I bought a big and joined the circus.

puddlethumper

2 hours ago, mark165 said:

Well, funny how the internet and real life collide.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread since you started it, thank you for all your efforts.

Today I went with the wife and kids to Folkestone to see the circus. First time for my wife and I in about thirty years. Very first time for my kids. My wife was pondering how long it took to set up and I thought I'd check here only to find it's the exact one!

My eldest (aged eight) now wants to grow up to be a clown.
My youngest (6) wants to be a dancer, with the hula hoops. But no eating fire. Too dangerous apparently. Also not too keen on having their bum out.

Seeing it all set up and in operation, with all the different people working really hits home how many hats people have to wear.

In today's day and age, what struck me was how honest the whole thing was.

A big thank you and please keep the updates coming.

It's live entertainment! How many kids have never seen such wonders?

1 hour ago, Spottedlaurel said:

As noted in the grin thread, saw the Puddlethumper combo myself on the M20 today:

Capture1.thumb.JPG.1f8eddc9bb551c062d52c59146a031b7.JPG

It came as a surprise to Mrs SL to learn that I knew someone who worked for the circus. Explaing the living/working arrangements etc gave us an additional topic of conversation as we plodded through the 50mph section of M20.

She should really know better :)

15 hours ago, mark165 said:

Well, funny how the internet and real life collide.

I've really enjoyed reading this thread since you started it, thank you for all your efforts.

Today I went with the wife and kids to Folkestone to see the circus. First time for my wife and I in about thirty years. Very first time for my kids. My wife was pondering how long it took to set up and I thought I'd check here only to find it's the exact one!

My eldest (aged eight) now wants to grow up to be a clown.
My youngest (6) wants to be a dancer, with the hula hoops. But no eating fire. Too dangerous apparently. Also not too keen on having their bum out.

Seeing it all set up and in operation, with all the different people working really hits home how many hats people have to wear.

In today's day and age, what struck me was how honest the whole thing was.

A big thank you and please keep the updates coming.

In answer to 'how long to set up' stuff that is not absolutely vital is moved a couple of days before the rest. Last show is finished by 5pm and during the second half the foyer tent is pulled down and the water system is being wrapped up. By about 11, midnight everything is packed and being moved out. Building up takes a bit longer, no more than 2 days. First day tent goes up, circle built and all lighting in. Second day is fitting all the seats and some other bits. I've seen it all back up in a day although not normally. We are now in the OAP centre of Britain, so I believe, sunny Eastbourne.

4 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

Just found out that it costs 10 grand to use this site for a week up front. Also it costs the same per week for dizzle. Expensive things circuses. Total expenses per week, 60 grand.

That's a helluva lot of tickets and candy floss to sell. A couple of duff weeks must make all involved a bit edgy.

• 6 months later...

Thread resurrection. As I haven't seen anybody from the circus since last October there was many hugs from every body  saying they had missed me,  when I met them at Haydock Race course to move everything to Norwich Showground. I've never had that much of a reaction before. They are a good bunch of people and there is rarely any problems between anybody. Going to be here for about 3 weeks and I have got a fair bit of work to do that would have been done if I had been there in Holland, 4 weeks Xmas New Year, Glasgow, 2 weeks, Haydock, 1 week so a fair bit of stuff to sort. Starting with 2 bunk wagons that have leaks when it rains. What joy, chasing leaks. The water system I had has been somewhat wrecked by those that didn't have much of a clue so there's a few days to get that back to how I like it. I knew that would happen but I've said that I need to show somebody how it's done when I'm not there. Which at my age could be at any moment, or if my ankle gets any worse then I'm going to have to give it up. 

There's been a few minor changes. A few different trucks, different performers, but not all, some new showgirls, etc. I shall leave you with 2 pic of my new circus 'rig'. One of where we are and a dizzel shot. If anyone wants to know what its like let me know. I'm sure you will notice a slight anomaly. 

20240226_174249 - Copy.jpg

20240225_193911.jpg

The fake Volvo, or is it a Fake Iveco? Story is it was something a Volvo dealer had and the trailer was used for promoting Volvo stuff. As to driving it its shit. It's ferkin gutless and you have to wring its neck to get anywhere. Hills on the motorway sees it down to under 40mph and getting back up to 55 takes about a bloody week. The back wheels of the Iveco/Volvo bounce on the slightest bump and bangs you back against the seat, which after about half an hour is enough. Ergonomic my arse. I don't know how heavy the shop trailer is but its got to be 4 ton or so. So I am with @Cavcraft. Ivecos are shit and it looks like I will be driving it all season. What fuckin joy*.

Sounds pretty much exactly like the 75E14, except you haven't mentioned stopping for fuel 25 times a day.

At least there's enough room in the trailer for the chimpanzees who made it.

1 hour ago, Pieman said:

So do you have to make two trips to pick up both Big and Volvic?  You can't drive both at the same time.

Sorry if I'm being thick.

You're not. I doubt any of us can drive two vehicles at the same time, unless one conveys or tows the other. ;)

Great to see an update on this, even if they've given you the gutless wonder to drive!

Do you/have you ever get to play with any of the bigger stuff, like the Peterbilt? Even a whizz round the field in that would be something to enjoy I reckon.

On 29/02/2024 at 11:20, puddlethumper said:

The full itinerary isn't up yet. If you go to the Circus Vegas website you will know as much as I do. The first 4/5 are on there and will be added to as they are confirmed.

Thank you - found it now :)
UK TOUR 2024:

Lakeside Shopping Centre, Grays, RM20 2ZW Wed Mar 27th to Sun Apr 14th 2024

Swansea, Mumbles Recreation Ground, SA2 0AU Wed Apr 17th to Sun Apr 28th 2024

Sandown Park Racecourse, Esher, KT10 9AJ Wed May 1st to Mon May 6th 2024

Stevenage, Fairlands Valley Park, SG2 9BN Wed May 8th to Sun May 12th 2024

19 minutes ago, Verysleepyboy said:

Thank you - found it now :)
UK TOUR 2024:

Lakeside Shopping Centre, Grays, RM20 2ZW Wed Mar 27th to Sun Apr 14th 2024

Swansea, Mumbles Recreation Ground, SA2 0AU Wed Apr 17th to Sun Apr 28th 2024

Sandown Park Racecourse, Esher, KT10 9AJ Wed May 1st to Mon May 6th 2024

Stevenage, Fairlands Valley Park, SG2 9BN Wed May 8th to Sun May 12th 2024

If you, or anyone, comes to a show if you pm me before I may be able to give a bit of a tour.

• 1 month later...