally after the ignition key has been off for more than about 20 seconds. A remote control button re-enables it. 

Jobs a goodun:

1092654822_2021-08-1716_16_10.thumb.jpg.b655a11861e577ae31e9eb2d903d9bf9.jpg

Also I've been looking at truck bed cover things for this, so I can use it to go camping with some ease if it snows a lot ever again. There's just one for sale, it's £730, the pictures are shite, it's missing all the fitting hardware, the latches and hinges are fucked and it needs quite significant fibreglass repair and complete repaint

image.thumb.png.9356a849e7b753fb3a7f4574d5efb615.png

I'll give it a miss.

I'll see if I can measure up to find one off something else that'll fit.

• cobblers changed the title to Cobblers's VW T25 Syncro Doka and most of a Syncro Panel Van as well.

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

• Similar Content

• By 320touring
      A long time ago, in a galaxy far away, The Burd and I went to see the Skizzer to start getting a MK1 Golf Convertible that had been off the road for 10years..
      After a couple of sessions in deepest darkest Wales , coupled with some sterling help and fettling by Skizzer himself, it was time for us to head down and bring the thing back up.

This went well:
      New tyres were procured and fitted

The in-game tank pump was pulled out and a new filter fitted

Then I got in touch with my Inuit side, using brand new* magnets to undertake "tank shite" fishing

A full check over and a couple of test drives showed it fit to play.
      We set off for sunny Oswestry, only to have both front calipers sticking after 120 miles. Some water and time to collect down saw them free off and cause no further problems.

Upon getting just past Tebay, it started running rough - nicking into Todhills rest area and luzzing in 10L of fuel had it running bang on for the next 70miles before it died.
      This was the final scene on the way home.

I got to bed at 00:45, and left it to sit until today.
    • By SiC
      So to recap. After a painfully long time (well a month) I finally bought a MGB GT.

I've always fancied one and after seeing one at a local garage (which turned out to be a bit shit) the urge sprang up again. Anyway after a lot of searching I ended up with this. Seems pretty straight and underneath don't appear to not been welded too much. Worst point that I've found in the leaf spring mount. I'm not going to cover all the different things and stuff just yet as its already in the thread, so I shouldn't make this too long!

I've not owned a car this old and never something with a carburettor. So I don't quite know what I'm doing with a lot of this, and will have plenty of questions! Part of the reason why I bought it was so I had something that I could fiddle with and learn on. As the other thread got a bit long, I thought it would be a better idea to split and start here.
    • By Zelandeth
      Well I've been meaning to sign up here in forever, but kept forgetting. Thanks to someone over on another forum I frequent poking me about it recently the subject was forced back into my very brief attention span for long enough to get me to act on the instruction.

I figure that my little varied fleet might bring you lot some amusement...

So...we've got:

1993 Lada Riva 1.5E Estate (now fuel injected, as I reckon the later cars should have been from the factory...).
      1989 Saab 900i Automatic.
      1987 Skoda 120LX 21st Anniversary Special Edition.
      1985 Sinclair C5.
      2009 Peugeot 107 Verve.

Now getting the photos together has taken me far longer than I'd expected...so you're gonna get a couple of photos of each car for now, and I'll come back with some more information tomorrow when I've got a bit more time...

Firstly...The Lada. Before anyone asks - in response to the single question I get asked about this car: No, it is not for sale. Took me 13 years and my father's inheritance to find the thing.

Yes, it's got the usual rusty wings...Hoping that will be resolved in the next couple of months.

Next, a proper old Saab. One of the very last 8 valve cars apparently, and all the better for it. I've driven two 16v autos and they were horrible - the auto box works sooooo much better with the torque curve of the 8 valve engine. Just wish it had an overdrive for motorway cruising...

Next up a *real* Skoda...back when they put the engine where it belongs, right out the back. In the best possible colour of course...eye-searingly bright orange.

Seat covers have been added since that photo was taken as it suffers from the usual rotting seat cloth problem that affects virtually all Estelles.

Then we have possibly the world's scruffiest Sinclair C5...

Realised when looking for this that I really need to get some more photos of the thing...I use it often enough after all! We have a dog who's half husky, so this is a really good way of getting him some exercise.

Finally - again, I really need to take more photos of - we have the little Pug 107.

Included for the sake of variety even if it's a bit mainstream! First (and probably to be the only) new car I've bought, and has been a cracking little motor and has asked for very little in return for putting up with nearly three years of Oxford-Milton Keynes commuter traffic, before finally escaping that fate when my housemate moved to a new job. Now it doesn't do many miles and is my default car for "when I've managed to break everything else."

I'll fill in some more details tomorrow - I warn you though that I do tend to ramble...
    • By robinmasters
      Yes, one of those. You've seen the car before, and I've already used up my best jokes (so I'll repeat them).

An epic journey, including:

- THREE COUNTIES

- THAT LONDON

- TRAINS

- SHANKS' PONY

- And possibly a pastry-encased but disappointing meal
    • By captain_70s
      Hullo,

I'm a masochist from Leeds who is running two rusty, worn out Triumph Dolomites as my only transport in rural Aberdeenshire. You might recognise me from various other forums and Facebook groups. Realistically I need to buy a modern car of some sort, but instead I find myself looking at £300 Citroen BXs and Triumph Acclaims on Gumtree and thinking "yeah, that'd fit right in with the rest of the broken cars I can't afford".

On to the cars, the main attraction being my 1976 1850HL "50 Shades of Yellow" that I bought for £850 and is currently my daily driver, here is a picture of it before I sanded off some surface rust and sprayed it badly in the wrong shade of yellow with rattle cans:

Within a month of purchase I managed to plant it in to a steel fence backwards after a botched gear change on a wet roundabout and ruined the N/S rear wing, although judging by the other dent that's packed with filler it looks like somebody had already done the same. I also managed to destroy a halfshaft and one of my Sprint alloys (good for an extra 15hp) in the incident, so now it's sitting on it's original steelies but painted black (good for an extra 5hp).

It's only broken down on me twice. once with some sort of fuel delivery related problem which may or may not have been an empty fuel tank and once when the thermostat jammed shut and it overheated and blew out some O-rings for the cooling system. It has recently developed a taste for coolant and oil which is rather annoying, although it's done 89,300 miles which is about 80,000 more miles than BL engineering is designed to last, I'm keeping my eye on eBay for replacement engines... 
      I tried to keep ahead of the rust a bit by rubbing down the arches and re-painting them, but apparently rattle can paint isn't great when you are spraying it at -5C, it also highlighted how although my car might have been Inca Yellow in 1976 it's now more of a "cat piss" sort of shade. So I ended up with the wrong shade of yellow which has rust coming back through after 5 weeks. Did I mention I'm incompetent?

The other car is the first "classic" car I bought, so I can't bear to sell it. It's a '77 Dolomite 1300 and it cost £1400 (about £400 too much) and has been nothing but a pain in the arse:

It looks much prettier (from 100 yards) but that's most due to the darker paintwork hiding the rust. It lives a mollycoddled life in my garage, where it somehow still manages to rust, and is utterly rubbish. 0-60 is measured on a calendar, top speed is 80ish but at that point it uses more oil than petrol, it rarely ventures over 50mph and if you encounter an incline of any sort you can kiss that sort of speed goodbye, along with about £20 of 20W50 as it vanishes out of the exhaust in the form of blue smoke.

One of the PO's had clearly never heard of the term "oil change" so it developed into brown sludge that coated everything internally with the next owner(s) blissfully pouring fresh oil on top of it. This lasted until about 600 miles into my ownership when there was muffled "pop" from the engine bay and the car became a 3-cylinder. The cause was catastrophic wear to the top end causing a rocker arm to snap:

As this was my first classic car I'd assumed it was supposed to sound like the engine was full of marbles, it wasn't.

I put the engine back together with second hand bits declared it utterly fucked and promptly did another 5000 miles with it. After about 3500 of those miles the oil burning started, valve seals have gone so it's been relegated to my parent's garage as a backup car and something to take to local car shows as the 1850 is now embarrassingly ugly. I'm keeping my eye on eBay for replacement engines (deja vu, anybody?) Oh, I also recently reversed it into a parked Ford Fiesta and royally fucked up the rear bumper, rear panel and bootlid. Did I mention I'm incompetent?

There have been two other cars in my life. My first car, a 2008 Toyota Yaris 1.0 an it's replacement a 2012 Corsa 1.4T. I didn't really want either of them, but it's a long story involving my parents and poor life choices. Ask if you want to hear it!

So that's a brief summary of my current shite. If you want more pictures or details of anything do say as I've got photos of almost everything I'd done with the cars.