I bought a big and joined the circus.

puddlethumper

28 minutes ago, willswitchengage said:

I thought the Dart just used Bs (with a strange tone difference between the early and later variants)? I believe the larger and rarer Lance had the C series.

ZOMG though, what a symphony.

Edit - I think their last fire trucks also used the C series, albeit they must have been only 4x2s.

The Lance did use the C as well.

The first Darts used the B (step Dart, Dart SLF etc). Around 1999 Dennis enlarged the Dart chassis to 11.3m, shoved a Cummins C 8.3 hooked up to an Allison B300 or Voith D853/4 in the back and called it the Super Pointer Dart - almost all were bodied by Plaxton. SPDs were easy to spot because they all sagged at the back end, the chassis and body frame weren’t really up to the job of holding the extra weight. Stagecoach, Lothian and Cardiff Bus bought a number of them, the ones at Stagecoach Gloucester went ok but were very arse heavy.

Around 2002 Dennis started fitting the updated ISB4/6 engines instead to the Dart, which changed how they drove and sounded. The 4 pot examples were quick but very laggy away from a standstill. 

12 minutes ago, Mally said:

15 to the gallon's not bad when hauling all that about.

Looks fine to me.

Are you living in it permanently?

My intention is to live in it as I'm considering retiring next year. Going to get a braked dolly and stick my 305 van on the back and wander about a bit. Sort of retro rig scene. It's the newest vehicle I've ever owned. I've advanced from the eighties to the nineties in one purchase. I think I'll have a lie down so I can take in this sudden advancement. 

43 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

A mechanic told me that for not much loot you can get 600 fuckin horse out of these engines. Drifting Motorhome yo.

Cummins C series is old school. Turn the pump up, fit a bleed valve and 600hp should be achievable. It would definitely do worse than the teens to the gallon it currently gets though 😂

6 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

Going to get a braked dolly and stick my 305 van on the back and wander about a bit.  

I'd be more inclined to hang a bike  across the back, or an electric scooter inside.

It's long enough as it is, and you would never reverse it with the van on.

3 minutes ago, Nyphur said:

Those interior shots are fantastic. Like ready to roll really.

You say you intend to live aboard and mooch around a bit - do you think you will stay in the UK, or do you have any plans for continental travel?

I have friends in Spain, Portugal (where I lived for 18 years) and in Holland. So, yes, it's just a matter of which 90 days are the best to fuck off. Bloody Brexshit. 

1 minute ago, Mally said:

I'd be more inclined to hang a bike  across the back, or an electric scooter inside.

It's long enough as it is, and you would never reverse it with the van on.

I was driving tractors with trailers when I was 13 and this has a rather good rear camera which makes it shit loads easier. There are two viewing screens with slightly different distance views so maybe two cameras. Dunno. 

14 minutes ago, puddlethumper said:

I was driving tractors with trailers when I was 13 and this has a rather good rear camera which makes it shit loads easier. There are two viewing screens with slightly different distance views so maybe two cameras. Dunno. 

Van on trailer yes.

Van on dolly is harder.

20 minutes ago, Sir Chocolate Teapot said:

I've just moved back to UK and need a new home, this would be ideal , maybe, if I had somewhere to park it.

If you want to stay in one spot farms are a good possibility for not much dosh. While I'm still working I've got a couple of places not far away. One is a secure warehouse scene and the other is a caravan and motorhome storage site where the owner has had a couple of caravans stolen from and I reckon will be up for a bit of on site security. The other thing you can offer is a few hours a week doing stuff to pay for the park up. Depends what you are good at and if you can trade it.

15 to the gallon is pretty decent for that. I used to get 8mpg in my L10 powered Leyland Olympian. It truly was a 6 wheeler though... yours is 4 wheel, 6 tyres... ya fucking TEASE!!!

Although I can see where Mr @Inspector Moroseis coming from with his low opinion of Cummins C series engines, they are a nice engine when in good fettle (esp in 24v guise) but they are a VERY SOFT engine, especially for commercial applications.