I bought a big and joined the circus.

puddlethumper

On 7/5/2022 at 9:54 PM, High Jetter said:

[Rant (not personal)] A stay is temporary. You LIVE just outside of Ayr[/Rant]

D'ye ken that was the second thing to get me when moving to the Borders after "d'ye support Rangers or Celtic" "wut?" "are ye a protestant or a taig?" "I have absolutely no idea what you're on about."

Now I find "where'dya stay" quite comforting if I hear it. Aside from childhood rugby/football-focused bigotry the place was way nicer than the bits of England I've lived.

• puddlethumper changed the title to I bought a big and joined the circus.

Excellent thread. Seems you've solved several issues at one fell swoop. Where to stay, income, companionship. Not had much to do with circuses. Did go to one once many years ago and the amount of multi tasking surprised me. A lady was taking the money on the way in, did a trapeze act in the first half, sold hot dogs in the interval and a dog act in the second half.

30 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

Excellent thread. Seems you've solved several issues at one fell swoop. Where to stay, income, companionship. Not had much to do with circuses. Did go to one once many years ago and the amount of multi tasking surprised me. A lady was taking the money on the way in, did a trapeze act in the first half, sold hot dogs in the interval and a dog act in the second half.

Yeah, I went to one last year and it was much the same. 

Acts were not like they were when I was a kid though. No seals playing horns and clowns in cars, it was all death defying acrobatics and motorbikes flying over my head. Really good.

41 minutes ago, Dobloseven said:

There are very few who only have one job. The only two I can think of is Jackie who does phone bookings from 9am to 9pm, so doesn't have time for anything else, and Jonny the electrician. All the performers help set up the staging and seating. This is partly just how it's always been but, for example, in Dublin they can't get enough staff to run everything so if you know anyone over there who fancies it there are jobs to be had. 

I have to go back up to Glasgow today to take the Scottish Waters' standpipe back because they will courier it out but won't let us courier it back FFS.

I've only ever been to a circus once when I was a kid, can't remember the name of it but it was a small set up on a local non-league football ground and had just a small array of acrobats, clowns, and performances with horses and dogs if I remember rightly.  Got to ride a circus horse round the show ring after the performance which was good, and I also remember glimpsing their trucks parked up, all old ERFs I think.

You certainly sound like you're living the dream @puddlethumper - if the circus comes back to the Midlands any time soon let me know and I'll pop along.

It's all a bit quiet on the circus front. The party was all good fun and some got a bit pissed on the Peroni that was provided, and there was a mountain of food. The Moroccans BBQed the meat. Steak and chicken Moroccan style was damned tasty. Lee, a rather vociferous geordy, got hold of a mike and tried to get some karaoke going but luckily failed although he did manage to get a conga line started. 

I had to take the stand pipe back to Glasgow today because Scottish bloody Water wouldn't let us courier it. Took the Transit rather than the Ldv as you can imagine. The gear shift on the Ldv is the 'stirring week old porridge and hoping to pick something out' type and hops out of fifth quite a lot. Seat is as hard as fukin nails for my poor boney ass and the row with 4 seats across, each seat is too narrow for me, and I'm a right skinny bugger, so I can't imagine how you could get 4 fat buggers in. The Tranny is alright. Goes well, 6 speed so M/way is 70 and 2500rpm ish. It still used 120 squids worth of dizzle and about six hours of my time, although I wasn't doing much anyway, Got a couple of little jobs to do before Saturday so no hurry there. Taking it easy time. 

There could be a Toob vid coming but probably not until next season. Plans are afoot, other parts of the body are available. 

I don't normally take pics of what I do, forget, but I did manage it today. The retail unit that sells candy floss, drinks, sweets etc, were having to put the slush machines on the floor when travelling so needed a solution. First crap pic is looking through the door. Second of machines and third of the solution. I need a better camera.

DSC01270.JPG

DSC01271.JPG

DSC01272.JPG

8 minutes ago, Back_For_More said:

Apologies if I meesed it - but are you and your BIG hauling around with them or the Pug shed and using their quarters with BIG parked up securely? 

Sorry again if it's said somewhere - I'm on catch up 

I'm hauling Big and Pug around at their expense. Their accommodation is all in use.

Got to Manor Heath Park in Halifax at about half eleven. Had a scoff and off to bed. This morning before I got up Ivor was gone and I'm still not sure why we came here yesterday. I had a few things I could've done in Newcastle. 

As I am water manager my first duty is to see if the nearest hydrant is in a usable position. In this case it most definitely isn't as it's in the middle, on the white line, of Saville Park Rd, which is quite busy, so that's a non starter. Ok. Start looking for alternatives. Chip shop up the road is close but still have to cross a road. Trotted off to the nearest buildings to see if there was anything usable. Entrance to Manor Heath Park childrens adventure park has a few private houses so knocked the nearest one. A woman answered and when I explained the situation and asked if we could use her outside tap she said she didn't think there was a problem but would have a chat with her partner. So I'll go down later about 6/7 and bribe them with money and tickets to let us use it. I'll start on £150 and a couple of tickets but there is room to haggle. 

Looks like I'm going to be here all day doing precisely fuck all. I'm getting bored.

Here's a, shit, pic of the site. In the background, on the other side of the middle clump of trees, is where the water is. Hope there's enough pipe.

DSC01275.JPG