I bought a big and joined the circus.

puddlethumper

It looks like we will be moving to Stirling on Monday and Tuesday because the first show is on Thursday, instead of Wednesday, and only an hour away. Off to Dublin tomorrow driving the Tranny pickup with a horse box full of lighting and lecky stuff. If it wasn't for the Circus Vegas wrap I'd look well pikey. 

I've got bugger all to do till tomorrow so I'll show you the machinery on site. There is a low loader that hauls them around. I haven't got a photo of the hammer for the pins which might interest someone. Actually I've just noticed it's in the first pic. Pneumatic thingy. To think that before these it would a big manual bugger and when you consider the pins are 4ft long and all that's above ground after is about 6inches it was big muscle time, and the four main uprights are now electrically winched up which, obviously, makes it easier. Still hard work getting the canvas up..

I'll do a bit more later but at the moment the offy and food are calling.

DSC01201 (1).JPG

DSC01202 (1).JPG

2 hours ago, Dan302 said:

I'm really enjoying the behind the scenes photos/write up from the circus, absolutely fascinating thank you. 

Cheers Dan. There is more to come as you can imagine. Haven't done much on the people yet. I hate the word soap opera but I reckon you  could make one from this.

For the performers and crew that don't have there own caravan or other accommodation there are three bunk house trailers with a number of bunk rooms each. Not luxury of course but good basic stuff with lecky, water, and I think some sort of cooking apparatus so you can make your coffee/tea, snacks breakfast etc. I haven't seen inside one yet but that's the sort of facilities you get. I'll see if I can get a pic.

DSC01209.JPG

DSC01210.JPG

In the first pic, on the right, is a shower unit which has in the back two washing machines and a tumble dryer which was my job to get in and get water and lecky to. Another thing I put together was a tap to garden hose frame where six caravans/RV's etc can plug in. There are now three of these and there may come a fourth. Going to see how it goes with three first. Basically there is a certain way everything is laid out, with the exception now and again. It's sort of horse shoe shape where the front is the open bit and the rest is an inner and outer circle with enough room to get a vehicle around. Although it doesn't always completely work out. With these tap things I can put one half way down each side and across the back and nearly everyone can get water. The catering wagons get a separate one for now. This is all about making things quicker and more efficient. From the standpipe to these will be 20mm plastic pipe and the one nearest will be a straight through to either the next two or split to the others. Anyway here's a pic of the one from today.

DSC01229.JPG

1 minute ago, puddlethumper said:

In the first pic, above on the right, is a shower unit which has in the back two washing machines and a tumble dryer which was my job to get in and get water and lecky to. Another thing I put together was a tap to garden hose frame where six caravans/RV's etc can plug in. There are now three of these and there may come a fourth. Going to see how it goes with three first. Basically there is a certain way everything is laid out, with the exception now and again. It's sort of horse shoe shape where the front is the open bit and the rest is an inner and outer circle with enough room to get a vehicle around. Although it doesn't always completely work out. With these tap things I can put one half way down each side and across the back and nearly everyone can get water. The catering wagons get a separate one for now. This is all about making things quicker and more efficient. From the standpipe to these will be 20mm plastic pipe and the one nearest will be a straight through to either the next two or split to the others. Anyway here's a pic of the one from today.

DSC01229.JPG

10 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

For the performers and crew that don't have there own caravan or other accommodation there are three bunk house trailers with a number of bunk rooms each. Not luxury of course but good basic stuff with lecky, water, and I think some sort of cooking apparatus so you can make your coffee/tea, snacks breakfast etc. I haven't seen inside one yet but that's the sort of facilities you get. I'll see if I can get a pic.

DSC01209.JPG

DSC01210.JPG

They look like police cells.

On 6/24/2022 at 11:00 PM, puddlethumper said:

DSC01209.JPG

DSC01210.JPG

Used to call those the dog boxes, mostly only the single guys used them everybody else had something of their own.

12 hours ago, puddlethumper said:

I know you all love* a guessing game so here's one. How much per week, in expenses, do you think it costs to have this show on the road ?

Absolutely shit loads, I'm assuming the acts are on a % of the door money and the rest are on a wage? 

Here's a pic of Ivors yard and the donkeys. Folklore says it's good luck to have a donkey with the markings of a cross on its arse which his Jack and Jenny have. May be there's a connection with a cross on a donkeys arse and God. A bit odd. The little one is only a few months old and rather cute.

DSC01222.JPG

DSC01223.JPG

DSC01224.JPG

Really enjoying reading this! Couple of observations...

DAF fuel gauges - they all do that. I had an XF years ago with an 'eco' LPG kit fitted, which made it 120L of gas, 85L of diesel. Notwithstanding that the LPG was a nightmare to fill (and I had a couple of lovely gas burns up my right arm) if the gas gauge went red, the diesel gauge went orange pretty soon after. Although I also had a CF that the needle just swung about at random. A dipper of thick steel wire did a better job! Fuel gauges aren't one of DAF's strengths apparently.

Stand pipes - I used to move water into festival sites, about 20,000L a go. We used to get the metered pipes off local councils, but the old fireman's stand pipe did the bulk of the work. In a quarter of the time. Was that what Scottish Water's man's problem was? I know we kept an eye out for council clipboard warriors in the hedges, cos the fireman's pipe wasn't exactly legit for our purposes.

6 minutes ago, CreepingJesus said:

Really enjoying reading this! Couple of observations...

DAF fuel gauges - they all do that. I had an XF years ago with an 'eco' LPG kit fitted, which made it 120L of gas, 85L of diesel. Notwithstanding that the LPG was a nightmare to fill (and I had a couple of lovely gas burns up my right arm) if the gas gauge went red, the diesel gauge went orange pretty soon after. Although I also had a CF that the needle just swung about at random. A dipper of thick steel wire did a better job! Fuel gauges aren't one of DAF's strengths apparently.

Stand pipes - I used to move water into festival sites, about 20,000L a go. We used to get the metered pipes off local councils, but the old fireman's stand pipe did the bulk of the work. In a quarter of the time. Was that what Scottish Water's man's problem was? I know we kept an eye out for council clipboard warriors in the hedges, cos the fireman's pipe wasn't exactly legit for our purposes.

I'm not sure whether Water man thought it was theirs or took it for, very, safe keeping. Didn't ask. He was back with it within a few minutes. Just glad to get it back.